GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am on my third Volt 2012, 2015, and 2018 current. I am only 6 months in and have driven this Volt the least related to long trips and daily commute and mileage seems way off. Has anyone had issues with their Odometer readings? I did try to compare it to a route via my phone and it seemed close but miles have to be way off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Odometer seems off

I am on my third Volt. i had a 2012, 1015, and current 2018. I know i need to get a lot more scientific, but figure i would ask. I have owned my current Volt for 6 months, and being very familiar with my driving habits, my odometer is way off from where it should be. I know this statement without much actual data driving it, but i have compared it to phone GPS and it does seem a little off, but it just seems crazy off. Anyone have anything like this?

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Tires with a smaller or larger diameter than the OEM?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can check, it has 13,000 posted miles and factory tires so would be very interesting if that was the case.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I find it hard to believe the odo if off. I retired from GM a couple of years ago as a powertrain calibration engineer. Making sure the odo/speedo calibration was dead on was part of the job. In fact on vehicles that offered multiple sizes of tires/axle ratios the calibration was different for each combination even if the difference was only 1%. Now if the vehicle was to be sold overseas, the speedo cal was modified to meet that countries laws. For instance some countries required the speedo to be 6% optimistic. Odo was still required to be dead on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not overseas, it was a demo model, issue is i drive between 15,000 to 18,000 miles a year like clock work. I am at 11,000 ( less the 2000 already on it as demo) 6 month’s in and i was out of commission for 2 months from surgery.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Check the odo against mile markers on the shoulder of the road. All Interstates and many other roads have them.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Any chance it is somehow displaying kilometers rather than miles? The car does have a way to switch units. Of course it should be obvious due to the way the speedometer is displaying, but maybe this could be a glitch and is not matching the two?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Check the odo against mile markers on the shoulder of the road. All Interstates and many other roads have them.
That's what I was thinking. You could also check the speed with a GPS app because if your odo is off, your speed will be off too. I've done that with mine and the speed is exact. If it's off any at all, I'd need decimal places to tell.

Mike

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
....mileage seems way off. ....
You need data to support this feeling.
Do you have a Garmin?
Do you have a smart phone?

Next time you have a trip planned, zero out the trip odometer, note the main odometer, start a GPS based app on the phone and let it play along. Keep the phone where it can see the sky.

Highways sometimes have odometer test areas and the mile marker signs are probably accurate but it's difficult to start a test.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes, with the proper smartphone app, it should be trivial to validate the odometer for any given driving trip. If that checks out, is it possible that during the 2 months that you were not driving, the garage attendants from Ferris Bueller's Day Off were driving your car for you?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Our 2016 Volt Premier still has factory Michelin Energy Saver AS tires even at nearly 53,000 miles. I have checked the speedometer
several times against a radar trailer, the type place by local police to slow traffic in problem area, and the speedometer is right on the money. Now the odometer I have not checked but I believe that there is a law or mandate that the odometer has to be accurate due
to warranty being based on miles as well as time.

For those who have accurate measured mile markers on their highway it would be quite simple to see how accurate the odometer is. It may take over 20 miles to see any discrepency, if any. Most if not all new vehicle odometers today will under read a little more than over read. For instance 100 true miles driven may only show 98-99 miles on the odometer. I doubt that it would be over 100 miles with a new car and standard size or factory tires.

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
I'm not clear how off, "seems way off" is. "I went 50 miles based on (phone, Garmin, mile markers, something), but the car read 'n' miles" could be helpful.
Is n 49.7 Odo miles? 67? 150? 12?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The way I read the post, he is saying that for a single trip, the odometer is reasonably close to accurate (or not off by a lot), but the total miles driven since the car was manufactured is showing way too high on the odometer compared to how much he thinks he has driven it in total since he bought the car.

But the data is not too clear because the main yardstick is how much he typically drives in a year. However, the car had mileage on it when he bought it, and there was a couple of months when he didn't drive at all.

Given the data, I think you should record your odometer reading, then record it again exactly one month later, and see how that looks. Remember to consider seasonal driving like if you typically take long driving vacations at a different time of year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Barry your spot in, i have owned the car 6 months, i drive like clock work 15,000 to 18,000 per year. For 1 1/2 months of the ownership i was not able to drive due to pretty serious surgery. The car did drive during the time, but very little. So at the 6 month point I am on track to be over 20,000 miles. Was truthfully hoping for a response of “ oh yah Known problem”, i will get a little more scientific on this and see what we come up with.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
This sounds like when I ask a coworker what the fuel economy is on her BA Mustang.
She'll reply with something like, "Well I fill up about once a week, and I spend $xx....".:rolleyes:

We live in a data driven world. We need data. YOU need data.

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Barry your spot in, i have owned the car 6 months, i drive like clock work 15,000 to 18,000 per year.
That's not clockwork, that's a sundial on a cloudy day, haha.

Was truthfully hoping for a response of “ oh yah Known problem”,
Nope, not a known problem and highly doubtful yours has a problem. Even if it did, the odo could be off by 20% and still hit your 3,000 unit spread for atomic clock accuracy. :)

I think you are worried about nothing, but you'll need to make some actual measurements if you want to be sure.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, I think just get some data. Plan a route via GPS or go 10 miles using mile markers on the highway or something. Are you sure someone hasn't been driving your car without you knowing it?

Mike

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
got to move the GPS switch from nautical mile setting :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts