GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm concerned with the price of gas and I want to buy a Volt. But where do I plug it in? I live in an apartment in NYC - I can't just drape an extension cord from my window to my new car.

Any thought to charging stations for those of us that do not live in a private residence?

--Tiquillo

·
Registered
108 Posts
In the LONG run, I could see municipalities like the Big Apple putting coin-activated charging stations that double as parking meters. you put your two-dollar coin on one side to buy parking time, and on the other side to power up your car. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
So I'm concerned with the price of gas and I want to buy a Volt. But where do I plug it in? I live in an apartment in NYC - I can't just drape an extension cord from my window to my new car.

Any thought to charging stations for those of us that do not live in a private residence?

--Tiquillo
If you commute to work, you could convince your workplace to install an outlet in the parking lot. Most parking lots already have lighting, so it's as simple as tapping into this circuit at the base of the lamppost. The tricky part is arranging to pay for electricity used from said socket. (My workplace spends $25k per month on electricity, so I don't think they'll really care.) The simplest thing is to put a lock on the outlet and then use the honor system among those who have a key.

The point is that you don't necessarily need to plug in at home - it could be anywhere that you go regularly and stay for more than a couple hours at a time - your girlfriend's house, for instance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts