GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on reading through here, most are getting 4-6K off MSRP, or even more. (I'm looking for a Premier)

I'm in NY and best I've gotten is $3,400 off. Even called a dealer that has 3 leftover 2017s, and they wouldn't come down further than $1,800 off!. Told me to take the 2018 offer of $3,400.

Is the market changing, is NY just not as good CA, or am I a terrible negotiator?

Any idea what December incentives will look like?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I recently bought a 2018 Volt Premier out of state (after negotiating with many dealers around the country via email) and had it shipped to me - the savings were much more than the shipping cost.

For some reason, several Maryland dealerships had/matched the best prices for me. Perhaps they are close enough to you to even avoid the need to ship?

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Likely has nothing to do with your negotiating skills. Pricing on new cars is never transparent and always nuts. My sense is that prices have gone up recently. And some people may hit the dealer at just the right time -- for example if they are a few cars away from a bonus on every car they sell -- which results in a super deal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Based on reading through here, most are getting 4-6K off MSRP, or even more. (I'm looking for a Premier)

I'm in NY and best I've gotten is $3,400 off. Even called a dealer that has 3 leftover 2017s, and they wouldn't come down further than $1,800 off!. Told me to take the 2018 offer of $3,400.

Is the market changing, is NY just not as good CA, or am I a terrible negotiator?

Any idea what December incentives will look like?
I am very jealous of the deals off MSRP you guys are getting in the USA. In Canada we get zero off MSRP. There is no $700 Costco deal. Most we will get is $500 off MSRP if you sign up for a GM Visa card...dealers are only really giving a couple extra free oil changes or tinted windows...otherwise you pay MSRP. Supply of Volts is 0-2 per dealer, if that. They do come in on a semi regular basis but that is it. They don't just sit on the lots for very long, they are sold very quickly. Unlike the Cruze for example for which any medium or large size dealer may have 10-30 Cruze's in stock.

It's even worse for the Bolt. I have never seen one actually on the lot at any Chevrolet dealer in Canada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently bought a 2018 Volt Premier out of state (after negotiating with many dealers around the country via email) and had it shipped to me - the savings were much more than the shipping cost.

For some reason, several Maryland dealerships had/matched the best prices for me. Perhaps they are close enough to you to even avoid the need to ship?

Good luck!
There is also a 1700 rebate in NY so out of state deal would have to cover shipping and the rebate. MD is probably close enough for a super deal, and I'll take a look.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've bought two Volts--a 2013 Gen 1 and a 2017 Gen 2. For both, I timed it just as the newer year model was coming out.

With the 2013, I got an absolutely insane deal -- 14K off MSRP. There was also greater supply and more dealers willing to move.

With the 2017, there was lower supply and much, much less willingness to deal. I ultimately got about 15% off, but this was after a few other strong attempts at other dealerships--with even worse results.

My suspicion (could be wrong) is that Gen 1 always sold at a loss so dealers just unloaded them as quickly as possible for whatever they could get. Now, maybe dealers realize a small profit off Gen 2 and are less willing to move down.

I have no rationale for this. Of course, maybe GM is simply offering less manufacturer-to-dealer incentives right now. And maybe I just got darn lucky on the Gen 1.

It's the last day of the month, so you might as well give it a little time now to see what kind of end-of-the-year incentives start showing up now.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The real key to purchasing a car is what you will pay, not what they will sell you one for. Search far and wide. There is a difference in those two concepts and they are major differences. :)

"I will purchase for" is amazing...

·
Registered
14 Posts
BJS,

You just need to know where to look.

I just picked up a new 2017 Premier with 30 miles on it, all options including ACC for $29,488. It was marketed as used, but had never been titled. It came with the Certificate of Origin so the tax credit will apply.

Here is one in IL with 595 miles, has ACC for $29,980

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/719548503/overview/

Here's one closer to home in PA, but no ACC for $30,475

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/719279345/overview/

TIA

Homer

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
BJS,

You just need to know where to look.

I just picked up a new 2017 Premier with 30 miles on it, all options including ACC for $29,488. It was marketed as used, but had never been titled. It came with the Certificate of Origin so the tax credit will apply.

Here is one in IL with 595 miles, has ACC for $29,980

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/719548503/overview/

Here's one closer to home in PA, but no ACC for $30,475

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/719279345/overview/

TIA

Homer
I've investigated similar situations like this before and found the tax credit did not always apply, so be careful. Make sure they list the car as "new" on the buy order. Sometimes these are "manufacturer vehicles" that were sold then bought back at some point. If so, the VIN might already be tied to a tax credit. Autocheck history shows one vehicle was sold at auction, so I would be concerned someone else claimed the tax credit on the VIN. They state the "balance of warranty" remaining, which means an earlier in-service date.

For buying any Volt, you definitely want the CO at a minimum, but having the sales slips that clearly shows a "new" vehicle will help in case of an audit. I would also ask why the dealership is advertising the car as "used" which means IRS can claim you have been tipped off that the car does not qualify for the tax credit.

Get everything you need in writing so you have recourse. It's a $7500 mistake otherwise...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I second the Maryland dealer idea. Not sure why but they seem willing and able to deal. As per earlier posts I bought out of state. Try Ourisman in Rockville and ask for Cammeron, tell him you are after a volt and what can he do for you. YMMV, but it worked out pretty happily for us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts