GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Volt 'check engine' light came on about a month ago. The car eventually would not charge. The local dealer charged me $480 for three hours' labor to find and fix the problem and $50 for the part. A couple of days ago the light started coming on again. The dealership mechanic told me if their diagnostic equipment didn't return the same error code they would be charging me for the labor to diagnose the 'new' problem.

So... what I am looking for is an ODB2 reader that will return error codes for the Volt's charging system. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Any should be sufficient to READ the codes. That's kind of what the device is for.

It's everything ELSE that one might want the thing or its software to do that's kind up in the air.

·
Registered
2013 Volt - Silver Topaz
325 Posts
I too am looking for a OBD2 scanner/reader. I would like to finally try the MyGreenVolt app to see what the health of my traction battery really looks like. After searching this site, I saw that @JuneBug has had good luck with this one:

You will have buy/download an app for your phone to actually be able to read the codes. Some readers are not compatible with both iPhone and Android.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet so I can’t personally report on how well it works.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I too am looking for a OBD2 scanner/reader. I would like to finally try the MyGreenVolt app to see what the health of my traction battery really looks like. After searching this site, I saw that @JuneBug has had good luck with this one:

You will have buy/download an app for your phone to actually be able to read the codes. Some readers are not compatible with both iPhone and Android.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet so I can’t personally report on how well it works.
Yes, that’s the best one I’ve found. Works with iPhone, Android, Bluetooth and WiFi. Compatible with all of the apps like MyVoltControl, MyGreenVoltConnect,Torque, and many more. And it’s a lot cheaper than 3 hours of labor.

Reactions: 16falcon
1 - 4 of 4 Posts