GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the odometer on their Volt change? Took our 2012 in for a software upgrade a year ago and it came back with 60,000 miles less on the odometer. Not a problem then because I had no thoughts of trading, but now things have changed and I'd like to get it fixed. Just spent 4.5 hours at the dealership for them to replace the BCM only to have that not fix the problem. So now I have a loaner and they have no idea what's going on. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Has anyone had the odometer on their Volt change? Took our 2012 in for a software upgrade a year ago and it came back with 60,000 miles less on the odometer. Not a problem then because I had no thoughts of trading, but now things have changed and I'd like to get it fixed. Just spent 4.5 hours at the dealership for them to replace the BCM only to have that not fix the problem. So now I have a loaner and they have no idea what's going on. Any thoughts?
There are shady guys with laptops doing the round of used car lots who can set the odometer to any figure you want. Surely the dealer can put it to where it is supposed to be. They should have recorded the mileage when you brought the car in, and you know what it is now, so you should be able to come up with a plausible figure.

I wonder what would happen if you tried to renew your plates and the mileage had dropped 50,000 in the last year?

P.S. What did that do to your lifetime fuel mileage figure?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
At this point you may be screwed no matter what since you didn't complain immediately and get it fixed. Now that a year more driving has been put on the car, who knows what the real odometer reading should be? I don't know if they can legally "fix" the odometer without a notation on the title that the odometer reading is not indicative of the actual vehicle milage... and that can make it a lot lower value.

Keith

·
Registered
741 Posts
Back in the old days there was a sticker we would attach to the car when the mechanical odometer needed to be replaced. I thought that was flaky because the stickers were not known for long life. But that was the law then.

But I can tell you that if a dealer reset or changed the odometer in any way without a marking somewhere on the car, they most certainly have broken a law or two and are certainly capable of restoring the odometer to a reasonably correct number.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm not sure about the Volt, but in other GM cars, the odometer setting is usually in the cluster. Is the dealer saying it's in the BCM?
Have you checked with MyVolt, as an example, to see what they have as an odometer reading?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm not sure about the Volt, but in other GM cars, the odometer setting is usually in the cluster. Is the dealer saying it's in the BCM?
Have you checked with MyVolt, as an example, to see what they have as an odometer reading?
If MyVolt is the Onstar app, then it registers the same as the car. This whole thing has been shady from the get go and to say I'm angry that we will most likely get screwed is putting it lightly (I know I should have said something when it happened - no need to lecture on this). The dealer, however, had the gall to tell me that I must have screwed this up, his guys had nothing to do with it. Or I had another tech look at it when I got an oil change and they messed it up. Umm - it's a Volt. Haven't had the oil changed since before this problem started. So to call me a liar already set my teeth on edge. Now to have wasted half a day when I TOLD them it wasn't the BCM has be VERY VERY irritated at the whole situation.

Rant over...for now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If MyVolt is the Onstar app, then it registers the same as the car. This whole thing has been shady from the get go and to say I'm angry that we will most likely get screwed is putting it lightly (I know I should have said something when it happened - no need to lecture on this). The dealer, however, had the gall to tell me that I must have screwed this up, his guys had nothing to do with it. Or I had another tech look at it when I got an oil change and they messed it up. Umm - it's a Volt. Haven't had the oil changed since before this problem started. So to call me a liar already set my teeth on edge. Now to have wasted half a day when I TOLD them it wasn't the BCM has be VERY VERY irritated at the whole situation.

Rant over...for now.
Well I would not hesitate to call GM or Volt advisor or someone in control immediately. odometer tampering is illegal.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Well I would not hesitate to call GM or Volt advisor or someone in control immediately. odometer tampering is illegal.
Sounds like good advice to me. Finding the actual miles on the car should be a matter of checking the service records against the present reading, and doing some arithmetic. Re-setting should not be a problem either.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
AND YOU COMPLAINED!!?...:):rolleyes:

When I decide to sell my Volt, I think I'll need to visit that service center...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok I am going to play devil's advocate here for a min. How would anyone know that the odometer is screwed up? Especially if you sell it elsewhere (not at that dealer).

Now I know that what I said is dishonest and I am definitely NOT advocating that you do that, but I did have to ask the question...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ok I am going to play devil's advocate here for a min. How would anyone know that the odometer is screwed up? Especially if you sell it elsewhere (not at that dealer).

Now I know that what I said is dishonest and I am definitely NOT advocating that you do that, but I did have to ask the question...
the service ticket where the odometer lost miles is in the system. so in, say 80k and the next service 50k is kind of glaring. cars with unknown mileage take a huge hit in value. at least 25% and possibly more.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Here in Ontario, at least, the Kms on the car is recorded by the Ministry (no, not a clergyman) each time you renew your plates. Having the figure get smaller from one year to the next is going to raise some questions. You can't fib because there is also a regular emissions test.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
If you can't get the dealer or GM to fix it then I'd ask for some form of affidavit certifying what happened. Have you spoken with the dealers GM/Owner?

Barring that I would contact the GM Regional Manager and demand they buy the car back.

You own a vehicle with serious diminished value.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Myvolt may or may not use the same numbers, voltstats.com does not use the same numbers as the onstar app. I had my "fuel milage" re-set when I purchased my CPO volt and that affected what the onstar app reported as my MPG but not the voltstats.com mpg... you may be able to see your real milage on voltstats.com

Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts