GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but unfortunately most questions about fan noise are while charging. The few others I found didn't sound like what I heard today so I thought I'd ask as I don't know what type of fan sounds are normal on this car yet.

Today I had just pulled onto a side road and slowed for a left turn and while sitting at the stop sign, I heard a whirring/whining sound. It sounded maybe like an electric cooling fan sound morphed with the whirring of a fuel pump sound. I actually heard it over the radio with the windows up. Not that it was loud, but I could make it out. Turned the radio off to make sure it wasn't a humming in the song and it sounded like it was from my car.

The location sounded like somewhere near the rear of the car like maybe the left rear wheel well. Doesn't make sense. After I accelerated after the turn, I didn't hear it again. I can't 100% rule out that it was another car in the area making that noise since mine is silent: you hear everything. But I did pay attention and as other cars near me drove off, the sound stayed the same which makes me think it was from the Volt.

Car was in full eV mode with 80% charge, driving in normal mode with A/C and radio on.

Thanks for any insights.

Mike

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm a bit slow today. I realized that I could pull the video from my dashcam and you can actually hear it in this clip:

https://youtu.be/GUS9iH49X6Y

Ignore the high pitched noise: that's just a constant thing with this dashcam. The whirring sound starts just as the truck passes across the lane at about 0:14. Then I turn the radio off momentarily to see if I could still hear it but you can still hear it as I approach to pick up my daughter. It's an octave above middle C. Woooooooo. ;)

I stopped it where I did because as soon as I pulled off from that spot, the noise disappeared. Watching it back, you can hear it get much louder right at the end when she opens the door!

Mike

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
quick answer
front noise would be cooling fans and back is fuel tank pressure pump.

Front cooling fan can be Very loud if charging on hot day in full Texas sun

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
There's a cooling fan in the back for the 12V inverter.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
There's a cooling fan in the back for the 12V inverter.
I'd almost call that an understatement... it's a large (comically so, to me) centrifugal blower with a fancy duct. It cools the DC/DC converter (not an inverter). I've never heard mine kick on, but it sure looks like it would be loud!

OP, pull up your trunk sub floor sometime and check it out. Or just google around, there are probably pics of it out there.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I'd almost call that an understatement... it's a large (comically so, to me) centrifugal blower with a fancy duct. It cools the DC/DC converter (not an inverter). I've never heard mine kick on, but it sure looks like it would be loud!

OP, pull up your trunk sub floor sometime and check it out. Or just google around, there are probably pics of it out there.
Correct. GM calls it the accessory power control module.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts