GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are various other threads discussing OBD2 and PIDs and such. The Other threads have pointed to my personal csv file for downloading but I'm not positive I've incorporated everyone's feedback/comments. So I decided it would better to make this more public so I've moved all my Volt PIDs into a shared Google docs that everyone can read/edit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvK9F6VeA7dvdFUwSjBzR2FQM1BJTWZoLW43ZFdoTFE#gid=0

If you have used these PID and "validated" or have better calibrations for any unknown fields please update the spreadsheet linked above.

Discussion about some calibration processess and data fitting can be found in this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?12958-CAN-bus-reading-remote-viewing-of-charge-state

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Update:
How to get started using OBD2/Torque to get your own kWh meter.

Get an OBD2 Scanner with ELM327.. many choices on ebay . I've had best luck with VGATE branded ones (blue) with only 1 bad out of 6 bought. Cost is 15-30$ depending on what you get and how fast.

Get an android phone or tablets. Don't need the phoen to work so if on a budget an old phone (I've used G1s) or a phone with a bad EIN (so not really a phone any more) are good low cost options. A 7" or 10" tablet gives you more room for your screen.

Get Torque Pro from the Google Play store (You'll need the non-free $5 "pro" version to use custom PIDs which you'll need)

Plug the OBD2 connector under the left side of drivers dash. Enable bluetooth on the phone, start torque. Make sure it connects to device.

Follow the instructions on the "Notes" tab of the google doc to load the custom Volt PIDs. You might want to check back to get updates every now and then.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry man, but the document is completely read only.

·
Registered
906 Posts
There are various other threads discussing OBD2 and PIDs and such. The Other threads have pointed to my personal csv file for downloading but I'm not positive I've incorporated everyone's feedback/comments. So I decided it would better to make this more public so I've moved all my Volt PIDs into a shared Google docs that everyone can read/edit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvK9F6VeA7dvdFUwSjBzR2FQM1BJTWZoLW43ZFdoTFE#gid=0

If you have used these PID and "validated" or have better calibrations for any unknown fields please update the spreadsheet linked above.

Discussion about some calibration processess and data fitting can be found in this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?12958-CAN-bus-reading-remote-viewing-of-charge-state
this ROCKS!! I wish though we could find the A/C compressor RPM and Commanded drive.. . looks like it is a valid PID.. as well as high and low side tenperatures....just dont know the torque commands for them.
-Christopher

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry man, but the document is completely read only.
My bad, was edit only for directly shares. Fixed so everyone can now edit.

this ROCKS!! I wish though we could find the A/C compressor RPM and Commanded drive.. . looks like it is a valid PID.. as well as high and low side tenperatures....just dont know the torque commands for them.
-Christopher

Don't know/care much about AC I used mine when I bought it in TX, don't think I've used it in the 18 months since.
What do you mean by commanded drive?

Do you have any PID references from other vehicles for what you seek?
AC should be pretty easy to test now.. (It was too cold earlier in the year to force it on but with temps in the 80s now I might be able to get it to turn on/off which should make identifying it easy).

·
Registered
906 Posts
My bad, was edit only for directly shares. Fixed so everyone can now edit.

Don't know/care much about AC I used mine when I bought it in TX, don't think I've used it in the 18 months since.
What do you mean by commanded drive?

Do you have any PID references from other vehicles for what you seek?
AC should be pretty easy to test now.. (It was too cold earlier in the year to force it on but with temps in the 80s now I might be able to get it to turn on/off which should make identifying it easy).
supposedly DashDaq gives A/C line temperatures and the frequency for the compressor, line temperatures, etc... the only reason I dont buy a DashDaq is that teeny little 4" screen just doesnt interest me.. not for the money they want for DashDaq... with Torque I can run it on my 7" or 10" tablet... I dont know the PID's ... only the Volt has the variable speed compressor, the other cars just use the ICE on a belt drive..
-Christopher

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great! Thanks

As an electrical engineer that loves details (a necessity in my job) I have some remarks:

Column 6, I changed the units from A to V as it is Volts we talking about (!! HV Volt)

To be technically correct '!! MGB Amps' should be changed in '!! MGB Current' of course same for MGA. Agree?

In the same way " !! MGA W" should be " !! MGA P", P stands for Power, unit is W.

And if we are nitpicking, kph is not correct, it should be kmh coming from km/h. Although this could be a regional difference of course.

Something else:
Today I was at the Chevrolet garage for the first service of my Volt, no issues whatsoever, by the way. I showed the Torque app. The person at the garage did not know it yet. He really liked it. I told him that we did not have all codes yet. He said: 'but we do!' He went off to the back. One minute later he came back telling me that they do not have the codes either :-( They connect the volt to the internet and upload the codes to Chevrolet and get a report back. Too bad.... he was willing to get some missing codes for me!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Thanks

As an electrical engineer that loves details (a necessity in my job) I have some remarks:

Column 6, I changed the units from A to V as it is Volts we talking about (!! HV Volt)

To be technically correct '!! MGB Amps' should be changed in '!! MGB Current' of course same for MGA. Agree?

In the same way " !! MGA W" should be " !! MGA P", P stands for Power, unit is W.

And if we are nitpicking, kph is not correct, it should be kmh coming from km/h. Although this could be a regional difference of course.

Something else:
Today I was at the Chevrolet garage for the first service of my Volt, no issues whatsoever, by the way. I showed the Torque app. The person at the garage did not know it yet. He really liked it. I told him that we did not have all codes yet. He said: 'but we do!' He went off to the back. One minute later he came back telling me that they do not have the codes either :-( They connect the volt to the internet and upload the codes to Chevrolet and get a report back. Too bad.... he was willing to get some missing codes for me!

Correct away.. i agree, I was being lazy naming by units. (And amps is shorter than current and fits in smaller boxes.

The error codes have most/all of (also in the long term goal to add a reader for he OBD2 that translates codes to english descriptions) but that is lower than most of my other goals

·
Registered
847 Posts
The person at the garage did not know it yet. He really liked it. I told him that we did not have all codes yet. He said: 'but we do!' He went off to the back. One minute later he came back telling me that they do not have the codes either :-( They connect the volt to the internet and upload the codes to Chevrolet and get a report back. Too bad.... he was willing to get some missing codes for me!
FWIW, I'm guessing the codes he is talking about are the trouble codes (a/k/a check engine).

·
Registered
152 Posts
-Christopher
I am looking for these as well, due to the fact that when the A/C compressor is running for the battery while in fan only it doesn't report it's usage on the climate control power ball, even though you feel the cold air coming through the vents. I have also noticed that if the A/C compressor comes on for the battery in fan only mode it pulls as much power as it would in comfort mode, whereas if you put it in eco it forces it to pull at the lower rate.

·
Registered
152 Posts
PID Identification.

I have located the PID's for PRNDL and Transmission Pressure. Transmission Pressure is neat to watch when the vehicle is changing modes.

I also believe I have located the Battery Valve Position PID, but I haven't verified it yet. I think I have located the PID that indicates the High Voltage Contactor status, but I haven't figured out how to verify that.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks PG.. and I agree with your comment on the .5 vs the .48 but someone else did a calibration that seemed convincing and produce .48. But your comments about other losses, where were not accounted for in the calibration, are probably the reason. I expect the constants to be simple, but only if we are using the right units so I figured they might be right and it was a combined scaling and unit conversion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just finished generating every possible extended PID, there are 65,535 possible test points spread across at least five modules, time to get to work.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just finished generating every possible extended PID, there are 65,535 possible test points spread across at least five modules, time to get to work.
Just a word of caution.. probing some PID (or maybe probing too fast) has been known to cause that required a hard reset/tow. (I did not find the thread on a quick search).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just a word of caution.. probing some PID (or maybe probing too fast) has been known to cause that required a hard reset/tow. (I did not find the thread on a quick search).
Thanks for the heads up, I'm working in batches of 300 in groups close to known good points. Found thirty or so that yield anything other then the Volt's default response when you query a point the module doesn't handle.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Dumb newbie question. Is there a format to adding the modeandPID in Torque? I just entered the hex numeric shown in the spreadsheet and I'm thinking I need to add a mode also. I'm not getting any values for the electric power consumption/regen but I'm getting everything else.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dumb newbie question. Is there a format to adding the modeandPID in Torque? I just entered the hex numeric shown in the spreadsheet and I'm thinking I need to add a mode also. I'm not getting any values for the electric power consumption/regen but I'm getting everything else.

You add the ModeAndPID number ash showsn (Column c). the Mode is the first 2 digits of the number (and if its only a 4 digit number than the mode is still the first 2 digitis,so 015D is mode 01, field 5D. Mode 22 had longer PID numbers) But you also need to set the OBD Header (column H).

Note some of the are "virutal PID", so Column C is empty and then you have to have the entries for the elements of the formula, e.g.
!! MGB Power,MGB W,,[222886]*[222884],-4000,4000,W,7e1

is virtual and requires that you have defined formulas for PID 222866 and 222884, (MBG current and power)

By far the easier way to get these is to save read the "note" tab and follow instructions to load the whole spreadsheet into torque, then you can just select which ones you like.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Never mind.

Resaved it as an excel spreadsheet rather than a .csv file and now there is a note tab.

Should be able to see the notes in the google doc online. CSV saves only the current sheet, but to load into torque you want csv (not excel).

1 - 20 of 141 Posts