GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
The 17" wheels I have on the Subaru are 16 lbs and they are some of the lightest on the market, so 19.4 is pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The OEM gen1 wheels are right at 19 pounds weight also, but my scale isn't that accurate. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using a digital home scale. It probably isn't incredibly accurate, although it got the same reading all 3 times, so it is precise.

I am happy with the construction of the wheel. It definitely is sturdy compared to some of the many aftermarket wheels I've bought. I think they've hit a good compromise of cost, weight, and durability.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I'd just love to see if we could get 9.9lbs 15" rims to fit, low rolling resistance tires and aluminum hat rotors...Could be a 10-15 mile range improvement, yet obviously wouldn't be as pothole resistant or cheap as OEM...Already seen a few people spend $2K+ to go to 18"s...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd just love to see if we could get 9.9lbs 15" rims to fit, low rolling resistance tires and aluminum hat rotors...Could be a 10-15 mile range improvement, yet obviously wouldn't be as pothole resistant or cheap as OEM...Already seen a few people spend $2K+ to go to 18"s...
I think you vastly overestimate the range impact of unsprung weight.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I think you vastly overestimate the range impact of unsprung weight.
I autocross and am used to switching OEM wheels/tires for race ones at the track (haven't yet tried the Volt)...While unsprug weight is considered the be the largest factor, there's the inertia factor too...Downsizing rim sizes brings the bulk of the wheel weight closer to the center...Lastly going to a skinner 185mm will further reduce the contact patch...But we'll never know until someone tries...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Inertia effects are highly offset by regenerative braking. On the highway, it merely serves as energy storage at steady speeds. When I was on SAE Supermileage in college, we were in 2nd place until the last run of the day. We threw some mass in the car and gained like 250 mpg. If Chevy could have drastically lightened the wheels and got anywhere near the amount of range mentioned, I think they would have happily done so and taken money out of the battery. That would have been a much better mile/dollar cost.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Poked around on the Prius forum. A few people have experimented with super light wheels. The end result...absolutely nothing haha. No appreciable change in mileage. Car felt different (as would be expected), but energy expenditure was the same.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I am stunned by suggestions that anyone wants to reduce the amount of safety provided by their tires. In the mountains, nearly everyone buys aggressive, enormous, all-terrain tires on their chosen vehicle of pick-up truck, AWD Subaru, or Tahoe-class SUV. Return to the planet Earth. The environment is hostile and dangerous. A little savings for MPG is not going to do much if you are dead.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I am stunned by suggestions that anyone wants to reduce the amount of safety provided by their tires. In the mountains, nearly everyone buys aggressive, enormous, all-terrain tires on their chosen vehicle of pick-up truck, AWD Subaru, or Tahoe-class SUV. Return to the planet Earth. The environment is hostile and dangerous. A little savings for MPG is not going to do much if you are dead.
Lighter weight aluminum wheels as used by racers are typically forged, not cast. Forging makes the wheels far stronger, but is also a more expensive process. Lots of aftermarket wheels that "look good" weigh a lot more than factory wheels - so you have to watch what you buy. And as the late, great, Colin Chapman used to say, weight is the enemy of performance.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Ah yes, the proverbial "someone".

Learn by doing I always say.
If only I didn't lease...Big problem is they don't make them in the Volts size so they'll need to be custom or have the wheels wheels redrilled...The dirt cheap light rims are often 100x4...

Poked around on the Prius forum. A few people have experimented with super light wheels. The end result...absolutely nothing haha. No appreciable change in mileage. Car felt different (as would be expected), but energy expenditure was the same.
Care to post the thread? I googled "super light prius" and nothing came up, yet when I did Prius light weight wheels in google, the result followed the law of physics and said it increased MPGs but that as I stated, tires and downsizing (Volt has 19lbs 17s, going to 17lbs 18 could actually be worse)...But again, we never truly know unless we try...

CF wheels would be awesome...

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
If only I didn't lease...Big problem is they don't make them in the Volts size so they'll need to be custom or have the wheels wheels redrilled...The dirt cheap light rims are often 100x4...
Since you won't be learning by doing, 15" wheels won't fit around the brakes. Neither will 16" wheels. Unless you intend to replace the brakes too you're SOL.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Care to post the thread? I googled "super light prius" and nothing came up, yet when I did Prius light weight wheels in google, the result followed the law of physics and said it increased MPGs but that as I stated, tires and downsizing (Volt has 19lbs 17s, going to 17lbs 18 could actually be worse)...But again, we never truly know unless we try...

CF wheels would be awesome...

I can't find both that I looked at, but here's one.
http://priuschat.com/threads/16-oem-wheel-weights-options.162553/

The other thread had a guy replace his Prius C wheels/tires with some ultra-light (like 11 pounds) race wheels. Didn't do anything noticable/measurable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts