GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a my 2013 with just over 100k on the odo. I am not able to charge my volt but I am not getting any messages stating why. Here is what I have tried so far:
- Replaced the charge port. the old one had the crack with possible corrosion on the back. Once replaced though no change in behavior.
- Tried different chargers. Level 2 and the OEM 120v charger both get the same results. I plug in get the orange light then it goes out. No green light, no honk, just a message stating unable to charge.
- Topped off my coolant levels which only one of those were low and I suspect this is due to the recent battery swap they did on the #3 section of the main traction battery. If it was the low fluid I should get a "service high voltage system" error with possibly a CEL.
- I tried reading for error codes but there is nothing found.

The crazy thing is this started just after my ODO was over by 21 miles out of warranty. I called the dealer and they wanted $135 an hour to troubleshoot this issue so I tried doing a little leg work before I took it to them. Only thing now is my 88 mile commute using gas is going to add up quick if I don't have the dealer to fix this.

Any other suggestions before I drop it off?

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Sounds like the pilot signal is not being received. Did you try a public charger?

If you have OnStar you could ask them for any codes. Or take it to a auto parts store that has a ODB2 code reader. Or buy one.

You could always try disconnecting the 12V battery and reconnecting it again. Long shot, but maybe the car is just confused.

·
1,027 Posts
Only time I see that error:

The car is still powered on.

Car doesn't like the voltage or the ground.

From what I know, the "not able to charge" is a semi latch error. If something triggers it it won't go away for a whole drive cycle. ( or pulling the 12v battery )

Have you tried charging with another L2 or taking your L1/120v portable cord and plugging into another outlet, or another location?

·
8,680 Posts
Only time I see that error:

The car is still powered on.

Car doesn't like the voltage or the ground.

From what I know, the "not able to charge" is a semi latch error. If something triggers it it won't go away for a whole drive cycle. ( or pulling the 12v battery )

Have you tried charging with another L2 or taking your L1/120v portable cord and plugging into another outlet, or another location?
If the car is still on, the light stays yellow.

How sure are we that the new charge port is fully connected and functional?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I forgot to mention that I have tried removing the 12 volt and ran all of the juice out of the main battery to see if that would "complete" the cycle but no luck there either. Also tried level 1 at another location at work.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Will MM mode add a charge to the manin battery ?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
As Cord has commented above, have you tried switching into Mountain Mode (while parked or while underway)? An unable-to-charge-from-the-wall, car throwing fault codes when I try to do so problem was reported in this forum at the end of August by someone who had purchased a salvaged 2011 Volt (https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?326063-2011-Volt-Not-Charging-Please-Help). He was able to use Mountain Mode to charge the battery, showing that the problem was in the wall to car connection, not within the car’s charging equipment under the hood.

Mountain Mode is designed to maintain an extra amount of battery buffer for use when driving up steep hills (for a Gen 1 Volt, that’s ~4 bars of power), and includes a "feature" that recharges the battery to the MM-maintained level if you don’t have time to stop and recharge before driving into the mountains. You could try to put some charge into your Volt using this feature.

If you switch your Gen 1 Volt into Mountain Mode (the Self Charging Chevy Volt youtube video shows it being done with a 2012 Volt while parked), and if this feature is still working on your Volt, the engine should start, it should then recharge your battery to that level in ~15 minutes, using ~0.36 gallons of gas (perhaps a tad more for a 2013 Volt), and then turn the engine off. If you then turn the car off and back on again, that battery power should be available for use (unless the problem you are having is not limited to recharging from the wall). That would show the battery is capable of being recharged.

·
1,027 Posts
If the car is still on, the light stays yellow.

How sure are we that the new charge port is fully connected and functional?
Yes, but if it's something like the shift lever sensor where the car doesn't think it is totally in park it won't let you charge either. try parking in neutral with the parking brake on and try to charge. sometimes it'll do the "shift to park" alert sometimes not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts