GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
For SD residents or avid google-mappers, I did this test on the part of Sorrento Valley Road that deadends. [...] While driving in cruise mode at 55 mph in Low, after releasing cruise with the steering wheel switch, the Volt came to a full stop in 0.1 miles. At 65 mph in Low, the same full stop was achieved after 0.2 miles.
Speed limit on said street being 45 :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Speed limit on said street being 45 :)
Yeah, I saw a cruiser on the outer road when I was doing illegal U-turns at the train crossing to head back down for another deceleration. They don't venture down that part of SV-Rd in the middle of the day.;)

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
1I did the test of really trying hard to get the best miles per charge. I drove in low the whole time, did not use interior climate settings, kept the windows up, tried to keep the green ball centered, lightly braked early when approaching stops and did not aggressively accelerate. The green ball drifted out of the center 4 times during braking when I had to avoid hitting the car in front of me. With all of this careful driving, I achieved 37 miles/charge. Next I drove my "normal" which included ample use of Sport mode, carefree ignorance of the position of the green ball but occasional use of the Low gear to help slow down on descents. The green ball was easily pushed out of the center both up and down a total of 40 times. In this "normal" I got 34 miles/charge. The difference is only 8%.

Can you try that test again, but with attempts to get best miles per charge using D instead of L? I just don't understand the physics where people think L will get them better range then D for non stop and go traffic. Regeneration is lossy. Costing is pretty efficient.

And I've noticed my Power Flow screen indicates regeneration when coasting in neutral. What's up with that?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think they just like the feeling of KNOWING it is regeneration slowing the car, because if you apply the brake you are most likely using full regeneration, HOWEVER if you press it past a certain threshold it will at least start to use the brakes so that they are ready, and can slow the car faster if need be.

My reasoning for NOT using L like everyone is on here is because the brake lights do not engage when using L until you actually press the brake pedal. The L has quite a kick to it, and I would like people behind me to get the brake light to know I am decelerating.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The no break light issue when using regen breaking, will proably not be addressed until insurenance companys start seeing siginificent numbers of claimes because of it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The no break light issue when using regen breaking, will proably not be addressed until insurenance companys start seeing siginificent numbers of claimes because of it.

Braking regen feels about the same as a motorcycle downshift. Brake lights don't come on for motorcycles. I don't see a problem with the current degree of decel using brake regen. As well as the Volt is engineered. I am sure numbers were run on common downshift slowing before the final regen setting was locked in.

·
Registered
882 Posts
After reading these posts I have been driving in and out of LOW as conditions permit, and I like the fact that I can spare some wear and tear on the brake pads. After a couple try's, it is simple to judge the stopping distance down to a crawl using only L for braking.

** Also by taking regular roads vs interstate from Boca Raton to the Palm Beach Airport this morning I am looking at the highest MPGs to date, and should hit my all time high if my girl friend does not insist on taking the highway on the return drive.

Steve #313 sitting in the PBI cell waiting lot with my iPad .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Braking regen feels about the same as a motorcycle downshift. Brake lights don't come on for motorcycles. I don't see a problem with the current degree of decel using brake regen. As well as the Volt is engineered. I am sure numbers were run on common downshift slowing before the final regen setting was locked in.
Agreed, the regen on the Volt is less than the engine braking on my GTO. I don’t think it is going to cause an increase in accidents since it is nothing different than many other cars using engine braking.

·
Registered
882 Posts
this morning I am looking at the highest MPGs to date, and should hit my all time high if my girl friend does not insist on taking the highway on the return drive.
I did hit a new high today, but it fell just a bit short of it's original projection of 50 miles because the traffic heading home was heavier with more stop and go's, warmer temp and more weight in the car. I got 48.5 miles on Battery and 10 miles on ICE burning .2 gals. The previous high EV miles were driving I-95 for 47.2 miles.

I really hope to exceed 50 EV miles someday soon.

Steve in Boca Raton

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Driving in D = L, Just Keep the Green Ball Centered

Can you try that test again, but with attempts to get best miles per charge using D instead of L? I just don't understand the physics where people think L will get them better range then D for non stop and go traffic. Regeneration is lossy. Costing is pretty efficient.
[/url]
D.36.5mpc by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

So I got 36.5 miles per charge after driving in D which essentially equals the 37 mpc in L that I reported 5 days ago. It is more challenging to center the green ball in stop and go, up and down, surface street driving, while in D. It takes a soft touch on the brake. I did go out of center a couple more times compared to L but it shouldn't have mattered. I think for the passenger, D driving may be more enjoyable because there is less being thrown forward during the regen braking of the L setting when releasing the accelerator. For the driver, it is a technique that needs to be developed, i.e. soft braking early into red lights. It probably causes less wear on the brake pads but I'd be interested in a Volt engineer answering whether soft braking just engages the regen-system and harder braking is necessary to wear down the pads. So the question is if the green ball is centered during braking, is the braking equivalent to using the L setting? I'll ask my VA.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My dad taught me to stay well behind motorcycles due to shorter stopping distance than my car.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Off topic; If I recall correctly ( please correct if wrong), in contrast with the Volt, Teslas show brake lights in this situation.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Off topic; If I recall correctly ( please correct if wrong), in contrast with the Volt, Teslas show brake lights in this situation.
This is true. I drove a Tesla last weekend. There is no L and when the accelerator is released an L gear type effect occurs with tail lights coming on. The regen slowing occurring with the Tesla is milder than the Volt L though. I am used to driving a manual and L just seems to resemble downshifting to slow the car which does not induce a tail light up.

... more on the Tesla in my observations this weekend.

·
Registered
571 Posts
[/url]
D.36.5mpc by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

So I got 36.5 miles per charge after driving in D which essentially equals the 37 mpc in L that I reported 5 days ago. It is more challenging to center the green ball in stop and go, up and down, surface street driving, while in D. It takes a soft touch on the brake. I did go out of center a couple more times compared to L but it shouldn't have mattered. I think for the passenger, D driving may be more enjoyable because there is less being thrown forward during the regen braking of the L setting when releasing the accelerator. For the driver, it is a technique that needs to be developed, i.e. soft braking early into red lights. It probably causes less wear on the brake pads but I'd be interested in a Volt engineer answering whether soft braking just engages the regen-system and harder braking is necessary to wear down the pads. So the question is if the green ball is centered during braking, is the braking equivalent to using the L setting? I'll ask my VA.
When I test drove the Volt, The thing that I noticed about L is that the point at which the throtal is a zero power to the tracktion motor is further up the throtal, so in effect the lower throtal settings are actually controlling the regen. If you are off the throtal then and not on the brakes you are at max regen. If you brake then more regen is add and will increase till it blends with the physical breaks. I can't wait for my car to get here so that I can test the regen more fully.

P

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Things I've Noticed #6

1. I like to close the rear hatch by pulling down on the bowtie.
[/url]
bowtie.close by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
It seems the designers figured one handle on the right side should be enough for lowering the hatch. I find that location a little inconvenient and in general I like to grab the top of the gold bowtie to close the hatch -except if it is really dirty. I guess if they had another handle inset on the left side I would use that with my left hand.

2. Summary of L vs D drive tests. I did one more test. I drove in D in Sport mode while keeping the green ball centered and essentially got the same electric range 36.3 miles as driving the same cautious way in D-normal, 36.5 mpc, and L-normal, 37 mpc. On the other hand, driving while leaving caution to the wind in Sport gave me 34 mpc. So bottom line, to get the most from your charge (and gas if you use it), drive cautiously and keep the green ball centered ... but if you don't it's only 7-8% more less efficient.

My Tesla for Volt test drive exchange. On SuperBowl Sunday, I drove a neighbor's blue Tesla Roadster. I was connected to him through a common friend at my work. My friend mentioned to his Tesla owning neighbor that he got to drive my Volt and the Tesla guy, Richard, got very excited saying he was thinking about getting one. Thus we were connected. There are only 300+ Teslae in the world so I felt pretty fortunate and can thank the Volt for providing this cool experience. The following pics show that the Volt compares fairly well on style but is of necessity a mainstream car even though it is powered by an electric motor. This last bit I explained to Richard and his wife about 3 times how the ICE does an assist when running in ER mode over 70 mph for improved efficiency. They were not put off by that one bit and were very excited to hear it explained. Anyway here are the pics:
[/url]
T-V-sideview.. by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
T+V-back2.. by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
T+V.side3Q.. by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
T-fr.V-bk.. by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

Richard is some kind of an EE and was very excited to have an e-car enthusiast there to share all of the info he had collected on his car and its various systems. It reminded me of some of the early adopters on GM-Volt, somewhat nerdy but hey that's alright with me! He is actually in the middle of creating some kind of device that can be plugged into one of the buses of the wiring in the Tesla that will monitor various functions and send a text message to the owner when certain jobs are completed like charging. A text message doesn't cost anything so this would bypass things like the need for OnStar. While we were looking at my Volt, we removed the left rear interior hatch panel and found a similar bus connection. I could see the twinkle in his eye as he surmised what he was doing for the Tesla could easily be adapted to the Volt.

I got the first drive in his Roadster. Richard is from England, with its small sports car traditions and he clearly enjoyed driving the Roadster just for fun. We got out onto the highway (56) and he told me to go ahead and put the pedal to the floor. Well this car goes 0-60 in 4 seconds so it has quite a kick. Before I knew it I was going 90 and immediately released the accelerator. The Tesla slowed, and I was told brake lights engage, but the regen braking is milder than the Volt in L which I explained earlier can return you to a dead stop in 0.1-0.3 miles. We turned around to go back but instead of going to his house he took me out to some isolated surface roads (Rancho Santa Fe) where I could open it up. We were going up a long hill in this country area and he tells me to floor it again and he'll watch the horsepower output which I easily took up to about 450hp. That is one of the cool tech features of the Tesla. Now I don't need that but I, and many others here, liked and want in the Volt a watt/mile realtime readout like is available in the Tesla. This gives you a much more informative read on how efficient you are driving. I guess GM is thinking non-enthusiasts won't understand this info so they aren't providing it. GM, I guarantee the general public will figure this out so please provide it as a software update. There is a lot of wasted space on the Energy Usage Screen with the big green sphere and the big MPG exclamation in the lower right corner. Overall the ride was fun but manual steering and a rough suspension make the ride a workout. Richard calls driving it his "yoga".

When Richard and his wife drove the Volt, they both had big Volt-smiles. They said, and I'm not kidding, "This car should cost more than a Tesla". I let them punch the accelerator in Sport mode and they were impressed though I meekly acknowledged the Telsa's superiority here. Moreover they could feel how smooth the Volt ride was. They loved the quiet and I could see they were dying to hear and feel it in ER mode but I did not have time to let them run out of battery power. I had already missed Q1 of the SuperBowl after spending 3h with them. It was a lot of fun but I love the ride and performance of the Volt much better than the Tesla.

If any of you in SoCal are interested there is going to be a Tesla rally heading up to Julian next Saturday, 2/19. Maybe some Volts could show up and a real e-car party could happen.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. More later ...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience with the Tesla. I am envious of your test drive. Did you take any pics of the Tesla interface/display? I am curious how it is laid out and how you interact with it.

Last year, someone in the high rise condo building I live in purchased a Tesla and spent about $15k having the charger specially installed in the parking garage. He passed away a short time later, so I wasn't able to get to know him. My building's association is thinking of repurposing his charger to accomodate about 6 Volt/Leaf chargers (it's a nightmare trying to find a way to get a charger installed in an LA high rise.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If any of you in SoCal are interested there is going to be a Tesla rally heading up to Julian next Saturday, 2/19. Maybe some Volts could show up and a real e-car party could happen.
OK, so we know where and when. Do we know what hour of the day? And seeing the news tonight, are the Teslae ready for snow?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I read that you are in SoCal, and I notice in the photos that your Volt and the Tesla do not have front license plates installed. Fortunately for us in Florida front plates are not required, but I am wondering if you have had any issue with the police ticketing your Volt or the Tesla ? I hope you guys can continue to go without front plates without penalty.

Front plates are an eye-sore and probably increase drag at the same time !

Steve in Boca Raton #313

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Wow, thanks for sharing your experience with the Tesla. I am envious of your test drive. Did you take any pics of the Tesla interface/display? I am curious how it is laid out and how you interact with it.
This was a 2010 Tesla originally purchased in the summer of 09. Still the information readout systems were very primitive especially compared to the Volt. The mph is an analog tachometer. Under that is a tiny black and white (1X3in) LCD that give watt/mile and maybe remaining range. The center console has old fashioned stereo and environmental controls. It has a CD slot and another small LCD that gives the name of the artist. There is one more small (ca. 2X3in) LCD at the base of the center stack that gave HP readout and some other technical performance info. Sorry no pics. I'm sure a 2011 Tesla must be more modern with color touch screens etc. It had the feel of a hand made car made by a small group of people with nowhere near the finish and detail of the Volt since the latter is made by one of the largest corporations in the world. No disrespect but that version seemed a lot like a hobby-car.

61 - 80 of 166 Posts