1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things I've Noticed
[/url]
observationsEA by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

OK, I've had my white diamond #135 for a week now and have noticed a few things that I haven't seen posted here so I wanted to start a general thread to cover random observations. I will post every 3-7 days up to 3 new "discoveries" that I have made related to being an early adopter of this cool new technology that silently zips you to and fro. Moreover, even though I read these forum posts every day, I may occasionally slip and mention something that has already had discussion. In that case, I am fine with you pointing out my ignorance with a link. I hope that you guys will contribute your own observations on this thread so it may grow into a resource for current and future Volt drivers.

Observations
1. There is a nice blue thread woven into the black and tan leather seats
[/url]
bluethread by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
This is a nice cosmetic touch. I wonder now much the designers discussed this.

2. The car rolls backwards when at an uphill stop
I was kind of expecting it to be like an automatic and have sort of a constant forward propulsion but this is not the case most likely to conserve juice. It is not quite as sketchy as dealing with a manual on a hill with the quick clutch/brake/gas maneuver. Just remember to hold the brake on hills.

3. The car puts out an annoying ringing noise when you step out of it and forget to turn it off.
If you want to step out for a second because you forgot something, you'll hear the door ajar "dong dong dong". Close the door with you outside and the car puts out this mildly annoying ring letting you know, you need to get back in or just turn it off.

More later ...
-Book

·
Registered
452 Posts
The car rolls backwards when at an uphill stop
I was kind of expecting it to be like an automatic and have sort of a constant forward propulsion but this is not the case most likely to conserve juice. It is not quite as sketchy as dealing with a manual on a hill with the quick clutch/brake/gas maneuver. Just remember to hold the brake on hills.
Also please note the owner's manual on page 9-30 says "holding the vehicle in one place on a hill using only the accelerator pedal may damage the electric drive unit".

I know you weren't suggesting doing that, but it was a related warning that I thought I 'd point out.

Cool observation on the blue thread! I never noticed that before. Had to go look at mine, and yes, its there!

·
4,852 Posts
The blue thread was mentioned somewhere else, likely buried in the tracking thread. It does look nice from the pictures I've seen!

Someone just had an issue with leaving their Volt on all day in another thread; I wonder if the mildly annoying ring you were hearing would've prevented them from doing that?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The blue thread was mentioned somewhere else, likely buried in the tracking thread. It does look nice from the pictures I've seen!

Someone just had an issue with leaving their Volt on all day in another thread; I wonder if the mildly annoying ring you were hearing would've prevented them from doing that?
Good eye! I posted the same picture in the group of my first images when I just received my car:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5110-Tracking-Your-Volt-Order/page177&highlight=blue+thread

You caught me double-posting a picture.

Regarding the other post where the guy forgot to turn his car off, maybe there was too much street noise to here the ringing the car gives off when it's not turned off.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Things I've Noticed[/B

3. The car puts out an annoying ringing noise when you step out of it and forget to turn it off.

This is common among push button start cars when you get out with the key fob still on your person. Also, you probably won't be able to lock the car with the fob if the other fob is still in the car (in the wife's purse for example).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Things I've Noticed #2

Three new things I've noticed. Like I said before, some may seem trivial. Hopefully some will seem interesting.

1. The red back lights on the hatch don't come on for my #135
[/url]
headlights-on by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
brake by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
reverse by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]
reverse-w-brake by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]

Actually my wife noticed this one when she followed me home from the dealer a week ago when we picked it up. Doesn't it seem like the knife shaped red light in the black part of the hatch should light up under one of these scenarios (flashing hazards also don't light them up either)? I told my VA, who was clueless, and my dealer who scheduled me in for service after he checked it on a Volt on their lot.

2. On entering or leaving the car or just opening and closing the door while inside, a soft electronic chirp sounds. The sound is somewhat like that made by my non-smart phone when I plug it in to charge at night. This noise mystifies me. I cannot find mention of it in the manual or any thread. It seems to come from the cars speakers but it really seems to come out of thin air (good speakers I guess). It happens even when I have no phone or key in the car. (I did bluetooth activate my phone). It seems to be a notice that a door has been opened or closed. It also sounds when the hatch is lifted. Comments?

3. The <<SEEK or SEEK>> buttons when held depressed during a playback act to fast rewind or fast forward the iPod selection
[/url]
ipod.fastforward by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
So if you missed 5 minutes of that Car Talk podcast you can back it up to the exact timepoint desired. A single push on one of these buttons will skip to the beginning of the podcast/song, jump to the previous podcast/song or jump ahead to the next podcast/song. Pretty intuitive, because this is probably the way it is with most players these days, duhh!:p

Feel free to post your own observations,
More later ...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
#1: Those are reflectors, not lights

#2: Sounds like the alert you get when you are "powered on" but open the door. The car is reminding you to power off if you're getting out to leave.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
#1: Those are reflectors, not lights

#2: Sounds like the alert you get when you are "powered on" but open the door. The car is reminding you to power off if you're getting out to leave.
On #2 it is a soft chirp (at least 10X softer than the pedestrian horn chirp) and happens with the car powered off, unplugged and no key present whether you open the front, rear or hatch doors. So it seems like a door open chirp. Not the loud "dong dong dong" door ajar with the car on warning. No where that I can find is this mentioned in the owner's manual.

On #1, I sent the pics to the dealer's technical guy. He may be in your camp. He thought they may just be cosmetic. They seem like a pretty complicated decorative element ... or reflector. I asked him to contact the GM guys and see if they can answer what their purpose is. So I am waiting on him to do that. Hey, my wife thinks they should light up and I kind of agree but since they don't I'd like to hear it from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My first impressions:
Please keep in mind that I wanted to but an Impact, then an EV1, then waited all these years for the Volt. I have been anxiously anticipating this car for a loooong time! The very first Volt I had ever seen was mine. All of my expectations were based ourely on the most optimistic posts here!

1. Appearance was perfect. Detailing was excellent.
2. The car was smaller than what was in my minds eye.
3. Back seats appreaed to have almost zero leg room.
4. Initial mileage on the cars odometer was 16, that means that they didn't do a good road test before delivery.
5. The audio quality for OnStar was horrible. I had to strain to understand what was being said.
6. The tires were inflated to only 30 psi. The prep crew obviously didn't bother to check to see what the recommended inflation pressure is (35 psi). As mentioned by others, the tire pressure indication doesn't regularly refresh on MyVolt. It's been a couple of hours since I filled them up and the web site still shows 30 psi. The cars screen shows the actual pressure, however.
7. Road noise was more than I had imagined. When I first pulled away I couldn't help but smile wghen the car moved silently, but once on the road the normal tire noise and wind noise made it sound, from the inside, like any other car. Please note that there was snow on the ground (road was clear but wet).
8. The heater is kind of weak. It was about 35F outside - in ECO mode you couldn't feel the heat at all. In COMFORT mode it was better but noticeibly much less powerful than a "regular" car.
9. The 120 VAC charger seemed a bit flimsy. I don't think I would leave it outside during inclement weather. Right now I have it plugged in inside with the cord routed through a window with towels as a seal. This will probably be my configuration until I build a "doghouse" for it on my outside wall.
10. Some folks have complained about the lack of a tactile feel for the console buttons. I didn't have an issue with this because when you press a function, it executes, so you know you've pressed it. However, the RKE fob also has very little feel to it. This bothers me because when you go to lock it, you have to look to see if it worked. Same thing with pre-conditioning - if I "start" it from inside, I have to check to seif I really hit the button properly. The 120 VAC charger also has a less-than-positive feel to the charge level button. It depresses, but there is no tactile or audible "click".
11. I haven't driven it far enough to cause it to go into the CS mode, so I popped the hood to make the engine start. For a small engine with two things that look like catalytic converters and one muffler, I felt it was noisy. It sounded like a run of the mill 4 cylinder econobox. Sitting in it in the driveway, I easily felt the vibration - if it goes on while driving I probably will not notice it though.
12. My wife told me that the car beeped a couple of times last night while charging. Was this an audible indication that charging was complete?
13. I had the occasion to floor it once. It was neat that acceleration came without engine roar, but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of G forces. I've been driving a 6 cylinder Honda Accord hybrid (155 hp) and it's much faster. I guess I'm just spoiled.
14. I don't like the feel of the brakes. In addition to my vehicles, I drive about 30 different rental cars a year. these brakes feel different, especially in the last few feet before stopping. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
15. Even though I'm on this site several times a day and thoroughly read everything here, I was suprised to see that I did not have heated seats. Yes, I did not order the custom trim package and I now realize that's why I don't have "butt warmers". My fault.
16. I got the whitish trim with black cloth seats. I don't like the white - looks chintzy to me (and more importantly, my wife).
17. With all of the tons of paperwork I got from the dealer, the OnStar account number was not noted. I had to call OnStar to get it and then I found out they had the wrong information on file - address and phone number. Then I tried to log onto MyVolt again and couldn't - I called OnStar again and they still had wrong information, including a misspelled e-mail address.

All of these "negatives" are opinions. The things that were below my expectations were such because I had incorrect expectations. I LOVE the car!!! I LOVE the looks I've gotten with it (are they checking out the car or me?). The Voltec propulsion system will be a game-changing model for GM and others!
#448 has come home!

·
Registered
733 Posts
"In addition to my vehicles, I drive about 30 different rental cars a year. These brakes feel different, especially in the last few feet before stopping. I'm sure I'll get used to it."

Had two demo drives before ordering my 2011 Volt. First demo car had less than precise brake feel. Same as you, figured I would get used to it. On the second demo (a day later) the brakes felt absolutely pure. Smooth, even, and balanced. Suggest asking the dealer for an adjustment when warmer weather comes around Long Island.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope you feel better after venting hamchief.

On your comments:
"11. I haven't driven it far enough to cause it to go into the CS mode, so I popped the hood to make the engine start. For a small engine with two things that look like catalytic converters and one muffler, I felt it was noisy. It sounded like a run of the mill 4 cylinder econobox. Sitting in it in the driveway, I easily felt the vibration - if it goes on while driving I probably will not notice it though.
12. My wife told me that the car beeped a couple of times last night while charging. Was this an audible indication that charging was complete?
13. I had the occasion to floor it once. ... bit disappointed with the lack of G forces."

On 11, I also popped the hood with it on to engage the ICE, it clattered for a few minutes and then settled down. Someone with me thought maybe air was being forced out of all the lines or the engine was being lubricated after sitting idle. I've only used 0.2 gal of gas in 150 miles.

On 12, yes the car chirps when you plug it in. Multiple chirps for if it will charge later and a single chirp if charging now.

On 13. Put it in Sport Mode and then floor it. You should definitely feel the G-force then.

My own comments are geared towards my curiosity about what are to me novel elements of this car, though I can come off as critical at times I am sure.

·
Registered
471 Posts
10. Some folks have complained about the lack of a tactile feel for the console buttons. I didn't have an issue with this because when you press a function, it executes, so you know you've pressed it. However, the RKE fob also has very little feel to it. This bothers me because when you go to lock it, you have to look to see if it worked.
Hit the lock button twice and you'll get a horn chirp.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For # 12: Doesn't it beep one more time when charging is complete? Or an AC power brownout would also make it chirp.
For # 13: I thought flooring it in Normal mode and flooring it in sport mode would be the exact same amount of acceleration. The difference between the 2 modes is that it accelerates faster in sport mode when pushing down the petal partially.
Personally, I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More on Things I've Noticed #2

1. The red tail lights don't light. OK, the dealer's tech guy after looking at my pics and a car on their lot, says the red knife shaped plastic on the hatch lid is a reflector. He is going to follow up with GM. In the meantime I am going to send my pics to my Volt Advisor to see what he can find out. To test the reflectiveness of this piece I took flash photos of it:
[/url]
lights.off.flash by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
Flash with no lights on
[/url]
lights.on.flash by bbookser, on Flickr[/IMG]
Flash with head lights on

It is easy to see that the little reflector strip on the lower part of the white bumper really reflects but this tail feature doesn't really reflect. It seems like this is one of the key identifiers of the Volt model, this curving knife or eye shape on the hatch. A pity it doesn't light up but looking at other new cars driving down my street, I see this is pretty common that that is a part of the car used for looks.

2. The Door Open Chirp I made a recording of this. It is the sound track for this slide show below (the only way I could figure how to load a sound clip here). The sequence repeats 3 times through the slide show: door opens- wait 2 seconds - chirp noise - door closes (louder than door open noise). You may need speakers or headphones to hear it in between the door open/close noises. Pretty much minutiae but things like this just make me think why did they do it?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
On #1, I sent the pics to the dealer's technical guy. He may be in your camp. He thought they may just be cosmetic. They seem like a pretty complicated decorative element ... or reflector. I asked him to contact the GM guys and see if they can answer what their purpose is. So I am waiting on him to do that. Hey, my wife thinks they should light up and I kind of agree but since they don't I'd like to hear it from the manufacturer.
Those reflectors being made to look like lights are just like the Buick port holes that do not have exhaust gases coming out of them, or the old 80's Trans-Am shaker hoods that didn't really draw in fresh air. Fake stuff is normal on a GM car (especially a Chevy), and the Volt is not immune.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ok then, there is an opportunity for a cool modification/add-on product, a set of functioning LED brake lights for the rear hatch area.
I think I would buy that (or make my own) if it is possible to install something there.

Jerry #536

·
Registered
442 Posts
Listened to the video with cranked up sound (computer speakers) and didn't hear any beep, only door closing several times. So, maybe not loud or in a range I can't hear very well.

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm just happy the wheels of the Volt are truly on the road. An early version of this car was a burgundy Malibu with monitoring equipment duct taped to the outer wheel wells. Dozens of readers of GM Volt dot com wanted that car as is. Finally freedom to drive without being shackled to a gas pump! The 2011 Volt is here now. It's not only good. It's the fricken' Car of The Year! Don't forget to stop and smell the roses.
PS: If the rear reflectors are an issue. Order in Crystal Red.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts