GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have followed the sad, sad saga of my brand new 2018 Volt Premier with the keyfob issues, here's where things stand today. I promise to keep it short this time.

Brief history: My new Volt has had keyfob and 12v battery issues from the day I took delivery. The car has been back to the dealership three times, and is still there today.

The truthy part: The car had this problem before it was ever sold to me. That's right, there were three warranty attempts to repair the keyfob/battery issue before the car was delivered.

Here's the history (with thanks to Capital Chevrolet in Austin for the warranty repair history!):

3/2/2018 - Pre-Delivery Inspection
3/31/2018 - Keyless entry control module replacement
5/8/2018 - Paid for the car
5/10/2018 - Keyless entry control module replacement
5/14/2018 - Volt battery exchange - SNT (Not sure what this is - the 12v battery or the traction battery?)
5/18/2018 - Car shipped to me
5/22/2018 - Car arrives, keyfobs don't work
6/11 through today - In and out of the shop three times - 12v battery replaced, another receiver tried, 21 days without the car and counting

Note that I paid for the car on 5/8/2018, and had been having regular conversations with the sales person at the dealership for a week at that point. None of the warranty work was ever mentioned. It's my understanding that dealers are not required to reveal any repairs, other than those for major accident damage, prior to the sale, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Bottom line is, I was sold a lemon. I suspect the dealer - or at least the service department at the dealer - knew it. There's nothing I can do now other than exercise my legal rights, which I pan to do.

Sad, sad way to treat a customer. GM should be ashamed for making me jump through hoops for a brand new car that was never right from the day it left the factory.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The dealers list the warranty work, or they won't get paid, and they won't know what they've done.

Sorry to hear about that. I wonder if there is an RFI issue? Those are very hard to diagnose by a mechanic.

If they've replaced everything twice, it's not hardware that can be easily tested.

If it only happens when you have other electronics present in the area of the car, something is sending illegally strong radio wave.

Example: Some garage doors won't open reliably if you have LED lights in the garage. It's the light bulb exceeding it's allowed RFI.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Another similar but different example:

Some aftermarket stereos and alarms systems will stop me from custom programming cars and trucks. They won't STFU on the CANBus to allow clean communications.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Have you tried escalating the issue within GM? They should be replacing the car. I hope you don’t have to resort to a lemon claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a case open with GM escalation for four weeks. We traded voice messages twice in that time, both times during the day when I couldn't answer the call. They advisor leaves a message to call back, which I've done, but I haven't heard anything from her in two weeks. Whenever I call I get voice mail.

I get the distinct impression GM simply isn't interested in speaking to me; they could easily contact me by email if they were serious about my issue. They can see the warranty history on the car and it's obvious I've been sold a defective product, yet I get zero support from GM to make this right.

·
Super Moderator
6,312 Posts
That's right, there were three warranty attempts to repair the keyfob/battery issue before the car was delivered.
They can see the warranty history on the car and it's obvious I've been sold a defective product, yet I get zero support from GM to make this right.
That is simply awful behavior that they intentionally sold you a car with known problems.

Raise some cane. Email, twitter, FB, etc.

Chevrolet Customer Care Team:
(800) 222-1020
Chevrolet Customer Care Hours:
Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
Closed on Saturday and Sunday.

[email protected]
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric
http://https://www.facebook.com/chevroletelectric

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've been patient for over a month, but knowing the history on the car now and seeing how little help I'm getting from GM for such an obviously defective car, my patience is over. Come Monday it's "Hulk" time.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
663 Posts
I have found that using Facebook and Twitter works well when dealing with large companies ( have not needed to do that with GM). Airing dirty laundry in front of their followers usually gets them moving really fast to resolve an issue. Last thing they want is some bad press going viral.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Don’t worry too much, it will become a lemon buyback.

Then move on, I have experienced dealers misbehaving with all brands represented

Painful since they are entrenched and won’t budge but keep bitching and trying different venues
Then start the buyback process

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Texx, I'm on my third Volt since 2012 (also 2015 and 2018). I've found GM to be extremely proactive in supporting these cars. I'd really try harder with GM customer relations. Keep elevating the issue beyond the person who first answers the phone. Stay on it. They'll give you a new car. In my case, I was being severely ripped off early on (2012) by a GM affiliated service company SPX. They wanted $1,800 dollars to install a 230 volt charger which was provided free of charge as part of a smart charger program to track electricity use with EV's . When I elevated the issue, GM sent out their head of infrastructure on the West Coast to make sure the contractor stopped screwing with me. They even paid for the installation. He stood there and watched and didn't leave until I was happy. And BTW, I've had zero issues with my 3 Volts, so keep the faith!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I followed the prior thread on this. The problem still remains unfixed after more time and effort have expired.
In the prior thread it sounded like there was something draining the 12 V battery on the car.
I owned a prior vehicle (purchased new) with a similar problem in that if the vehicle sat for more than a couple of days undriven, the 12 V would be drained to the point it wouldn't start. It turned out to be a visor vanity light that wasn't turning off (leaving the 12V battery severely depleted where charging while running it wasn't keeping up). But you couldn't see the light was on because the vanity cover was closed.

I would suspect on Texx's car that it is a single device acting up like in my case. Let's just say for example that it was something as simple as a vanity light that wasn't turning off, but the car is totally fine other than that. Seems strange to me that a car, perfectly fine, other than that sort of thing, could become a lemon. I guess if this were the case I would put the blame on GM service for not fixing it.

Just to be clear, aside from the technical discussion about what might be wrong, I would raise some hell too. They need to know you are at the end of your rope and your expectations.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think if you escalate until you get satisfaction you will. You just got a weird one and need another. I have two 16s. Both have been trouble free.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Note that I paid for the car on 5/8/2018, and had been having regular conversations with the sales person at the dealership for a week at that point. None of the warranty work was ever mentioned. It's my understanding that dealers are not required to reveal any repairs, other than those for major accident damage, prior to the sale, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Unbelievable.

The one thing I hope comes out of the Tesla War is the elimination of these dealerships. I wonder how the OEM would have handled this if they had the responsibility?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Unbelievable.

The one thing I hope comes out of the Tesla War is the elimination of these dealerships. I wonder how the OEM would have handled this if they had the responsibility?
Go on to the Tesla boards and read. Things are not good. 3 months for a repair is very common.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have found that using Facebook and Twitter works well when dealing with large companies ( have not needed to do that with GM). Airing dirty laundry in front of their followers usually gets them moving really fast to resolve an issue. Last thing they want is some bad press going viral.
I don’t necessarily think this is true. Having worked in contact center operations for fifteen years, social media is just too new and most major brands haven’t figured out an outsourcing strategy for it yet. Thus the people manning the response are normally employees of the company and not contractors (or worse, subcontractors.)

Calling, you almost always go to a contractor and have to raise hell to get to an actual employee. AT&T is a prime example... they have several layers of contractors manning their phone and email channels, but social media still goes straight to an at&t employee.

Good luck with the Volt. Super sorry to hear... maybe you can haggle a 19 with fast charging out of the deal. :)

TJ

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would suspect on Texx's car that it is a single device acting up like in my case. Let's just say for example that it was something as simple as a vanity light that wasn't turning off, but the car is totally fine other than that. Seems strange to me that a car, perfectly fine, other than that sort of thing, could become a lemon. I guess if this were the case I would put the blame on GM service for not fixing it.
Right. It could very well be just one small part causing the issue but in the end, if GM can't find and fix it, it's still a lemon! GM should have all the equipment they need to test (and locate) a parasitic draw on the battery. My intermittent "fob not recognized" problem ended up being my phone too close to the fob. Once I switched my fob to the pocket on the other side of my body, I've not had a problem since. Be that as it may, I think Texx has been more patient than I would have ever been. I've not had any real problem with my 2017 yet but it's sad to see that kind of service. I guess I should be happy that I seem to have a dealer that is very Volt/Bolt savvy. I drive 60 miles one way just to get mine serviced when I have a Chevy dealer about 9 miles from my house. Not worth it to me to save a couple hours driving time when I don't know anything about the local dealer.

Mike

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don’t necessarily think this is true. Having worked in contact center operations for fifteen years, social media is just too new and most major brands haven’t figured out an outsourcing strategy for it yet. Thus the people manning the response are normally employees of the company and not contractors (or worse, subcontractors.)

Calling, you almost always go to a contractor and have to raise hell to get to an actual employee. AT&T is a prime example... they have several layers of contractors manning their phone and email channels, but social media still goes straight to an at&t employee.

Good luck with the Volt. Super sorry to hear... maybe you can haggle a 19 with fast charging out of the deal. :)

TJ

AT&T is the worst. A month ago, all I wanted to do was migrate my phone number off of my parents' shared family plan to my own AT&T prepaid plan. I called three times, and was basically told they couldn't do that because post-paid and pre-paid were managed by separate phone reps, but to visit an AT&T store to get it done within half an hour. I went to an AT&T store nearby and after 45 minutes of attempts to get through AT&Ts account management site, I was told they couldn't do it because they were only an "AT&T authorized retailer" and that an AT&T store would have better "back-end access to the account" to effectuate this kind of change. At this point I decided to look at other options, mostly out of frustration that I couldn't find someone to help me effectuate my stated desire to continuing to give my money to their company.

I did 5 minutes of online research, bought a pre-paid Mint Mobile SIM, and was able to migrate my number with one 5 minute phone call from the comfort of my home.

Sorry your Volt has been so tough. I would suggest escalating this issue within GM rather than continuing to try to negotiate with the dealer. I called the Chevrolet customer care center regarding minor but confusing issues I had with my Volt's warranty status through OnStar and they were very accommodating in scheduling return calls after work.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I learned the hard way: Do not ever go to ANY cellular store that is not actually a company owned store. We had a similar terrible experience with a Verizon "authorized retailer" and will never go to anything but a corporate store again.

I went to an AT&T store nearby and after 45 minutes of attempts to get through AT&Ts account management site, I was told they couldn't do it because they were only an "AT&T authorized retailer"

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It doesn't take much to drain a 12V battery over a number of days. My battery was going dead on my '91 Integra if left for 3 days or more. Using the 10A scale on my meter I found there was a .3 amp drain on the battery and didn't know where it was coming from, it's pretty basic with only a simple circuit board controlling accessories. Long story short, I had sprayed some liquid graphite into the ignition switch to ease turning the key. It was the graphite providing a short circuit even in the off position (can't remember how I got to that conclusion). I flushed it out with repeated silicone spray and the problem went away never to return. Lesson learned what works in old cars might not in new(er). Heaven only knows (and maybe a few GM technicians) what might be draining a 12V battery in a Volt.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts