GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not visit this site very much. I should have though because now I see how much I can learn about my 2012 Volt. I love my Volt. I drive 1.6 miles to work everyday. It is perfect for me. I rarely drive over 10 miles a day. Recently batteries have not been charging as they did 1 year ago. Before I was getting at least 42 Mi EV on each charge. Now I am getting 34 to 36 if I am lucky. Has anyone else had this experience? Also tire pressure sensors seem to have gone awry. I took it in to my Dealer because one of the tires was showing 6 lbs lower then the other three. They said they fixed the problem. Now that same tire is showing 6 lbs higher than all the others. The other three are coming up in my msgz as having low tire pressure. Send me any info I can take with me to the Dealer this month when it is time to have it inspected.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Are we talking miles driven, or Guess-o-meter miles?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I do not visit this site very much. I should have though because now I see how much I can learn about my 2012 Volt. I love my Volt. I drive 1.6 miles to work everyday. It is perfect for me. I rarely drive over 10 miles a day. Recently batteries have not been charging as they did 1 year ago. Before I was getting at least 42 Mi EV on each charge. Now I am getting 34 to 36 if I am lucky. Has anyone else had this experience? Also tire pressure sensors seem to have gone awry. I took it in to my Dealer because one of the tires was showing 6 lbs lower then the other three. They said they fixed the problem. Now that same tire is showing 6 lbs higher than all the others. The other three are coming up in my msgz as having low tire pressure. Send me any info I can take with me to the Dealer this month when it is time to have it inspected.
I think that you will be interested in this story (I think that it applies to you):

https://gm-volt.com/2013/02/26/a-tale-of-two-volts-the-summary/

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You could buy a $20 digital tire pressure gauge and check things for yourself.
Do you ever drive far enough to have the engine come on?
Start comparing that number and not what is displayed on the GOM.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Keep in mind that the “range” projection isn’t necessarily accurate. It’s heavily biased by your last driving profile — including a/c or heater use — and current conditions. The best measure of range is to actually see how far you can drive on battery. Take it for a drive and see how far you go.

As for the tire sensors (TPMS), have you cross-checked the sensor pressures against a hand-held pressure gauge?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
The miles estimation will get a little pessimistic if it hasn't been exercised. Tiny runs like this, day after day, do exactly this. Take a nice long wandering drive, get through a whole charge, it'll reset like magic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am a new Volt owner and it took me a while to figure out that the EV range is just a guestimate based on your recent driving. One morning my wife drove to our daughters house to do some babysitting. It's about 9 miles away, and much of it downhill. So she started the drive with 57 miles of range and ended at her destination with 61 miles of range. I didn't get it at first, but then I understood the estimate factor - No she didn't regen enough energy to make the difference, it's just because she was driving 35 mph tops on the back roads and a lot of downhill, so 9 miles later the Volt is saying, "if you keep driving like this you can drive 61 more miles" On the way back, more uphill and sometimes on the freeway doing freeway speeds, all that (estimated) range disappears.

Air Pressure in the tires does effect range. I've read some people using more than the recommended PSI in order to increase range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by golly that is probably what is the issue. I do not allow the battery to run down to allow the ICE kick in. I was told by my Volt Mechanic to plug it in every night irregardless of how much EV I used. I think that is what I will start doing. Makes perfectly good sense. Thank you jbakerjonathan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts