GM Volt Forum banner

Not sure what I did but came out to find windows down and car unlocked

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  llninja 
#1 ·
I've got my '17 Volt set so that the doors automatically lock when I move more than 3 ft. away from the car...This has been great for the month I've had the car, but last night I was in a restaurant and went out to find the car unlocked with all the windows down. Maybe I somehow accidentally had a button pushed in my pocket on the FOB? First time this has happened and I know it's one option for letting hot air out of the vehicle before you get to it isn't it?

#2 ·
You did something with the fob that involved something pressing on the unlock button for several seconds. The usual culprit is either sitting on your keys with a metal key pressed up against the button face, or a small child playing with it.

#3 ·
I've got my '17 Volt set so that the doors automatically lock when I move more than 3 ft. away from the car...
That's not the way it works, it's not based on keyfob proximity. The setting you are referring to causes the car to lock 8 seconds after you close the last door. It's based on time.

Hellsop has already provided the most likely scenario answering your question.

#4 ·
Under settings you can turn off the option to lower the windows using the keyfob. That way if you inadvertently press and hold the Unlock button on the keyfob the worst that will happen is the Volt will unlock. I don't know if the Volt will automatically re-lock the doors after a set number of seconds if you don't open a door the way some vehicles (Toyotas for example) are known to do.

#6 ·
I've found that even putting the fob on a key ring with keys and putting that in your pocket (along with space required for the 5th appendage and jewels) can sometimes cause me to inadvertently press and hold the fob. So I actually carry the fob without a keyring and have a separate set of keys for office/home keys. Given the GM scare from a few years ago where a swinging overloaded key ring could cause the ignition to shut off, it seemed to be a good idea to separate the keys from the fob for my other cars. The recall notice for the CTS was as simple as adding a second loop to the key ring so there are more articulation points in the swing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.