GM Volt Forum banner

Northeast temps with the Volt 2

2869 14
I'm from Michigan and I have the 2014 Volt and I'm very back and forth in getting the Bolt or the new Volt

My main question is I know how the weather affects my Volt I'm averaging around 42-45 electric miles right now.. Granted I don't believe in using heat I'm what you would call a "Polar Driver" putting a few layers on and getting the max out of my car... Then in the Spring/Summer/Fall I'm hitting close to 58 electric miles on a daily basis.

But overall what is everyone seeing in the cold Northeast temps or at least temps hitting around 30 the new Volt is just simply beautiful the Bolt is also grand looking and would serve me great to.

Right now I have drove the following if this helps with the answer

Total miles - 26,724
Total electric - 24,100
Total gas - 2,624

Thank you!!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Obviously can't comment on the Bolt, but I don't think I've gotten less than 50 miles in EV mode it all kinds of weather. Temps I've been driving in have been in the teens to the high fifties, very low 60's.

I live 50 miles south of Albany, NY if that gives you any bearing.

Best,
Rick

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info helps out since you are in the Northeast and getting hit with cold weather also!!

This morning it was 33deg I had 48 miles because of the warm weather over the weekend I drove with my fans on level 2 speed.

When the wife and kid are in the car I move it to ECO level 2 speed

· Registered
415 Posts
Thank you for the info helps out since you are in the Northeast and getting hit with cold weather also!!

This morning it was 33deg I had 48 miles because of the warm weather over the weekend I drove with my fans on level 2 speed.

When the wife and kid are in the car I move it to ECO level 2 speed
I should add that I am very, very stingy with the heat, so that can also be adding to the mileage I am getting. When I have someone in the car with me, I tend to use more heat.

Best,
Rick

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, we drive the same! I'm normally wrapped all up in extra layers my wife thinks I'm crazy but when I tell her how many miles I have compared to her.. "We have two Volts" she gets jealous.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
There's another thread where someone hit 73 miles on their guessometer, and some of us have chimed in. That thread might give you some help.

As for me, my Volt is only 6 weeks old, and I live in Maine. As long as I stay off the highway, I can easily achieve 4 miles/kWh, even when it was between 14F and 26F. Now that it's warmed up to 30F to 40F, 4.5 miles/kWh seems pretty much the norm. I'm very eager for Spring to come, to see if 5 miles/kWh is the norm.

· Registered
139 Posts
If it's below 40 or so and ERDTT doesn't kick in, I just run on charge sustaining. It is cheaper to run on gas in NH right now anyway, so it's both cheaper AND more comfortable. In the 40's or 50's I find the electric seats and steering wheel adequate, in which case the car gets a bit better than 3 m/kWh (my commute is about 2/3 on the freeway). It's still a bit more expensive than running on gas, but it's better for the environment and the price difference is small. It's been an extraordinarily warm winter here, so this actually accounts for most days so far. When really cold I just drive my Subaru.

· Registered
103 Posts
Important to mention - driving conditions and elevation changes play as much of a role (if not bigger) than temperature!
I'm sure nobody is getting 50+ consistently driving 70 mph highway. I cruise at 65mph in hilly CT and can just barely hit 50 on good days. On errand days when I get to drive back roads under 60mph then it's another story :).

· Registered
85 Posts
i'm in the boston area, and we've had some real extremes from below zero up to 60 degrees lately ... I'm seeing the 'guessometer' start at about 42 miles when it's very cold (my car is garaged, so I think that helps a bit) ... and on the 60 degree day the guessometer jumped to about 50 miles. I'm looking forward to spring and summer and getting those extra miles !

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm in the boston area, and we've had some real extremes from below zero up to 60 degrees lately ... I'm seeing the 'guessometer' start at about 42 miles when it's very cold (my car is garaged, so I think that helps a bit) ... and on the 60 degree day the guessometer jumped to about 50 miles. I'm looking forward to spring and summer and getting those extra miles !
WOW To be honest that's not that good... I have a 2014 Volt I don't use heat when I'm in the car I use the fan.... Like this morning I woke up to 48 miles and it's 23deg outside..

Like everyone says it's the way you drive what your condition is inside the cabin and outside been driving the Volt for 2 years now and have played the game. :)

· Registered
3,527 Posts
Hmm. When I've commuted in the Volt on cold days, using heat only to defrost, speeds mainly 45 to max 55, I'm getting high 30s. Highway driving max heat as my wife uses and it's high 20s. Undulating hills, about 200 ft variation for my commute, 300ft+ variation on the highway.

· Registered
147 Posts
Im in Boston too and not stingy with the heat but prefer wheel and seat heaters. At -9 was lucky to see 60 MPGe and when 50 degrees easily hit 120 MPGe. Cold air begins affecting range below 35 and driving in snow and slush does not help either in my experience.

· Registered
1,257 Posts
I usually get about 48 miles when it is cold here in DC area, with HVAC on. When warmer (60 or more) about 56. I use seat heaters and steering wheel heat, but when below 45 I do run the heat. It drops the range some but not excessively so. I will be interested to see what the car gets when it is 75 or 80. So far the range has been totally as advertised.

· Registered
125 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.