GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you didn't catch this on PBS, it's available now on Netflix. It's an excellent show explaining in simple terms everything you need to know about the lithium ion batteries that power our vehicles. They show the manufacturing process and an overview of many different types of batteries that are being developed in the lab. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
There's a whole pile of good Nova shows on Netflix lately. I watched this one the other day.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I referenced this show a while back in another thread. Although batteries have been around for centuries (even a thousand and more years as shown in some archeological sites) the development of the battery has really just begun.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
And I bet it's all about 10 years out. ;)

I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I referenced this show a while back in another thread. Although batteries have been around for centuries (even a thousand and more years as shown in some archeological sites) the development of the battery has really just begun.
The hypothesis of those "Baghdad batteries" being actually used as batteries or for electroplating has not been proven and most scientists would refute those claims. The development of the first real batteries was started in 1790.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't forget Thomas Edison promising his own "super battery" around 1919.... never really panned out. *sigh*

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Don't forget Thomas Edison promising his own "super battery" around 1919.... never really panned out. *sigh*
He was too busy toasting elephants, showing the evils of AC current.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The Science of batteries had to wait for a country to use zinc and copper coins :)

Thomas Edison is getting a lot of negative press these days but read about his first patented invention a vote recorder for use by legislative. he was then about 22.

Then about his statement of " never invent something no one wants "
---------------------
I bet I have over 100 devices in my home that each have to change AC to DC mostly to 12 V DC

Then there are the 1KW computer power supplies

We have reached the point that we need DC outlets again .
----------------------

I you have to keep up with Solar NEC the DC code section is getting massive.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yeah it WAS a good program. Not all batteries are batteries but energy storage devices it seems.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The Science of batteries had to wait for a country to use zinc and copper coins :)

Thomas Edison is getting a lot of negative press these days but read about his first patented invention a vote recorder for use by legislative. he was then about 22.

Then about his statement of " never invent something no one wants "
---------------------
I bet I have over 100 devices in my home that each have to change AC to DC mostly to 12 V DC

Then there are the 1KW computer power supplies

We have reached the point that we need DC outlets again .
----------------------

I you have to keep up with Solar NEC the DC code section is getting massive.
Yes, we may find DC gets a revival, like the electric vehicle of the early 1900s was revived in the late 90s/early 00s (and became what we drive today).

Much like the ICE is largely becoming obsolete for personal transportation as time goes on (it will still have niche uses, but electric vehicles are capable of covering more and more people each year).
AC electricity is also becoming obsolete. It will still have niche uses (very high power loads - heating, cooking, etc)
But with cheap solar making local generation possible in DC, it makes more sense to have "native" DC circuits for the day-to-day components of the home, and AC power for the high voltage/high power loads, as AC voltage can more easily be transformed from high to low and vice versa.

The only reason AC won was because of large centralized electricity generation - AC losses were lower over long distances by more efficiently increasing the voltage and decreasing it at the end points.
If you take away those long distances and generate power locally and store it locally, Edison was right. But it took an extra 100+ years for it to be viable for everyone to use DC in their home. AC and hydroelectric generation was available then, so it won out.
Back then they didn't have all the digital devices we have now, that all use DC. Much of their electricity was strictly for light and heat - which run on AC just fine.

·
Administrator
20,458 Posts
Very encouraging news if true and assuming the only downside is 10% higher price. There may be other cons they are not talking about as usually batteries are a series of trade-offs.

One quibble with the article: comparing a current car battery warranty to CATL's lifespan claim is a bit disingenuous unless those who end up using the battery offer a warranty that equals CATL's claim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts