GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m a new Volt owner excited about my new to me 2014 Volt purchased just two weeks ago.
It’s a premium leather model with navi and has 37k miles on the clock.
I bought it from a dealer for $14,500. It had been formally leased and apparently driven mostly on battery due the total lifetime of 182 mpg average reported on the monitor.
I formatively drove a Lexus and feel that the Volt is a superior ride in comparison.
The pleasurable experience of driving by gas stations reminds me of the surprise thrill of a girlfriend springing for the check on date night.
However, I think there maybe trouble in paradise.
The issue is as follows:
When switching to generator mode after the car runs out of electrons there is a distinct oil burning odor that dissipates after about 10 minutes while driving. Upon further investigation when I first start the car and pop the hood, which then automatically turns on the generator, I noticed a small amount of smoke emanating from the area under the air filter. After five minutes the oil burning smoke and smell has dissipated and all is well.
The car needs to sit overnight to duplicate this experience.
The oil looks clean on the dipstick and is at the proper level and the oil cap appears to be secure.
I’m currently waiting for the DMV to send me my registration and pink so that I can have this issue investigated at the dealership. Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, I’m still in the learning stage of figuring out the best way to drive and care for this very interesting EV. . I love the car. Just can’t stand the smell. What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
My first thought is that they might have spilled some while changing the oil. If the level remains correct, it's not leaking or burning any (neither of which these cars are known to do)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I would take it to the Chevy dealer and have it checked out. If there is a problem with the generator it will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine did this for a little while when I first got it. It went away after about a month. I assumed they must have overfilled or spilled when they changed the oil before i bought it.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If you are handy, you could remove the engine cover and determine whether or not there is oil on the engine. A data point examined.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to remove the engine cover and discovered a small vein of oil below the oil cap.
The monitor says the oil has 30% life left. So the smell does not appears to be the result of a recent oil change.
My plan is to change out the O ring inside the cap. Thought I’d go to Harbor Freight and buy an assortment. I noticed that the dipstick also has two O rings that I might as well replace.
Does anyone know by chance the exact size of these O rings. Are they neoprene?
Are they commonly changed out?
Thank you for your very helpful responses.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Decided to remove the engine cover and discovered a small vein of oil below the oil cap.
The monitor says the oil has 30% life left. So the smell does not appears to be the result of a recent oil change.
My plan is to change out the O ring inside the cap. Thought I’d go to Harbor Freight and buy an assortment. I noticed that the dipstick also has two O rings that I might as well replace.
Does anyone know by chance the exact size of these O rings. Are they neoprene?
Are they commonly changed out?
Thank you for your very helpful responses.
I'd go to the Parts Department at the dealer and buy a new cap - after first asking the Service Writer if the cap could be covered under a customer satisfaction warranty (you never know 8^). Check the mating surface on the engine block for nicks.

If the dip stick feels like there is some resistance to being pushed in all the way, the o-rings are still doing their job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A brief follow up...the culprit was the oil filler cap.
Apparently this infrequent issue has been addressed with a new replacement cap part number 25192632.
The old cap part number is 55586790.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
A brief follow up...the culprit was the oil filler cap.
Apparently this infrequent issue has been addressed with a new replacement cap part number 25192632.
The old cap part number is 55586790.
Thank you for the followup and part number!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts