GM Volt Forum banner

OBDII port, OnStar, Insurance discounts, Drive Wise

7837 7
Is anyone participating in the Progressive, or Allstate Drive Wise insurance programs that utilize the OBDII port to track driving habits and get up to 30% insurance discount? I was told by my Allstate rep that the Volt is not eligible for the Drive Wise discount . I checked with my Volt adviser who knew nothing and referred me to OnStar. Haven't heard back from OnStar.
The Drive Wise program uses the OBDII port to track starts stops, time of use, acceleration etc. I was told top discount from Allstate for participation is %30%. As I rarely use brakes or jack rabbit starts I thought it would be a good program (Big Brother issues aside)
I think the issue may be that OnStar is utililizing the port and doesn't want to share? Does anyone know?
Thanks.
DRowan, 2012 REIV2G Volt (16.4 gal used in year one.)
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,716 Posts
I know that if my ODBII is in place while OnStar is doing there monthly inquiry, for a systems diagnostics check, it will come back with a report that it could NOT give results "because of an aftermarket device is connected to the port."

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Henry, Can you please post more info on the bricking of Volt's by OBDII readers?

Thanks 2012 Silver Volt REIV2G

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David, I just heard back from On Star, they told me that I could participate in the Allstate program but that I would need to
discommect On Star diagnostics. This will be followed up with more detail as I learn more as Allstate is telling me I will get up to a 30% discount on my car insurance.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I originally searched for this topic under 'insurance and OBDII port" and didn't find anything. searching for 'Dead Volt' now I found this post from F16BMATHIS Senior Member Join Date: Dec 2011Location: New Berlin WIPosts: 157

"No, this device has been connected to other cars, including a buddy that has it installed on his Volt since new and has never had problems. Volt tech's are just guessing."
I have subsequently read numerous conflicting reports but nothing that substantiates that installing an OBDII device will 'brick' the Volt. There was one incident only with documentation from GM but it was not conclusive as the sequence of events leading to the 'dead Volt' made the cause of the problem uncertain. So I will follow up with Allstate and Volt Adviser and On Star again tomorrow and try to get the OBD II device under the Drive Wise program.

· Registered
847 Posts
Its been show leaving OBDII readers 24/7 in the Volt can brick it, it can have inference with the inter-module communications
Not exactly.

There are 2 types of "OBD2 readers" -- active ones (that send data that other car modules see), and passive ones (that just listen). It's nearly impossible for a passive reader to cause any problems (other modules shouldn't even know it is there).

Active readers are a bit different. There are occasional reports of OnStar diagnostics not being able to connect, and the one report of a car with issues that could be ("Dead Volt"). However, it is up to the designers of the OBD2 tools to make sure that they will not interfere with the operation of the car.

That may well be why the insurance companies do not offer the discount for the Volt; they may be aware of the high volume of traffic on the bus, and realize that there is too high of a chance of interference (I'm guessing they aren't interested in passive listening).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.