GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think it is a real pity that car manufacturers and dealers treat electric cars like they are an orphan. They don't advertise them, they don't promote them. Many dealers would prefer they didn't exist. If everyone who thinks climate change is a real problem would buy an electric car, it would be the first sizable dent we humans would make in the problem.

·
Administrator
20,444 Posts
If everyone who thinks climate change is a real problem would buy an electric car, it would be the first sizable dent we humans would make in the problem.
I did my part. My two car family is a Volt and Bolt.

Fear of the unknown is what's keeping many away I think.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, it really is amazing how little people know about these types of cars. I get more looks plugging my Volt in then I do driving my race car. When I first brought the Volt home all my neighbors came up to me asking questions about it when they saw it plugged in sitting in my driveway. They all assume it takes days to charge to go a very short distance. Almost nobody knew that it had an onboard generator to keep you going even after the battery is done.

Then there is the stigma about it. People cant believe I bought an electric car being that I am such a hot rod guy. I explain to them that the hot rods are for when I get the urge to do something stupid but the electric car is more practical for daily use and the environment.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
.... Almost nobody knew that it had an onboard generator to keep you going even after the battery is done. ...
This is one (strange/complicated) way of explaining the car.

The Volt is a PHEV. A Plug in - Hybrid - Electric Vehicle.
(Chevy used to use other words.)

It is an EV until the battery gets low, then it turns into a Hybrid, just like a Prius. Only better!
It can be a parallel or series Hybrid and it always makes 150 HP, unlike the Prius. :p

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
"My wife just told me her car's too small," says Mark Bauhs, who is test driving mid-size SUVS. "So, I need a bigger car."
This is my problem. Stop focusing on the most efficient class of vehicles, and make something larger. Transitioning from a 45mpg compact car to an EV really doesn't save you anything cost wise. Transitioning from a 20mpg SUV to an EV makes a much bigger difference.

CUVs are clearly the preference in America. As a person with 2 kids and 2 dogs, a compact sedan doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Gas taxes would also help. California's tax loving anti-emission politicians can call them emissions taxes and hit traditional power plants as well. About the only thing that gets Americans out of the SUVs and into something that actually meets their needs (vs. wants) is higher gas prices.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Most electricity in this country is still generated from coal. Unless you are buying/generating 100% clean energy, your EV is just transferring your tailpipe emissions to a smoke stack.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Most electricity in this country is still generated from coal. Unless you are buying/generating 100% clean energy, your EV is just transferring your tailpipe emissions to a smoke stack.
That's simply not true, coal is 30% of the US electricity supply and it's dropping, being replaced with natural gas which is much cheaper, not just the fuel but also in manpower, a gas plant requires a small fraction of the people who are required to run a coal plant. In MA 0% of the electricity is from coal, probably the same for the West coast also. When running on electricity in New England the CO2 emissions are pretty close to the MPGe rating of the car, i.e. a Bolt is the equivalent of a 122 MPG car, it's rated at 119 MPGe, the Volt on battery is equivalent to a 102 MPG car, about what it's MPGe rating is.

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicl...ev-emissions-tool#z/01886/2018/Chevrolet/Volt

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicl...ev-emissions-tool#z/01886/2018/Chevrolet/Bolt

Even in the Midwest which still uses coal an electric car is still better than the best hybrid, although not by much, in Chicago a Bolt is equivalent to a 60MPG car.

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicl...ev-emissions-tool#z/60615/2018/Chevrolet/Bolt

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
"It (the EV) is ambitious because there is nothing really wrong with the cars we drive today,"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say that is an accurate statement if you ignore the environmental aspect. And of course, most people do just that, so this is true for the average person. It will really take gas shortages or a significant spike in gas prices or taxes before most people have any reason to re-think their trusty ICE vehicles and consider anything different. It is unrealistic to expect anything different from the general public. I don't think this can be pinned on a lack of marketing from the auto industry. They give their customers what the customers want.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
And it's a lot easier to clean up the emissions from the 8,000 or so coal and gas plants vs. millions of small, mobile, point sources of emissions.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"It (the EV) is ambitious because there is nothing really wrong with the cars we drive today,"

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/13/6472...-foe-isn-t-trump-it-s-car-loving-californians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my book this quote is simply wrong. But, it's impossible to explain it in terms most people can relate to. The experience of driving and EV is just so much less stressful and more fun that it tells me there certainly is someone wrong with current ICE cars. Obviously people that test drive and then buy all those Tesla's get it. Apparently the marketeers haven't been able to put there finger on it either. I'm fortunate enough to have Bolt and Volt. I don't really care which I drive as long and the Volt is in EV mode, but when it switches to hybrid, the fun is gone. I just don't know why.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Change is hard for people. This reminds me of the, "you're not taking my landline" people when cell phones because prevalent.

Nobody is taking your landline and nobody is taking your ICE vehicle. If you want to have a landline you can still have one but paying for it is rather silly for most circumstances.

ICE vehicles will eventually be the same. If you want to have an ICE vehicle and pay for the increased fuel and maintenance costs you will still be able to do that.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
In BC, the electricity is 93% from clean sources. There is no shortage of clean electricity in the world. Solar (so long as there is a sun, wind (there will always be a wind, more in some places than others) with huge chemical pools to store the energy (it can be pumped to the exchange containers, it doesn't have to be in the "battery" itself) for when the sun doesn't shine (night) or the wind doesn't blow to meet demand and tidal (so long as there is a sun and a moon) both when going out and coming in. All that is needed is the money to build the infrastructure. Hard to get over that hurdle when there is lots of cheap hydrocarbon to use for a long time yet. Global warming? One country can't fix the problem and getting every one in various stages of development to agree is no mean feat. So it will get worse before it gets better.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It seems like it's starting to turn. I parked at MGM in Detroit the other day because I had a couple hours between meetings and needed to take a conference call, and everyone of their (24) Level 2 chargers were occupied. All they had left were a couple of the 120V outlets that you can use your own charger in.

I'll also mention, after driving my Volt, my 68 year old parents just bought a used 2017 CT6 Plug-in and they love it. And they live in Kansas where there is very little charging infrastructure (though they were excited about being able to always get the good spots at the Hy-Vee grocery store that has chargers).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you want to look at the future the Palo Alto number of 29% EVs is instructive. There are a number of factors that effect EV sales,

a) Affordability. Palo Alto has a median household income of 137K, more than twice the national median so EVs are already affordable there. Affordability is a necessary but not sufficient factor. My town, Westford MA has the same $137K median household income and I've only seen 3 other Volts in town, one Leaf, and no Teslas. I do see a lot of Teslas in Concord and Needham.

b) Range. Range is climate dependent. The effective range of an EV is 30% higher in CA due to their lack of winter. For the rest of the country the range will have to improve by that 30% before it's good enough.

c) Charging infrastructure. CA has it, nobody else does.

d) Awareness. There is a snowball effect, as more people buy EVs their neighbors become aware of them, as awareness grows, purchases grow. My personal experience is that on those rare occasions where I find an EVSE to plug into someone will always come up to me to ask about the car, people are interested but they just don't see a lot of EVs around.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I'd say that is an accurate statement if you ignore the environmental aspect. And of course, most people do just that, so this is true for the average person. It will really take gas shortages or a significant spike in gas prices or taxes before most people have any reason to re-think their trusty ICE vehicles and consider anything different. It is unrealistic to expect anything different from the general public. I don't think this can be pinned on a lack of marketing from the auto industry. They give their customers what the customers want.
I would argue that the customers know what they want because of manfacturers' advertising. Today trucks, SUVs and CUVs are being advertised. Sedans...not so much. Electrics...hardly at all, as exampled by GM advertising - at least where the Volt is concerned.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
....my 68 year old parents just bought a used 2017 CT6 Plug-in and they love it. And they live in Kansas where there is very little charging infrastructure .....
I beg your pardon? :confused:

From Kansas City. They love EV's on both sides of the state line!
Clean Charge Network
https://www.kcpl.com/involvement/environmental-focus/clean-charge-network
In one of the top places to own an electric vehicle, with more charging stations than any other U.S. city, now is the time to find out more. The KCP&L Clean Charge Network consists of over 1,000 electric vehicle charging stations ...
15 of them are 50kW DCFC stations.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I beg your pardon? :confused:

From Kansas City. They love EV's on both sides of the state line!
Clean Charge Network
https://www.kcpl.com/involvement/environmental-focus/clean-charge-network
In one of the top places to own an electric vehicle, with more charging stations than any other U.S. city, now is the time to find out more. The KCP&L Clean Charge Network consists of over 1,000 electric vehicle charging stations ...
15 of them are 50kW DCFC stations.
I meant they are out in the country in Kansas (well over an hour from KC) and not near any large towns. They drive about 25 minutes to go to a grocery store.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I would argue that the customers know what they want because of manfacturers' advertising. Today trucks, SUVs and CUVs are being advertised. Sedans...not so much. Electrics...hardly at all, as exampled by GM advertising - at least where the Volt is concerned.
You may be right, but I don't see it this way. I think advertising helps the consumer decide between an F150 and a Silverado. It doesn't help him decide between a pickup truck vs. a sports car vs. an economy car. He makes that decision based on other factors like what his friends and family who have similar needs are finding useful. It's not the responsibility of the car industry to try to switch people's preferences from ICE to EV, just like it is not McDonald's responsibility to guide customers away from french fries toward salads.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts