GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all seen many posts on this forum about obd2 readers, leaving them connected to the OBD2 port and gaining all kinds of information from the Volt.

What I cannot find is this : Is there an OBD2 reader or scanner I can purchase that will give me the same info that OnStar can give me when they do a diagnostic ? For example: they will give you the code # and a time (like: get serviced immediately/within 3 day/at your next service)

I have to start paying OnStar in February and that is all I use them for. I have an Innova OBD2Can scanner that I have used successfully for about 5 years now .. but all codes were a letter followed by numbers (like; P1003). The Volt used multiple letters in their codes. I am not sure my scanner will work and will purchase another if needed. Also, I read somewhere on this site to not hook a scanner to the OBD2 port, only a reader ??

Any info on this would help greatly.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
OBD scanner/reader is the same thing just different way of saying it

You'll get the exact same code, and depending on the software you use it will link you to the details
(Or google it, or someone here posted a very large PDF that described each error code)
The codes are hex, IIRC, so you may have only seen ones that appeared to be P#### when in fact you could see alphanumeric values for mor than the first digit
For example, I pulled P0131 - fits your pattern
But also P0AB9 from the same device.

What you won't get is 'go to dealer immediately' 'within a week', etc
But you should be ale to reasonably come to that urgency yourself - a code for an O2 sensor can generally wait. A battery failure is probably ASAP, etc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure my scanner would give the codes with multiple letters .. for some reason I have been hesitant hooking it up the volt.

There is a site online ALLDATAdiy that I have used in the past with other vehicles and have had great success with DTCs and repair manuals. They say they have the same for the volt. I figure with the correct DTC I could probably guestimate urgency ... but the VOLT is so advanced I am not sure they can deliver on what they have in the past.

OBD scanner/reader is the same thing just different way of saying it

You'll get the exact same code, and depending on the software you use it will link you to the details
(Or google it, or someone here posted a very large PDF that described each error code)

What you won't get is 'go to dealer immediately' 'within a week', etc
But you should be ale to reasonably come to that urgency yourself - a code for an O2 sensor can generally wait. A battery failure is probably ASAP, etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts