GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have noises coming from around both the front doors. The noise gets worse when cold.

It's a bit hard to describe a sound but I'll try. It's a muted rattle type sound, like two things rubbing together. But it's not "sharp" like two hard things. Maybe instead like the inner door panels are not mounted right.

I have already taken it to the dealer, they confirmed the sound but weren't able to make it go away.

So, two questions:

Does anyone know what this sound is?

And, how can it be fixed?

The rest if the car is so quiet that this sound is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
743 Posts
It is unacceptable for the Dealer to acknowledge a problem and not fix it. Have you talked with a Volt Advisor? Has the dealer called Chevy?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've had the same problem (just on driver side door). Biggest problem has been reproducing it for them as the appropriate weather conditions never seem to apply when I get there. They did reglue the panel or something one time and it helped a little, but every once in a while it starts up and gets annoying. I've found I can stick a credit card in the door seem if I'm on a long trip to stop it, but need to be careful I don't lose it when I stop and open the door!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same problem. Both doors rattle and both dashboard pads rattle/buzz. The passenger side dash pad was fixed with some velcro. The driver's side pad was completely replaced but still rattles/buzzes. The doors both still rattle like you described. They replaced the clips but the sound is still there.

I'm in a loaner Volt right now while they replace the body control module in my Volt for another problem, and the loaner volt has the dash rattle/buzz too, but to a lesser degree. I haven't heard the door rattle/buzz in the loaner yet though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that it is quite cold here in Michigan, my intermittent door rattle turned into a continuous one. And, anyone with troubleshooting experience knows that continuous problems are easier to find than intermittent ones.

I shoved a folded business card between the upper upholstered part of the door liner and the metal of the door...Voila, problem solved. Will upgrade the card to a bit of rubber now. Yes, I could take the car back to the dealer, but it's more efficient for me to do it myself :).

Somebody else found the same solution here...http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?87930-Temperature-Related-Squeaks-and-Rattles. I posted in that thread too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts