GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a very random question. On my new 2012 Volt I have these small off-white clips on the edge of each of my doors. The front doors each have two, I'm trying to figure out what these are for and why they are there? I removed one of them from the front passenger door and it has some very sticky stuff holding it on that I had to work off with some water and a soft towel.

I have a picture below that I took of one of the clip / door guards that I took with my phone. I appreciate the help on this random question.

Door Edge Guard?

·
8,680 Posts
It's an assembly/shipping protection piece. It was supposed to be pulled off during the dealer's PDI. They missed a couple on mine, too.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'd ask the dealer what they use. Never could figure out the best solution to use for that stuff. I have edge guards. Really sticky stuff. Collects dirt fast if left on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
3M Adhesive Remover works excellent to remove this "stuff" and it is an excellent all-around cleaner. You will definitely find it at an automotive paint store and you may find it at a good automotive parts store.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up taking these things off today and using Goo Gone Automotive to remove the sticky stuff. It worked like a charm, I just removed the clips, then applied the Goo Gone to a towel and rubbed the sticky stuff right off. I have included pictures below of the stuff I used in case anyone needs it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I was curious, so I googled - apparently both the "automotive" version and the normal version are safe for cars. Lucky for me, since I already have a bottle of normal Goo Gone, though I don't know if I will actually take off my remaining edge guards (they're only four around the trunk's edge).

Thanks for the thread - I've been curious for a while too, but I haven't had the chance to take pictures, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have black edge guard strips running the entire length of each door. Anyone else have this style? Mine is a 2012, delivered from Stingray.

They dont look terrible, but I'm about ready to yank them off. Looks like I need to score a bottle of adhesive remover (and some elbow grease) first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts