GM Volt Forum banner
161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
That noise you are hearing is the normal operation of the relay inside every EVSE. If you listen closely to the Voltec 120V EVSE you will hear the same thing. The Blink certainly uses a different relay, and maybe it's louder. Perhaps the design of the enclosure also amplifies the volume.

That being said I'm not entirely sure about how loud is too loud for normal operation of a relay, so if you're concerned it wouldn't hurt to call it in to ask if it's normal.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That noise you are hearing is the normal operation of the relay inside every EVSE. If you listen closely to the Voltec 120V EVSE you will hear the same thing. The Blink certainly uses a different relay, and maybe it's louder. Perhaps the design of the enclosure also amplifies the volume.
I'll confirm that the Voltec 240V EVSE also has this relay click.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Voltec L2 EVSE I have has an audible relay click when the 240V is cut through to the car (after it successfully completes the handshake sequence after plugin).

Volt #579

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Things I've Noticed #30

Happy New Years Eve! Note this is another lengthy one with lots of photos so if you want to comment just hit "reply" and not "reply with quote" to avoid a lengthy republishing of this whole thing. Thanks. /B

1. San Diego Volt MeetUp, 12-17-2011.
[/url]
Volt-SD-Meet.12-17-11 by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

From Shad Balch, [email protected], Communications point man for the Volt for several years:

(a) No need to worry about the battery fire in the test crash. This has not happened to any of the 8K+ owners. There have been 6 totaled Volts thus far and none resulted in a fire or an injured passenger.

(b) Plan to build 45K Volts in coming year.

(c) Volt-like Cadillac due in 2013/14, range tbd; Spark all-electric due in 2014/15, range tbd.

(d) Prospective buyers can borrow a Volt for 3 days, just email Shad.

(e) No big changes to Volt design for 2013 made public.

(f) About 1000 Volts are in San Diego -I don't believe this. I think more likely it's 100-200. I never see any.

Plenty of friendly early adopters at the meetup, about 25, with about 15 Volts. Also had some curious lookers. One guy interested in what you could add on for appearance on the exterior. He thought some red brake calipers would look nice. I agreed. I was interviewed by some internet news Co. I nailed some cool Volt swag including 2 t-shirts and a thermal coffee mug.

2. San Diego Car Show 12-30-2011.
[/url]
Volt-tractioncontrol by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
(a) Volt traction control off button. This is only in the 2012 model and not in my 2011. I couldn't see anything else different except for the passive lock button on the door handles.

(b) 2012 Coda test drive. Yaawwnnn ... zzzzzz ....
[/url]
Coda-white by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
Coda-silver by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

Really Coda people! Is this what you expect people to pay $39,000 ($29,000 after tax credits) for! The appearance couldn't be anymore boring than a 1992 Hyundai Sonata and actually that Sonata looked better. The outside and inside look like they were designed by the Chinese State Automotive Co. which is where they get it. All of the finishes look super cheap and done with minimal effort. Their rep, a fairly vociferous young chap who had worked for them all of 2 weeks, claimed they were going to build 10K units in 2012. You order and you get in about 1-2 months. All I can say is don't let any potential owners see it in person before they buy it! This chap went on the attack when I told him I had a Volt bringing up the Gov't bailout of GM and showing pride that Coda never took any Gov't loans. My reply to him was that the Volt was made by a multi-billion dollar Co. and Coda by a multi-million dollar Co. and a few other things which seemed to sting him since he told my wife that I was rude. I tried to be polite because I still wanted to ride in it and see if it had any potential at all and I can safely say this version has none.
[/url]
Coda.motor by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
The engine looks like it was put together in a University auto shop, notice the masking tape with the hand written "2 3 4" on the center of the motor.

[/url]
Coda-dual-charger by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
One of their unique features is a dual charging system in the trunk under a piece of styrofoam. This is supposed to speed up charging to give you on 240v a 36 kWh charge in 6 h for a range of 150 miles. The chap did comment that basically you don't want to know how long it would take to charge on a 110v system.

[/url]
Coda.tach by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
The tachometers were analogue and you actually have to stick a key into the steering column to start it. Hello Coda, 1995 is calling. The left tach shows charge remaining. The center shows speed. I got it up to within 5 mph of the max of 80 on my short test drive. The Coda rep was freaking out a little. The right tach is to teach you how to drive better like our little green ball. Keep the needle in the center and when it goes right you are in regen braking mode. There is no L gear for downhill regen.

[/url]
Coda.cntr.display by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

Coda.shifter by bbookser, on Flickr
The center console is basic and not very intuitive and the shifter is a wheel of cheap plastic.

[/url]
Coda.steeringwheel by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
The drive was unusual with a delayed response from the accelerator in the first 10mph. You can put it on the floor but the car only slowly moves forward until you get to 10 and then the instant acceleration happens. I doubt this car could reach 60mph in 12 seconds. The ridealong rep claimed that the tires would spin out of control if they had not inserted this "safety" delayed response into the acceleration:confused:. Personally I think these Coda people should look at the Tesla book of design not only for the body but for performance. Tesla knew their roadster was a rough in it's design but sold their initial primitive EV based on the tremendous instant electric punch from the accelerator.

[/url]
Car2Go-ext by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

Car2Go.int by bbookser, on Flickr
Car2Go is a Daimler product. It is a rental 60-80 miles per charge 2 person EV meant for rental in city areas. Cute.:eek:

[/url]
Fisker-front2012 by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
Fisker-rear2012 by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
The Fisker Karma was behind ropes guarded by an older gentleman in a suit. He claimed they were producing 5K units in 2012 each priced at $116,000. I'm sure we'll start to see a few of these sweet corvette looking EVs in SD but I doubt they can sell 5K at that price. Sorry no interior photos.

3. Dec 31, 2011. The one year anniversary for me owning/leasing Volt #135. After going to the SD auto show and looking at all of the gas and electric cars, I couldn't be happier with my choice to lease the Volt at the end of last year.:) Yes it is a lease because the wife did not want to spend that much money for a buy, an extra $150/mo, and so this was the compromise. If I choose to buy it at the end of 2013, it will be a more reasonable monthly payment on a $24,000 loan. My wife, an initial skeptic, has grown to enjoy riding in it with me driving for all of our local trips. I have taken it on several long gas trips including Yosemite, 1600 mi, and Bear Mtn, 8000 ft up and many windy roads. The performance is still quite awesome. I now let my 19 yr old son use it at night to go to his friend's house but told him that he can never drive it after drinking and if someone pukes in it he will never drive it again. He kept it overnight last night claiming it was too foggy and he had had a beer (his 1AM text to me). I guess I am fine with that. He is very careful. I still get curious questions from friends and random people and I still give test drives, gave one 2 days ago. Everyone is universally impressed.

I have now logged a year's worth of observations, 30 "things", about this cool new technology car. I hope you all have enjoyed reading about it. If you have one yourself, right on! And if you don't, email Chad above so you can get in one for a couple days. They are a lot of fun.

Silently motoring along in my white diamond #135,
-Bookdabook

161 - 166 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.