GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear GM Volt advertising group and fellow Volt evangelists,

I have been waiting for the Volt since it was announced in January 2007. From what I have been able to read through October 2010, all of GM's buzz about the Volt has been positive. So I was flabbergasted and deeply annoyed that GM should choose the slogan, "It's more car than electric", as their lead advertising catch-phrase. What a negative way to advertise GM's outstanding engineering achievement!

One university student who knows my Volt advocacy -- I wear a Volt tee-shirt during the summer -- has asked me, "Is GM apologizing for this car?" Another asked, "Why would anyone want to buy it a Volt if GM is ashamed of the engineering that makes this car both unique and ecologically appealing?" I can't answer them because this phrase is so out of character for the group that made this car and for potential customers like myself who have been cheering on GM since January 2007. Did this phrase arise from a focus group packed with folks who'd rather be driving a Cobalt or a Cruze?

While it is true the Volt drives further on its gasoline-powered engine than under electric power, making your slogan subtly true, it is for the electric motor drive system that people will pay a substantial premium to purchase this car. They want to look with pride on that electric drive system, and they are dissuaded from doing so by an advertising phrase that diminishes the electric drive's importance. After all, if potential customers have no interest in the advantages of driving electrically for which they are paying that premium, they WILL buy a different and substantially less expensive model of car without electric propulsion.

Come on, GM, rethink your misguided sloganeering and put forward a positive catch-phrase that all Volt owners will be proud to put on their bumpers or splash on their side-panels!!!!!!

Paul Rybski
Whitewater, WI

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Agreed. It's been tried, and "meh... it's not so great." They definitely need to come up with a more appropriate slogan.

·
Registered
392 Posts
there is still a stigma with the term "electric car" with consumers, thinking it has "golf cart" performance. I think they played the right direction, as the Volt feels like a real car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
there is still a stigma with the term "electric car" with consumers, thinking it has "golf cart" performance. I think they played the right direction, as the Volt feels like a real car.
Some people will never get it - until you can't buy a 100% ICE vehicle anymore....we're not launching in West Virginia....

Ok, so some more tag line possibilities - how about 'GM's Volt, powers you past the doubts of EV motoring performance'

Don't get me wrong, 'more car than electric' is marginally ok, but even 'the most electrifing car available' is better. or perhaps 'rangeless motoring performance' would work.

'Powering America's rangless EVoltution"? Ok, enough marketing for today - GO VOLTage, GO EVoltution!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
"More car than electric" makes no sense. Dumbest part of the whole Volt production. Can't stand it. I will be the first to admit it's harder to come up with good slogan's than it sounds, but that simply makes no sense.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The slogan simply abstracts the vehicle's energy sources and the complex technology "under the hood" needed to make it all work. Most consumers don't care about the details, they are after all, just buying a car. After the first couple weeks and months, once the novelty wears thin, it better darn well be a car.

I doubt GM is concerned about selling the Volt to loyal fans as I'm sure hang out here, it's the other 300,000,000 out there they need to appeal to, that's where the money is, a necessary ingredient for ultimate success.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I thought it was a great slogan. The GM marketing department doesn't have to sell to us (here). We'd buy it if the slogan was, "It smells like toxic waste."
However, since so many here think it's misrepresentative, perhaps there's room for improvement.

·
3,689 Posts
When arguments come up about marketing, names, slogans, etc. I like to bring up a great case study:

Nintendo's Wii

I have never felt such hate for a name when it first came out. Do people now think about pee when they hear Wii? Nope. No more laughter, no more snickering.

When you create a breakthrough product like the Wii, iPhone, iPad (oh, remember all those feminine pad jokes?), it really doesn't matter what you call it. Even Wii! I thought it couldn't get worse than that.

Shakespeare sums it up best:

Juliet:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

The Volt is one sweet smelling rose!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The slogan simply abstracts the vehicle's energy sources and the complex technology "under the hood" needed to make it all work. Most consumers don't care about the details, they are after all, just buying a car. After the first couple weeks and months, once the novelty wears thin, it better darn well be a car.

I doubt GM is concerned about selling the Volt to loyal fans as I'm sure hang out here, it's the other 300,000,000 out there they need to appeal to, that's where the money is, a necessary ingredient for ultimate success.
Couldnt agree more. I love the "More car than electric" as it implies (and the Volt certainly delivers) just THAT.
I can see how it might annoy EV evengelists though.
But the "more" simply appeals to "more" ;)
JMO
WopOnTour

·
Registered
471 Posts
So it's more like a Prius than a Tesla? Stupid catchphrase indeed!
Well, it is.

Price - Closer to Prius.
Range - Closer to Prius.
Performance - A little better than Prius, substantially worse than Tesla.
Ability to drive long distances using gasoline - Just like Prius, Tesla not at all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok, how about 'the most fun ever from your plug'......ok, maybe a bit too racey, but simple and to the point....."this aint your father's sodering iron" :eek:) for our West Virgina's friends...

Fine, back to sleep, GO VOLT, GO GM, GO SOLAR.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
My question is what happens when they do sell a pure electric car? They've been insinuating there's something wrong with a car that's just electric so by their own assertion the EV will be 2nd rate.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My question is what happens when they do sell a pure electric car? They've been insinuating there's something wrong with a car that's just electric so by their own assertion the EV will be 2nd rate.
It depends on the market. Obviously there's a market for the Leaf and there's a market for the Tesla. With today's infrastructure, in my opinion trhere's a greater market for the Volt. As battery and quick charging technology evolves and the EV charging infrastructure matures, I wouldn't be surprised to see GM jump in to it again.

Don't forget, GM was making pure electric vehicles that performed very well in extreme conditions long before the EV-1.

·
Registered
168 Posts
People, realize that a large percentage of the readers here are well versed in the Volt, and most electric cars in general. We already know the differences and advantages of electric drive, and the Volt's superior engineering. But realize that the tag line "more car than electric" was probably agreed upon as the best method to describe this vehicle to the thousands of less informed masses that sadly have never heard of a Volt, or even thought about one.

This phrase is sadly probably the best at conveying the notion of electric drive with no compromises to the average person with no EV knowledge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts