GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First sorry for my english :)
I have a problem with the car, i.e. it does not turn on the car (there is no "Ready")
The BECM module and battery were removed.
I programmed the SPS module HPCM2 and BECM.
Charging the car works but "Ready" does not turn on.
The errors that are always there are:
U184B,U184C,U184D,U184E,U183E,U0140,U0151,U0155,U0184.

Please Help

· Registered
602 Posts
Those codes look like you have a cut main cable in the harness or a key control module disconnected. The first thing I would check are the connections to the Body Control Module (BCM), which is giving you the U0140 code. Some of the other codes could be related to not being able to communicate to the BCM.

Why did you work on the BECM and battery? Did you change them or did you have some other problem you were working on? Have you had this car a long time?

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
moved to Problems...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those codes look like you have a cut main cable in the harness or a key control module disconnected. The first thing I would check are the connections to the Body Control Module (BCM), which is giving you the U0140 code. Some of the other codes could be related to not being able to communicate to the BCM.

Why did you work on the BECM and battery? Did you change them or did you have some other problem you were working on? Have you had this car a long time?
I pulled out BECM because it was able to turn off the car while driving. He stayed a little and it was possible to go again. Now, after pulling out the BECM, inserting and programming it does not start "not ready"

· Registered
2011 Highlander Hybrid, 2017 Volt Premier
141 Posts
I guess you mean you had a known problem with BECM. Did you follow the proscribed order of attaching the connectors of the BECM? There's one in the SI:
Font Rectangle Technology Circuit component Urban design

Fig. 193: Battery Energy Control Module Connector Reconnection Sequence (1 Of 2) Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY

CAUTION: The battery energy control modules internal cell balancing circuitry is powered by the cell group voltage sense circuits. In order to prevent an unrecoverable, unbalanced Hybrid/EV battery section or internal control module damage, always take the following actions:
1. Disconnect ALL of the battery energy control module connectors prior to disconnecting any Hybrid/EV battery section connector.
2. Reconnect all the Hybrid/EV battery section connectors prior to reconnecting the battery energy control module connectors.
3. Disconnect and reconnect the battery energy control module connectors ONLY in the sequence provided in Repair Instructions.
4. Connect the connectors in the sequence shown @ Battery Energy Control Module
Naval architecture Engineering Auto part Technology Font

Fig. 194: Battery Energy Control Module Connector Reconnection Sequence (2 Of 2) Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY

Also, sometimes the fuses inside the cables, which are attached to the BECM, could be broken...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess you mean you had a known problem with BECM. Did you follow the proscribed order of attaching the connectors of the BECM? There's one in the SI:
View attachment 175914
Fig. 193: Battery Energy Control Module Connector Reconnection Sequence (1 Of 2) Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY

CAUTION: The battery energy control modules internal cell balancing circuitry is powered by the cell group voltage sense circuits. In order to prevent an unrecoverable, unbalanced Hybrid/EV battery section or internal control module damage, always take the following actions:
1. Disconnect ALL of the battery energy control module connectors prior to disconnecting any Hybrid/EV battery section connector.
2. Reconnect all the Hybrid/EV battery section connectors prior to reconnecting the battery energy control module connectors.
3. Disconnect and reconnect the battery energy control module connectors ONLY in the sequence provided in Repair Instructions.
4. Connect the connectors in the sequence shown @ Battery Energy Control Module
View attachment 175915
Fig. 194: Battery Energy Control Module Connector Reconnection Sequence (2 Of 2) Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY

Also, sometimes the fuses inside the cables, which are attached to the BECM, could be broken...
Thank you very much for these tips.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello everyone, I will describe the continuation of my problems in the Chevy Volt 2. The car is still not running, no "Ready". I programmed the HPCM2, BECM, BCM module. Theoretically, they program normally, but the car is still standing. The battery is charging normally (the green light is blinking). The only thing I noticed is after programming the BECm mod (K16) with the current value option there is a description - unrecognized calibration (even after several programming), photo attached - maybe this is the cause of the failure? It keeps showing the errors I described in the first post. Do you have any repair suggestions? please help.

Attachments

· Registered
141 Posts
You'd get yourself a service manual here.
According to it, first 5 errors indicate some problems with low-speed CAN bus. The latter 3 errors indicate comm problems with the same modules, so I guess they're secondary. U0140 - comm problem with BECM.

I'd disconnect BECM, clear codes and test if they come back. If no codes appear, connect BECM and recheck. If codes reappear it means the BECM has some faulty comm lines.

P. S. Keep in mind, that my suggestions are pure theory and speculations of a man, who has some knowledge of electronics, but no more. I have no special experience with GM car modules programming...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'd get yourself a service manual here.
According to it, first 5 errors indicate some problems with low-speed CAN bus. The latter 3 errors indicate comm problems with the same modules, so I guess they're secondary. U0140 - comm problem with BECM.

I'd disconnect BECM, clear codes and test if they come back. If no codes appear, connect BECM and recheck. If codes reappear it means the BECM has some faulty comm lines.

P. S. Keep in mind, that my suggestions are pure theory and speculations of a man, who has some knowledge of electronics, but no more. I have no special experience with GM car modules programming...
Error u0140 is BECM? or rather BCM (Body control module)?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello everyone, I will describe the continuation of my problems in the Chevy Volt 2. The car is still not running, no "Ready". I programmed the HPCM2, BECM, BCM module. Theoretically, they program normally, but the car is still standing. The battery is charging normally (the green light is blinking). The only thing I noticed is after programming the BECm mod (K16) with the current value option there is a description - unrecognized calibration (even after several programming), photo attached - maybe this is the cause of the failure? It keeps showing the errors I described in the first post. Do you have any repair suggestions? please help.
Any ideas what to do to start the car? please help.

· Registered
141 Posts
Error u0140 is BECM? or rather BCM (Body control module)?
My mistake. Yep, BCM.

I guess you won't find the answers here, because US owners take their cars to the dealers, as the Voltec warranty is still available for Gen2.

You'd try asking on European forums, as people there have to deal with their cars on their own, thus having more technical experience

· Registered
141 Posts
This BCM problem would make such a problem (not "READY")?
No, I don't think so. It's just another module, which can't communicate with the ECU (?). But the overall comms error is for sure the cause of your problem. You need to find out why there's no comm on the low-speed CAN-bus. Maybe something is pulling the lines to ground.

Measure the resistance between CAN-bus wires and the ground while the 12V battery is disconnected.

As you said you took the BECM out, I'd suspect it preventing the comms. So, I suggested disconnecting it.

But maybe you've done something else to the car - look for mistakes during assembling, especially the blocks listed as having no comms.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I don't think so. It's just another module, which can't communicate with the ECU (?). But the overall comms error is for sure the cause of your problem. You need to find out why there's no comm on the low-speed CAN-bus. Maybe something is pulling the lines to ground.

Measure the resistance between CAN-bus wires and the ground while the 12V battery is disconnected.

As you said you took the BECM out, I'd suspect it preventing the comms. So, I suggested disconnecting it.

But maybe you've done something else to the car - look for mistakes during assembling, especially the blocks listed as having no comms.
and programming the K16 module (BECM) is ok? see thread #7 ( photo)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Witam wszystkich, opiszę kontynuację moich problemów w Chevy Volt 2. Samochód nadal nie działa, nie ma "Ready". Zaprogramowałem moduł HPCM2, BECM, BCM. Teoretycznie programują normalnie, ale samochód nadal stoi. Bateria ładuje się normalnie (zielona kontrolka). Jedyne co zauważyłem to po zaprogramowaniu moda BECm (K16) z opcją aktualnej wartości jest opis - nierozpoznana kalibracja (nawet po kilku programowaniach), załączone zdjęcie - może to jest przyczyną awarii? Ciągle pokazuje błędy, które opisałem w pierwszym poście. Czy masz jakieś sugestie naprawcze? Proszę o pomoc.
????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts