GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I've posted in another thread, I'm considering a Leaf but has serious concerns over battery life here in the DFW heat. I'm looking for info from any of you north Texas Leaf owners on how your battery is holding up after 12,18,24+ months and what your overall impression of the car is.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As I posted in the other thread, I've decided to pass on the Leaf I was considering but I am still curious to hear about battery life reports from around here.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Instead of taking the risk of buying or leasing, why don't you rent a Leaf for a month? If you like it and it serves well under the Texan heat (I know because I have visited my Dad who lives in Laredo), then go for the lease. If you don't like it and it fails, then it was a paid experiment and you should return the Leaf.

·
Registered
481 Posts
As I posted in the other thread, I've decided to pass on the Leaf I was considering but I am still curious to hear about battery life reports from around here.
You understand that these are the Volt forums, yes? Maybe try finding/posting in the Leaf forums.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you have not already done so, I suggest you go to the Leaf forum and ask the same question. Battery degradation is a major topic on the Leaf forum. The consensus on that forum is that heat is the biggest factor in permanent loss of range.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There are severe, known issues with the LEAF since it doesn't have a LBTMS (liquid battery thermal management system) like the Volt does. There are people who wouldn't even touch one. In the 2014 LEAF, you can only charge to 100% since they've removed the 80% charge level option which lengthens battery life -- I don't understand this move on the part of Nissan.

If you want to go 100% electric, have you checked out the Ford Focus Electric? That car does have a LBTMS. You might also be able to get a Chevy Spark EV (with LBTMS too) shipped from Oregon or California.

Nissan said they are working on a better battery design, but there have been no recent announcements except for the 2017+ year update. They also refuse to go down the simple path of just adding a LBTMS to the LEAF as opposed to having to invent a new battery design to address a problem that has already been solved by other companies (Chevrolet, Ford, Tesla and others).

In addition, some people are seeing a 30 mile LEAF range. You might as well get a Volt! Here's a quote and an article:

"...Where a 60-mile range was once common in regular use, some are finding that cut to as low as 30 miles--and to save energy as much as possible, some drivers are shunning the car's heater in favor of chemical pocket warmers, and even blankets..."

From: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082483_japans-electric-taxis-falling-out-of-favor-with-drivers

·
Registered
2013 Volt
476 Posts
As I've posted in another thread, I'm considering a Leaf but has serious concerns over battery life here in the DFW heat. I'm looking for info from any of you north Texas Leaf owners on how your battery is holding up after 12,18,24+ months and what your overall impression of the car is.
Lease it but do not buy it. As you know Leaf lacks an active battery thermal management system such as liquid cooling, battery AC..etc...The Volt and most other EVs have this. Just yesterday my Volt's battery thermal management system kicked in while it was parked and plugged in my driveway (not charging up). The temp was 99 degrees outside and the Volt was mostly shaded...Glad my battery is being looked after ;).

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
Lease it but do not buy it. As you know Leaf lacks an active battery thermal management system such as liquid cooling, battery AC..etc...The Volt and most other EVs have this. Just yesterday my Volt's battery thermal management system kicked in while it was parked and plugged in my driveway (not charging up). The temp was 99 degrees outside and the Volt was mostly shaded...Glad my battery is being looked after ;).
Don't even spend the money on a lease or a rental, just take everyone's word for it, no thermal management at high temps is a problem. Nissan is replacing leaf batteries only when they lose a certain number of bars. Leaf owners are actively working hard to kill their batteries to get the free replacement, then drive it north to sell to someone who won't be as affected. It's a terrible way to drive, always babying the car to protect the battery. A coworker of mine who works in AZ basically parked his car and started taking public transportation because he cannot use his leaf to make it to work and back, but is still paying the lease and only using the car for short shopping trips. The poor guy is stuck and really pissed at Nissan, and I don't blame him.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You understand that these are the Volt forums, yes? Maybe try finding/posting in the Leaf forums.
I did. This is the, "Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Competitors -> Nissan" forum.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Post question on mynissanleaf.com and they will help you more.

Ian B

I have a 2011 Leaf SL and no issues or battery degradation. I am in Cedar Park, Texas.

Ian B

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
Don't even spend the money on a lease or a rental, just take everyone's word for it, no thermal management at high temps is a problem. Nissan is replacing leaf batteries only when they lose a certain number of bars. Leaf owners are actively working hard to kill their batteries to get the free replacement, then drive it north to sell to someone who won't be as affected. It's a terrible way to drive, always babying the car to protect the battery. A coworker of mine who works in AZ basically parked his car and started taking public transportation because he cannot use his leaf to make it to work and back, but is still paying the lease and only using the car for short shopping trips. The poor guy is stuck and really pissed at Nissan, and I don't blame him.
Another coworker has worked a deal to get out of his leaf lease because of health issues due to the recycled plastic used in the seat upholstery. He has had horrible medical problems because of the leaf with high heat emitting gasses. Real world story, I'm not making this up.

My only complaint about the volt is that it seems to attract flying debris requiring bodywork and bad drivers who don't see me causing more than usual near misses. Maybe it's the white diamond tricoat that makes me invisible, maybe it's just bad luck, or maybe I'm starting to drive like a grandpa (slower than I used to in order to maximize range) making me an easier target. It seems always be people almost hitting me, not the opposite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts