GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard confirmation direct from the Thruway authority that they'll be installing at least one DCFC at all of their 3 dozen or so plaza-style rest areas along the Thruway.

For those interested in this infrastructure in NY state, with this knowledge in hand, I also wrote to them specifically suggesting that they ensure that the charging rates are designed with future proofing in mind. See the note I sent below, and feel free to contact them as well to emphasize the importance of charging rates that support successful EV adoption for long-range travel.

The Thruway authority has a contact form at: http://www.thruway.ny.gov/about/contact/index.html

Hello,

I heard that you will be installing DC Fast Charging stations at all of the Thruway plazas, with both CCS and Chademo ports, which is great news! I wanted to recommend that, at a minimum, these stations be capable of 100kW charging rates. Ideally, 150kW would be even better, as the next generation of electric vehicles that are just now starting to be released will be capable of these kinds of charge rates, though even with these rates, it will take them around 30-40 minutes to recharge.

There are also some DC fast charge stations that are designed with future upgrades in mind. ABB recently released their Terra HP line of chargers, which can be upgraded from 150kW to as high as 350kW, making future proofing easier to attain. They are specifically designed for highway rest stops, see: http://www.abb.com/cawp/seitp202/c2ed43a8ef2e1de2c12581ae002d26b8.aspx

ChargePoint has a similar product available as well, though their software user/maintenance fees are often excessive, in my opinion.

In closing, please ensure at least 100kW chargers at the Thruway stops, 50kW is simply not sufficient. Higher charging rates like 150kW is much preferred, and ABB makes a great solution that allows expansion to higher charging rates as EV technology continues to evolve.

I would also be happy to discuss any of this in greater details with the relevant personnel charged with implementing these stations across the Thruway, if that would be of benefit to you.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Will these be state/tax payer funded and managed, or are they going to contract this out to a third party? If state let's hope they enact and enforce strict "anti-ICE'ing" laws.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Will these be state/tax payer funded and managed, or are they going to contract this out to a third party? If state let's hope they eBay they enact and enforce strict "anti-ICE'ing" laws.
I bet VW dieselgate money is involved.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
In your letter you wrote:... I wanted to recommend that, at a minimum, these stations be capable of 100kW charging rates. Ideally, 150kW would be even better...

Are there any CCS cars capable of this rate?
Does the SAE spec for CCS even go that high?

I know some car manufacturers are making big claims in this area, but we don't need anymore 'Proprietary' charging formats.

We need a network in place ASAP. With current tech.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
No and yes. I think the SAE standard goes over 300 kW. Wouldn't surprise if several cars which could use at least 120-150 kW are released in the next couple of years. The Mission-E will supposedly be able to use 350 kW charging. Completely agree on the proprietary front, but I don't see that happening. Most stations now support CCS and CHAdeMO. Easy to do. And manufacturers don't seem interested in developing anything else.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I hope these augment the J1772 chargers that are already available at several of the rest areas instead of replacing them. Some of us drive Volts :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just hope they set the cost high enough that long-distance travelers have access and they're not constantly clogged up by locals.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I just hope they set the cost high enough that long-distance travelers have access and they're not constantly clogged up by locals.
The NY Thruway is a toll road...I doubt locals are going to pay the fee just to get to a charging station, BUT...
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity." - Robert A. Heinlein

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I just hope they install more than one stall. I've personally never seen any DCFC installation other than Superchargers with more than one stall (I'm sure they exist, I've just never seen them in my area). I'd hate to roll up to a CCS and see the one spot taken for the next .5 hr, and then I have to charge for .5 hr after that. I also hear about equipment being down for weeks or months at a time (true for many J1772 as well, unfortunately). At least Tesla puts in multiple stalls and seems to be on top of maintenance.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I just hope they install more than one stall. I've personally never seen any DCFC installation other than Superchargers with more than one stall (I'm sure they exist, I've just never seen them in my area). I'd hate to roll up to a CCS and see the one spot taken for the next .5 hr, and then I have to charge for .5 hr after that. I also hear about equipment being down for weeks or months at a time (true for many J1772 as well, unfortunately). At least Tesla puts in multiple stalls and seems to be on top of maintenance.
There are EVgo CCS/CHAdeMO stations installed at 2 NJTP Supercharger locations (Molly Pitcher and one other one). 2 stations at each location. BUT they have been inoperable for over 2 months now! WTF! I used them in early July and they worked just fine, so not sure why they have been offline for so long.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
.. BUT they have been inoperable for over 2 months now! WTF! I used them in early July and they worked just fine, so not sure why they have been offline for so long.
Joy See....:(

Come on, are you as bad as all the jokes?

Get off your duff and fix your brand new DCFC units.

·
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So they are finally following thru on the Governor's proposal?
https://insideevs.com/ny-governor-chargers-thruway/
It appears that way. ;)

In your letter you wrote:... I wanted to recommend that, at a minimum, these stations be capable of 100kW charging rates. Ideally, 150kW would be even better...

I know some car manufacturers are making big claims in this area, but we don't need anymore 'Proprietary' charging formats.

We need a network in place ASAP. With current tech.
The 100kW is for future proofing. Even today, the Bolt EV charges at max rate with an 80kW DCFC, 50kW is insufficient. There are several recent articles about EVs coming out in the next year that can take advantage of 100kW and above.

ABB and Chargepoint have stations capable of higher rates, or will very shortly. The recommendations I chose to make are to future proof the installations so we don't end up with 400 mile range BEVs in a few years sitting at a 50kW station for over an hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts