GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In past years when I’ve done a remote start during cold weather to precondition my Gen 1 Volt while plugged in to my L2 EVSE, it would fully recharge the battery if given enough time to do so, such that when I started the car the energy screen would show “0.0 kWh used”. This would have been with the "Delayed (Departure Time)" charge mode setting that I used up until recently.

But this winter each time I’ve done a remote start while plugged in, the car only pulls power from the EVSE during the 10-minute period of the remote start. Since the 3.3kW charger can’t keep up with the cabin heater, I’m left with a “0.4 kWh used” on the energy screen when I start the car, no matter how long I wait for it to recharge. I have a whole house energy meter, so I can see that the car is only pulling power from the wall for 10 minutes and no longer.

So I’m wondering what might be going on here. My first thought was that it might be related to the charge mode settings. This year I’m using the “Delayed (Rate and Departure Time)” charge mode setting, but I also have it set to allow charging even during peak hours, which I thought should allow it to fully recharge no matter the time of day.

**As a test, I also tried changing the charge mode setting back to “Departure Time” only, and that didn't change this behavior.**

Does anyone know what the issues is here? Or is this normal and I’m just misremembering how it behaved in past years?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It generally respects your TOU/delayed setting except when actively 'on' (which includes remote start, or just sitting in the driveway plugged in and press power on).

So you will see it draw power for 10 minutes and then nothing.
If I want a remote start + full charge, I hit remote start on the fob, then hit the charge-now button as well.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It generally respects your TOU/delayed setting except when actively 'on' (which includes remote start, or just sitting in the driveway plugged in and press power on).

So you will see it draw power for 10 minutes and then nothing.
If I want a remote start + full charge, I hit remote start on the fob, then hit the charge-now button as well.
What's the "charge-now button"?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
For 14+ there is no electronic release on charge door - the plug symbol button on the fob is 'charge now'.
It might do the same on 13 if plugged in already, give it a try.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried doing a remote start in the other 2 charge modes, "Immediately upon plug in" and "Delayed based on Departure Time", and under both of those settings the Volt continues to fully recharge after the end of the 10-minute remote start. So it does appear that the behavior of not fully recharging after a remote start / precondition is unique to the "Delayed based on Electric Rate and Departure Time" charge mode, even if you have it set to allow charging during peak hours.

That's pretty lame, and doesn't make much logical sense IMO. With these settings I would expect it to behave no differently than with "Delayed based on Departure Time". Oh well. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts