GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email from Tesla (must have gotten on their list when I reserved my Model 3 (then subsequently cancelled the res.)

New Features for Model S and Model X

Model S and Model X are the quickest and safest cars in their class and now include new standard features at no additional cost. Smart Air Suspension provides better handling, efficiency and ride comfort with automatic location-based vehicle height adjustments. In addition, new Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over-the-air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from zero to 60 mph one second faster. We are also offering a new cream interior color.
Model X is now available in a new seven-seat configuration, with second and third row seats that fold flat for maximum cargo space.
I wish GM would spit in a new update to make my Volt drive like an ELR and allow the ICE to help the acceleration numbers.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This push to switch to Model S might be more of a sign of desperation - the company is bleeding money to get the 3 out, the continued delays are creating cash flow issues, so selling more Model S vehicles helps with cash flow. It would have been a nicer gesture to offer the S or X with a special $5k discount to switch up the order. Of course that would suck for anyone who just received their SorX (just invented a new term here, a SorX could be S or X owners who look down upon 3 owners as lesser Teslas and therefore, more of a commoner than the elite)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
It could be as some have said, Tesla is now competing with itself. Either way I've heard they have a bit of a temporary battery supply issue. I'd be looking to push the higher margin car no matter what.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be as some have said, Tesla is now competing with itself. Either way I've heard they have a bit of a temporary battery supply issue. I'd be looking to push the higher margin car no matter what.
They're probably at the point of no return where Model SandX sales will drop as people wait for the 3, and they're betting all-in on the 3. If they were smart, there would be another models in the works as well as a refresh on the S (same basic drivetrain, updated dash with one touchscreen in the middle, the new ductless vent design, and a fresh body style tweak like Cadillac did between CTS generations, where you can tell it's a Tesla, but you can also tell it's different. Rich folks who are bored with their Tesla's need something to "force" them to spend more money. Throw in some special edition with unique paint, wheels, or some theme in the way Ford has the Raptor, Challenger has the Hellcat, and BMW has the M. Finally, add an adjective beyond Ludicrous.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This push to switch to Model S might be more of a sign of desperation - the company is bleeding money to get the 3 out, the continued delays are creating cash flow issues, so selling more Model S vehicles helps with cash flow. It would have been a nicer gesture to offer the S or X with a special $5k discount to switch up the order. Of course that would suck for anyone who just received their SorX (just invented a new term here, a SorX could be S or X owners who look down upon 3 owners as lesser Teslas and therefore, more of a commoner than the elite)
It is called upselling.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
From what I've read lately the S sales aren't falling off, it's the deliveries. Some suggest the bottleneck is in the battery supply. I can't see that improving as the 3 assembly line becomes more automated - i.e. they produce 3s faster.

The gigafactory is far from complete, and constructing building additions (plus more battery production equipment) takes a bit longer than adding robots to assembly lines does.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I dunno. If I paid $75k for a car and found out they deliberately gimped it from the factory, then decided to go ahead and put the real tune in it, I would have mixed feelings.

·
Banned
260 Posts
What delays are you talking about? The model 3 is ahead of schedule.

I am shocked that a car company wants to upsell their clients to a more expensive car where they can make more money off of them. I think this is another first in the industry and Tesla is leading the charge. Next thing you know one of those outstanding chevy salespeople who actually work on commision will try to talk you out of that cruze you came into purchase and into a corvette instead. I wonder if that will make the news?

BTW Tesla employees don't work on commision which is another nice thing about going into a Tesla dealership.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Production is then expected to grow exponentially: 100 cars in August (anyone heard if any Model3s have been delivered this month, yet?), more than 1,500 by September, and then 20,000 per month by December....until Elon Musk alters the numbers down in the fall...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

I am shocked that a car company wants to upsell their clients to a more expensive car where they can make more money off of them. I think this is another first in the industry and Tesla is leading the charge. Next thing you know one of those outstanding chevy salespeople who actually work on commision will try to talk you out of that cruze you came into purchase and into a corvette instead. I wonder if that will make the news?

BTW Tesla employees don't work on commision which is another nice thing about going into a Tesla dealership.
The delay I speak of is the manufacturing hell that Elon mentioned. It's one thing to get a few handfuls of cars out. It's another to make 6 digits worth. And there is a big chasm where people are buying the 3 instead of the S. I understand they needed the cash flow from the reservation money, but then Model S sales are probably suffering as people wait to decide.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Every company I have ever worked for had a standing policy of not talking about upcoming products to the press. These two employees are taking a huge risk speaking out, even if they are trying to be noble to save other employees from injury. They should be talking to management, not the press.
That's how it goes with labor union negotiations. They hope to have the advantage of public pressure. In Kalifornistan it might just work. You may have noticed they protect the identities and numbers of their comrades.

You may have also noticed that it took public pressure to fix many of the issues they've already had with worker safety. I'm wondering if you read the whole article at this point.

Musk originally called injury allegations at the Fremont plant "disingenuous or outright false" but has since told employees to report injuries directly to him.

In the May blog post, Tesla called reports on Fremont safety issues a "misleading narrative based on anecdotes, not facts."

"It shouldn’t be like this," Galescu said. "It shouldn’t have to be a public thing of, 'Look, we’re working ourselves half to death, and when we do report our injuries, we get sh-- upon.'"
As I understand it they have been and do talk to management and have gone to the board of directors because they say.....

The Tesla Workers' Organizing Committee, which is leading the unionization effort, wrote a letter to Tesla’s board in July listing their demands.

The letter asks Tesla to inform employees of the risks associated with working at the factory, make safety audits readily available, allow workers to make decisions about equipment, and to allow Fremont workers to have a voice in the company's safety plan.

"We have raised these issues repeatedly, but they remain unresolved," the letter says. "Your guidance navigating them would be invaluable as we work to become the most profitable and productive auto company in the US."

....until Elon Musk alters the numbers down in the fall...:rolleyes:
My feeling of this is that Musk never alters the numbers down, it happens by force of nature. And sometimes people get axed (sorry - they "resign").

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The car is already stupid quick. Making it 1 second quicker just allows drivers to get into trouble than much faster. Most people have no rational need for a car that's that quick.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
... The model 3 is ahead of schedule. ...
Maybe. Very hard to tell.

What we have seen so far:

There was a "retail product release to employees" of 30 units. An investor and his family took "delivery" during the event.
Another large investor Instagramed? pics of his car. At least one Tesla upper manager lent his car for press drives.

Did I miss anything? There have been sightings for months, and they still continue at about the same levels. How many cars are on public roads, and who owes them is not well known. 1 VP, 2 $$$ Investors, ???.

We are still waiting for comprehensive testing by the press instead of test drives. This is normally done before public release, not after.

It is possible the cars are being produced as we speak and more than 30 Post Release cars are driving today in the hands of common employees. And it's possible the cars are not actually ready for mass production yet. Nobody is tipping their hand.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

So you are telling me they have delivered more than 100 Model 3s in August already???

Elon Musk's tweets on the Model3 schedule...
"Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3's on the 28th! Production grows exponentially, so Aug should be 100 cars and Sept above 1500."

"Looks like we can reach 20,000 Model 3 cars per month in Dec"

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The car is already stupid quick. Making it 1 second quicker just allows drivers to get into trouble than much faster. Most people have no rational need for a car that's that quick.
I completely agree. At one time I yearned for a CTS-V, but after driving one wickedly fast around a race track, I've decided I dont' want one. Too much temptation to do something stupid and hurt myself and others. The streets have too many obstacles pedestrians, potholes, etc.

·
Banned
260 Posts
The delay I speak of is the manufacturing hell that Elon mentioned. It's one thing to get a few handfuls of cars out. It's another to make 6 digits worth. And there is a big chasm where people are buying the 3 instead of the S. I understand they needed the cash flow from the reservation money, but then Model S sales are probably suffering as people wait to decide.
Ok let me count the ways that you assume wrong. First the Model S sales are up and not suffering at all. Second Elon is well aware of the manufacturing hell that is why he said it and then he still proceeded to give us the numbers that we are going off. As for the cash flow from the reservations half a Billion doesn't hurt but it doesn't even come close to covering the cost of getting the largest factory in the world up and running to produce batteries followed by getting the largest car manufacturing facility in the western hemisphere up and running to produce Model 3.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts