GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 38,000 miles so GM does not want to talk to me.
I had previously done the level 2 conversion, which worked great for the last year and a half. Recently, the large black relay box inside got very hot and "let out the factory smoke" I get a red light on the outside and it will no longer go green for obvious reasons.
1) I have talked with the technician at Clippercreek extensively. Although very helpful, they do not sell these parts.
2) To complicate things I purchased the
PCS-15 so that I could convert it, which I have, but it shows a ground fault light. (The clippercreek versions have 4 lights instead of 2.) Any help would be appreciated. To either one of these problems.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
So let me get this straight. The OEM charger emitted black smoke and the Clipper Creek ground faults after the mid? My recommendation is to quit this hobby of modifying EVSEs and just buy a new L2. Sorry if this sounds snarky, but playing with high voltage electricity in order to save a little money doesn't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
So wait, the OEM emitted black smoke and the CC ground faults after the mods? My recommendation is to give up this EVSE hobby and boy an L2

·
Registered
679 Posts
OpenEVSE it. Get the basic kit, I've been using an open evse kit for 4 yrs works great. Set the max amps to 16 and you should be fine. A little over $100 gets it fixed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If your ground fault is when operating the cc on level 1, your black and white wires may be reversed at the plug. I used a 20 amp twist-lock, and when I made the level 1 pigtail I got the white and black reversed. No damage, just didn't work. 240v worked fine.
I like the open EVSE idea. I'll consider that if my voltec dies.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Can you convert it back to L1? The charger is covered under the 8yr/100k Voltec warranty. Perhaps if it looks untampered with, they will replace it for free?

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
Can you convert it back to L1? The charger is covered under the 8yr/100k Voltec warranty. Perhaps if it looks untampered with, they will replace it for free?
It's unethical to make a mod to a device that obviously voids the manufacturer's warranty, then attempt to cover up the mod to get a free fix. Sure you might be able to get away with it, but I question one's character of suggesting this. Can you sleep at night? What about the big guy upstairs? If you were a business owner, how would you feel if you discover someone else taking advantage of you in a similar manner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to those who tried to help.
I have found the problem, as I have had a little more time to troubleshoot.
I went back to the basics to check continuity and voltage!
Here's what happened:
Since there wasn't any obvious damage to my incoming 4 conductor cable. I decided to remove it from the OEM and use it on my new Clippercreek PCS-15. Well, surprise that didn't work.. Problem was the 4c/#14 cable! The ground wire inside of the cable was broken. (Sometimes it would make contact and work.) This is a pretty rare event which is why I never checked this. I would also surmise that this created my trouble with the OEM model as well. Anyways......
Everything is working tip top again.
120v, 208v, 240v it all works on the PCS-15

·
Registered
208 Posts
inflation, he said four years ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts