GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Volt is in the shop for repairs. It has <23000 miles on it of which <2000 are on the engine. What is wrong?

A motor mount has failed and it is not covered by warranty.

This will be my 3rd GM car with a failed motor mount although none this early. Yup, this is the GM I remember.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My 2012 Volt is in the shop for repairs. It has <23000 miles on it of which <2000 are on the engine. What is wrong?

This will be my 3rd GM car with a failed motor mount although none this early. Yup, this is the GM I remember.
Sounds like lightning struck three time :(
Hardly a widespread issue..

Feel free to sell it

·
Registered
921 Posts
Keep in mind that the electric motor shares those mounts with the gas engine, so every mile counts, not just the gas miles.

There was a thread about an accident breaking a motor mount a while back.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Sorry you are having problems with your motor mount. You might want to recheck the warranty status with the dealer. According to GM the powertrain warranty reads in part;

" Powertrain Coverage
In addition to the 3-year/36,000 mile protection, many of your powertrain components are protected even further with coverage extending to 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Coverage for 2500 and 3500 Series Heavy Duty (HD) Pickups equipped with a 6.6L Duramax, and qualifying fleet vehicles is for 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Engine
Engine coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management valve, lifter and oil manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line), as well as the Engine/ Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming. "

Note that the motor mount is included under the items covered.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry you are having problems with your motor mount. You might want to recheck the warranty status with the dealer. According to GM the powertrain warranty reads in part;

" Powertrain Coverage
In addition to the 3-year/36,000 mile protection, many of your powertrain components are protected even further with coverage extending to 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Coverage for 2500 and 3500 Series Heavy Duty (HD) Pickups equipped with a 6.6L Duramax, and qualifying fleet vehicles is for 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Engine
Engine coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management valve, lifter and oil manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line), as well as the Engine/ Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming. "

Note that the motor mount is included under the items covered.
I will certainly reread my warranty and if it agrees with you will discuss further with them. In the past I have been told "oh no, that's the blah, blah warranty not the your car warranty". Like the '89 turbo grand prix I had where the manifolds and the turbocharger were excluded from GM's warranty because they were done by McLaren and ASC for GM but not by GM. McLaren and ASC did not have separate warranty because it was done for GM.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I will certainly reread my warranty and if it agrees with you will discuss further with them. In the past I have been told "oh no, that's the blah, blah warranty not the your car warranty". Like the '89 turbo grand prix I had where the manifolds and the turbocharger were excluded from GM's warranty because they were done by McLaren and ASC for GM but not by GM. McLaren and ASC did not have separate warranty because it was done for GM.
Others can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I've always wondered if dealerships are simply trying to take advantage of the situation. If it's a warranty repair, GM corporate might have specific cost limitations, but if the dealership can get you to pay out of your pocket, they get to over-charge for the repairs.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

What symptoms did you have for the failed motor mount?

I have driven a lot of cars and never had a failed motor mount, but they can separate. Have all 3 motor mounts failed with the same GM dealer? :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you have any concerns or issues with the dealer simply call GM directly. I know in the past I had nothing but issues with multiple GM dealerships. However contacting GM directly took care of any issues (except in 1 instance). It got to the point where I decided it was easier to proactively contact GM before going to the dealership for warranty repairs.

It was these experiences that caused me to avoid GM for 15 years or so. My Volt experience so far has been 180 degree difference. My experience with the dealerships have been painless. Well as painless as they can be when having to take your car in to a dealership. The GM dealerships have been significantly better than what I had to deal with when it came to Toyota.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes, my warranty paperwork says it covers the motor mount.

But, more back story is necessary because I don't think it is the front motor mount at all (and it is very distinctly that side of the engine) and it's kinda why I started this thread. First, the car operates perfectly in EV mode. Zero noticeable differences from the past 3 years. The only issue is when the genset comes on there is an RPM dependent loud buzzing noise similar to putting a playing card on a bicycle to buzz striking the spokes. And it is quite loud. That is very different from any motor mount failure noise I have experienced previously.

But the worst part is I HATE THIS CRUZE Rental!!!!! It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to start it before I was advised to flip out the key and insert it in the ignition like the old days. And this 50 speed transmission is constantly changing gears. But worst of all is no regen, downshifting the transmission manually just leads to the engine revving up to 5K RPMs but not slowing down the car. I want my EV back!

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Did the dealer tell you that the motor mount is bad?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts

But, more back story is necessary because I don't think it is the front motor mount at all (and it is very distinctly that side of the engine) and it's kinda why I started this thread. First, the car operates perfectly in EV mode. Zero noticeable differences from the past 3 years. The only issue is when the genset comes on there is an RPM dependent loud buzzing noise similar to putting a playing card on a bicycle to buzz striking the spokes. And it is quite loud. That is very different from any motor mount failure noise I have experienced previously.

But the worst part is I HATE THIS CRUZE Rental!!!!! It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to start it before I was advised to flip out the key and insert it in the ignition like the old days. And this 50 speed transmission is constantly changing gears. But worst of all is no regen, downshifting the transmission manually just leads to the engine revving up to 5K RPMs but not slowing down the car. I want my EV back!
I wonder if this is similar to the bearing failure that has been known to happen in the pre MY 2013 Volts, but the noise should noticeable during EV operation as well. I had to have mine replaced in my MY 2012, and everything was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Yes. And the rest of this response is to meet the minimum required length.
Ok, just checking because the there's three mounts and it's not a simple procedure to check them.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to forum members for the help with the warranty info. It was covered under the powertrain warranty, which still has 4 months left before the 5 years is up. It's a weird mount with the fixed part mounted to the chassis under compression and engine part under tension. The tension part has two or more separate attaching points to the front of the block and one of those points had completely broken in half. So the buzzing was the broken attachment while the other attachment point(s) held the engine in place.

So if you have a loud buzzing noise on the right side of the engine compartment only when the engine is running...

·
Registered
389 Posts
hello.. Had a rental in PA on one of the coldest days of the year about 1.5 years ago. Same thing happened to me as I kept pushing the key phobe buttons. I almost started to call the rental company, but i finally put the key bar in the hidden slot. And stepped on the brake.

If a Dealer took a title on the car, then I believe the warranty time period starts with the first Title? Even if its a Demo. That would mean I may lose 3 months of coverage.

But, more back story i

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Thanks to forum members for the help with the warranty info. It was covered under the powertrain warranty, which still has 4 months left before the 5 years is up. It's a weird mount with the fixed part mounted to the chassis under compression and engine part under tension. The tension part has two or more separate attaching points to the front of the block and one of those points had completely broken in half. So the buzzing was the broken attachment while the other attachment point(s) held the engine in place.

So if you have a loud buzzing noise on the right side of the engine compartment only when the engine is running...
I'm glad it was taken care of under warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts