GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time buying a new car. I factory ordered a new Volt and I am wondering what to expect for the odometer reading. The manual says that the engine break-in is already done, so does that mean there will be a fair amount of mileage already on the car when I take delivery?

·
Registered
706 Posts
It will likely be in single digits, breaking in at the factory doesn't mean putting miles on it.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Having ordered several new cars over the decades I can tell you the miles on the car at delivery can vary from just a few to over 25. A lot depends on how much distance the car has to be driven during the delivery process and where the dealer has to go to fill the gas tank. My Corvettes had the most miles at delivery OFF the truck as some get selected for what they call a QUALITY AUDIT performed by Corvette engineers. This is a coveted process because ANY defect found is correct at the factory before being released for shipment.

Here's a photo of the mileage on my 2014 Stingray immediately after it came off the truck. I was there to see it being delivered

But most vehicles don't get any special testing prior to being loaded for shipping

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm jealous. I've never seen such a low odometer reading. Will definitely take a pic of mine when I get it for memory sake.
Did the dealer call you to watch the delivery or were you tracking it yourself?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I'm jealous. I've never seen such a low odometer reading. Will definitely take a pic of mine when I get it for memory sake.
Did the dealer call you to watch the delivery or were you tracking it yourself?
Yes, I work about 15 minutes from my dealer and they asked the truck driver to call with his ETA, I was there to watch it being delivered

·
Registered
340 Posts
single digits

I have purchased a few new cars this way. They always had single digit mileage. 4, 7, etc..

If I factory ordered a car that ended up with something like 50 miles on it I would be wondering what the H... was going on with the car.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
My '16 Spark EV I leased a couple of months ago had 4 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My new ELR had 221 miles on the odo. It was a lot car for 13mos though. I bought a Dodge Intrepid a while back and it had 3,000 miles but was still considered 'new'. I got a considerable discount for buying a demo car. Never ordered one from the factory, but, may do that for the CT6.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My Gen 1 Volt had 7 miles on it when I first test drove it. Drove it off the lot with 12. My Gen 2 had 24 miles, but only because my sales guy was out playing in it before I picked it up. Neither one was factory ordered though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2017 (delivered 2 weeks ago) had 3 miles on it. I picked it up as soon as it was ready and the dealer knew I would not be happy if they used it for test drives. (It was their first with ACC.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine wasn't factory ordered, but it hadn't been delivered to the dealer yet when I bought it, so I got it right off the truck. After the dealer went to get gas, it had 6 miles on it when I drove off the lot.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sometimes they get selected for "additional QC" and get additional testing - my Fusion in 2013 had 38 miles on it when I first saw it the morning it came off the delivery truck, and it still had all of the packaging/pre-PDI stuff on it, so nobody from the dealer had been driving it around.

However in 2015 my Volt only had 4 miles on it when I drove off the lot, and most all of my purchases have had single digit odometer readings when I took delivery.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just remember, the warranty does not start at zero miles but the at the mileage on the odometer when the car is delivered to you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts