GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To any volt driver, I was wondering if it is a coincidence, or if anyone else has noticed any numb spots on the bottom of their feet, since owning / driving their Chevy Volt.

I bought mine in 2015, and still driving it after 120k miles, with virtually zero problems. Love the car.
But not long after I bought it, I developed some numb spots under the joints in my left foot, then later the right foot, and now to this day, several scattered numb spots, including tips of my toes.

No pain, no problems with function, but annoying due to the fact that the random numb spots makes it feel like I'm walking on wrinkled socks.

re: numb toes, no, I am not a diabetic and have no other neurological problems.

Could it be due to EMF near the electric motors and control module in the front of the car, just in front of the drivers' feet?

·
Administrator
23,082 Posts
Could it be due to EMF near the electric motors and control module in the front of the car, just in front of the drivers' feet?

Reactions: Ryan IL and RCB268

·
Registered
298 Posts
You get more EMF from your cellphone than from your car. It could be the seat applying pressure to an artery or vein in your posterior or legs.Your feet are the farthest from your heart and any circulatory issue could appear first as tingly toes. Try a seat cushion to see if that helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have these numb spots too on the bottoms of my feet. I've had this for several years now. And I don't drive a Volt. I think it has nothing to do with your car, I was advised by my Dr that some as they get older lose feeling there because some nerve endings on the bottom of the foot have "worn out" , or have lost their sensitivity. I feel like I have wads of cotton balls under/between my toes. Getting old sucks, but it still beats the alternative!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I have these numb spots too on the bottoms of my feet. I've had this for several years now. And I don't drive a Volt. I think it has nothing to do with your car, I was advised by my Dr that some as they get older lose feeling there because some nerve endings on the bottom of the foot have "worn out" , or have lost their sensitivity. I feel like I have wads of cotton balls under/between my toes. Getting old sucks, but it still beats the alternative!
Ask your doctor to do an A1C test. One of the signs of diabetes is loss of feeling in the feet. For adults Type II Diabetes is a real concern, especially since so many of us don't get enough exercise and eat more than we should. And yes, although I now swim up to 2,000 yards (> 1.1 miles) a day I still eat too much, I'm include myself in the above statement.

Reactions: RCB268

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ask your doctor to do an A1C test. One of the signs of diabetes is loss of feeling in the feet. For adults Type II Diabetes is a real concern, especially since so many of us don't get enough exercise and eat more than we should. And yes, although I now swim up to 2,000 yards (> 1.1 miles) a day I still eat too much, I'm include myself in the above statement.
Appreciate that but no diabetes here. I am 6'2", weigh 195 and walk 4 rounds of golf pretty much every week. Up until age 44 (68 now) I played city league basketball in addition to industrial league which means 3-4 games a week and not to mention any practices. I think I wore the bottoms of my feet out, lol.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,311 Posts
At the risk of going way off topic, diabetes is a disease of organ function, not a consequence of obesity. The obesity is a possible symptom.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would not say there are no biological affects from EMF however I would suspect the problem is more likely related to the seat cutting off circulation in the legs. When I was in my 20s I always slept under an electric blanket in the winter. It was great to have the house down in the low 60s at night and climb into a toasty warm bed. I have worked in acoustics and electro-acoustics for many years and had excellent hearing back then. One night close to falling asleep I noticed a low ringing in my ears when the blanket controller would click. I noticed my ears would ring and not ring alternating to the clicks. As an experiment, I threw the blanket down to my feet and listened carefully. The ringing went away between clicks. I pulled the blanket back over me and listened carefully again. The ringing in my ears returned. I had my wife buy a goose down comforter and I never slept under an electric blanket again. It may not have a biological affect on the body however I thought I would play it safe as 8 hrs a night over a lifetime is a lot of exposure.

As far as the seat goes...I bought a gel cushion for my Volt seat when I first got the car. It is very comfortable for long trips and seems to be keeping the seat looking pristine. I got one of the cushions that internally looks like a waffle. It is a little over 1" thick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts