GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently plugged my stock charger into a few different outlets and it seems to flip the breaker every time. It almost like shorts before I even get it plugged in as I've noticed sparks.

Last week, the charger was working on the same outlets but as I returned to my car after work it had stopped charging. It hasn't worked since.

I was trying it again and saw a spark today and took a closer look at the prong and realized that one side is black and looks like the exterior metal prong cover might have melted. I've attached a pic. Do y'all think this means the charger is bad? My 2014 is still under warranty, but would this also cover the charger?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Looks more like you have bad outlets and are trying to charge at 12 amps instead of 8 which is a problem with older homes or if you dont have a dedicated outlet. Replace the outlet that you will be using and make sure nothing else is on that circuit. Use 8amps first. then try 12.

If the charger is defective it is covered under the Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Don't use that EVSE until you get it checked out at your dealer. Looks like you have a short to neutral, that's the neutral blade that's been arcing. I also notice some melted plastic at the base of the hot side blade. Something looks askew.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Looks like the EVSE plug is shorted. Any outlet that this has been plugged into needs to be replaced. The spring action within the outlets is probably damaged if it arc/sparked. This damage was probably caused by a worn outlet in the first place.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Definitely something wrong with the charger. Anything that trips a breaker right away when plugged in has a short in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts