GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Volt too much $$$$$$$

If the Volt price is as speculated then they will have a lot of them on the shelf---

18000 more for the volt over other hybrids will kill this car - No way in hell will I pay that much extra.

I have been a loyal GM buyer all my life - but - this car at this projected price is a no go.

I know the majority of people will feel the same.

The Volt will be a niche car that only people with lots of disposable$$$$$$$$$$$ will buy.

I hope this changes - I really would like to get into this technology. I am sure that someone else will do the same thing cheaper.

·
Registered
495 Posts
$27,949.42

That's what GM needs to beat in order to remain competitive with the Prius. If they can't do that, it will remain a niche car. But I do believe they could sell at least 5,000 per year even at $45,000.

The reality is the Volt will be an overpriced car. We won't see a competitively priced EREV until 2016 at the earliest, unless the Japanese release something before then.

·
Banned
597 Posts
$27,949.42

That's what GM needs to beat in order to remain competitive with the Prius. If they can't do that, it will remain a niche car. But I do believe they could sell at least 5,000 per year even at $45,000.

The reality is the Volt will be an overpriced car. We won't see a competitively priced EREV until 2016 at the earliest, unless the Japanese release something before then.
It sounds to me like GM will lose this battle to Toyota and Honda too. I guess the only good thing is that Wagoner and Bob Lutz won't get bonuses in 2008. Maybe that savings will help them make money at $30,000. If not, at least it is closer to what they are worth.

·
Registered
181 Posts
25 years ago I made the same prediction about the Corvette. I said that GM was pricing it out of the market and that would spell the demise of the Vette.

I was SO wrong. Today $45K would be a steal for a new Vette. Their sticker starts over $50K and goes up from there, and the Bowling Green Corvette plant can't make enough. There are lots people out there with huge amounts of disposable income. They buy new Vettes, Hummers, F250's, Lexus's, Caddy's, BMW's, etc, etc, etc. every day at prices well above $45K. I don't think that even $45K will be a killer for the Volt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
45,000 $$$ Volt Killer

Who are you trying to kid- 45,000 for a 4 passenger car branded the peoples car "Chevrolet"

This car is supposed to save GM's ass.

Take a look at what Bob Lutz has to say about the Volt not being a niche car @ http://gm-volt.com/

Even he knows that if this car is not a home run on a volume bases, a car that the masses can afford then - what is the sense,

If GM does not bring it to market at a reasonable price, then someone else will (probably Honda or Toyota)

Once again - 18,000 more than a Prius is a Volt killer!!!!!!!!!

GM BEWARE

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Volt at 35k Plus is going to kill it for many folks! I don't think I would be willing to pay that much for it. I will need to see one first and then I will decide. I do think it is like anything else new to the market though - You have to pay more to be the first guy on the block with the new cool hi-tech item. I will just wait until later if that is to be the case or get something else.

·
Registered
288 Posts
2008 Prius =~ 22,000
A123 PHEV upgrade =~ 10,000
-----------------------------------
2008 PHEV Prius =~ 32,000

That's the target price, IMO. Why would someone buy a Volt for 48k when they could have a PHEV Prius for 32k.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Heh people...

Always looking at upfront costs and never looking to cost of use. Spend 22k on a car while spending 15k on fuel for the life of the vehicle and complain about a car that could cost 35k while spending only 3k on fuel during its lifespan.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I dont know if I have seen as many GM haters commenting in one place under that article. Of course, the author completely misses the true cost when you look at gas prices compared to electric prices. Since he didnt even mention the variables, its obvious he has a bone to pick.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Heh people...

................................HEV Prius.....PHEV Prius
Cost ........................22k.............32k
Proj Mont Payment...400..............581
Gal / Month...............43.25 .........19.58
Fuel / Mon ($4gal)*...173.............95
Total Cost / Month.....573.............676

I'm still down $100 / month with the PHEV. Another way to look at it is I save $88 / month on fuel which would take 113 months (9 years, 5 months) to pay for what it cost to do the upgrade.

And that's for a PHEV Prius which is $32k not $35k-$48k like the Volt should be.

BTW, I figured the break even point on a monthly basis for the PHEV Prius would be about $26,840. That means it would have to cost $4840 for the upgrade which would require a $5160 tax rebate.

*Assumes 70 cents per 'electric gallon'

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Prius =~ 22,000
A123 PHEV upgrade =~ 10,000
-----------------------------------
2008 PHEV Prius =~ 32,000

That's the target price, IMO. Why would someone buy a Volt for 48k when they could have a PHEV Prius for 32k.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can think of two good reasons. No warranty for PHEV Prius and it catches on fire:

http://gizmodo.com/5018111/aftermarket-plug+in-prius-battery-causes-balls-of-fire-explosion
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/06/18/converted-plug-in-prius-destroyed-by-fire/

·
Registered
109 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can think of two good reasons. No warranty for PHEV Prius and it catches on fire:

http://gizmodo.com/5018111/aftermarket-plug+in-prius-battery-causes-balls-of-fire-explosion
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/06/18/converted-plug-in-prius-destroyed-by-fire/
There was a sequence of issues that caused that...but the main problem was faulty installation, one bolt was not tightened down completely.
Now, there were also issues with construction materials and the lack of adequate temp sensors and safety mechanisms when the battery became overheated b/c of the faulty install. But the Hymotion pack is supposed to have addressed those faults.
http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_A123_car_fire_investigation_report_2008

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh, and there is a warranty...
http://www.a123systems.com/hymotion/faqs/warranty_and_service

Warranty & Service
Is there a warranty for the Hymotion L5 and the batteries inside?
The L5s have a standard 3 year warranty. Additional warranty options may be offered at a later date.

Will the Hymotion conversion alter the warranty given by the vehicle's manufacturer?

Federal consumer protection laws do not allow a vehicle's OEM to void a consumer's warranty for installing a Hymotion module unless the Hymotion module is the direct cause of an otherwise warranted problem. For example, Toyota shouldn't void your warranty on your headlights for putting a module in your trunk. The Hymotion L5 is engineered not to adversely affect any OEM-warranted system. Our product field testing of over 200,000 miles of real life driving did not show any otherwise warrantable problems on the stock vehicle caused by the L5. If a vehicle's OEM denies a Hymotion customer warranty service due to a problem caused by a Hymotion module, A123 will pay for the otherwise warranted repair. SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association provides guidance on understanding the legal protection for aftermarket products, specifically the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Click here for more information.

Where can I get service if I have a problem with my module?
If you experience any problems with your module, contact the Green CHIP dealer that did your install for diagnosis and repair of the problem. If the unit is faulty due to manufacturing, A123Systems will replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Motortrend Mag lists Volt as 2010 model

Recently if you picked up the Sept edition of Motortrend magazine, it lists the Volt in there as a 2010 model. It has n/a for price and other specs.... but at least it does acknowledge it, so the word will get around more. It says "look out Prius, this is a game changer!".

·
Registered
782 Posts
Recently if you picked up the Sept edition of Motortrend magazine, it lists the Volt in there as a 2010 model. It has n/a for price and other specs.... but at least it does acknowledge it, so the word will get around more. It says "look out Prius, this is a game changer!".
That fits perfectly with my prediction of an "early release".
Let's get the Volt's wheels on the road!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Early release??? I hope you are right but they just decided on the plant for the ICE and haven't announced the battery contract yet and just redesigned the layout of the engine and stuff.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Early release??? I hope you are right but they just decided on the plant for the ICE and haven't announced the battery contract yet and just redesigned the layout of the engine and stuff.
Don't go cunfusing the issue with facts. Just remember who mentioned it (g).
Be well,
Tag

1 - 18 of 18 Posts