GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting to all of you Fellow Volt enthusiasts!!!

I just bought my Gen1 Volt a little on 12/4/2018. It is definitely used, but seeing other "siblings" still going at over 150000 miles i figured it would (could) be a worthwhile car to use to commute to my local "park and ride" lot sans fossil fuel. SO, it's "New to Me" with a realization that there would likely be some sort of gremlin lurking...

SO I got it home and plugged it in and I got a good partial overnight charge. ( I plugged in at 11:30PM and I left for work at 4:30AM) I had 25 miles EV on the ticker, but I had to drive in to work and not ride in my Van-pool... so I burned through the EV mode and used the ICE for the rest of my 90 mile round trip.

I plugged it in at home and I got the click (yellow charge light), click and chirp (green charge light), and then about 35 seconds later I get a clickity click noise and the charging light turns off (goes dark). Another 15 seconds tick by and the cycle repeats, click yellow, click chirp green, clickity click off... rinse and repeat. I checked the codes and I see that I have a P1E00 and P0D26 set. (I found Post #42513 from "dmcmillen" and was reassured that it is solvable.)
I found that my Voltec Charger was all green lights and that the car was causing the restart loop for charging.

Fast forward a few days along with some digging on these forums, and I found that the Charging Port could be water logged due to some rear bake-lite cracking and an old receptacle design. I ordered a new replacement off of Amazon for $100 and it arrived in 2 days. So my first part swap. new "Port" number (ok fine Part Number) 23281030 - Receptacle for the upgraded design per PIC6015B.

Reset the MIL and tried to charge... same effect. At least the charge port receptacle wont be the future cause of charging failure...

So now I am trying to see where to try next. The car side of the Harness at the receptacle looked good. I could not determine if there is corrosion inside the harness plug.

I have also been tracing down PIP4095C about the P0D26 error and I have found that I do have an erratic proximity signal well above the 1.49 volts called out in the PIP. Mine screen grabbed to be at 2.09Volts. Granted this is with my new Duosida 240V L2 charging cable.

GDS2 software with a cloned VCXNano box has helped me to get this far. I should take a snapshot with the 120 volt EVSE as the PIP4095C tells me. (note to self)

Any Advice as I deep dive this issue?
The only major anomaly I can think of was that the temperature dropped into the 20's during my first week of ownership. I can't garage my Volt yet... so I am in the weather. in the Pacific Northwest.

Thoughts would be nice and appreciated. I am taking this as an education in GM-Voltec technology. I usually tinker on my cars to keep them running, and this one is in the same boat, just a different technology system involved.

I DID learn that ountain mode will charge my battery back up to 9 miles EV but the cost of premium is frustrating...
so if it is the Lear Charger, It works half way... just not via the power grid.

My power is pretty clean, new 20 Amp circuits for the 240V and the 120V chargers within 2 feet of the electrical panel. circuit testing devices show that They are properly wired, and they outlets themselves are wired with their screws and not the poke-in holes in back.

Thank you to the forum for some sweet info so far. just frustrated that I got it home and day 2 stopped charging from the grid.

the Library link to the Service manual is a God-send thank you to post #282505 OP is "garzipan" for starting the thread and a thank you to "Thaniel" for his 9/2018 post with a new working link to the Roswell Library system Chilton's Manual online!!!

I also found that a european link opens up the 2012 Volt for reference items...
www.autocats.ws/manual/chevrolet/tis0911/en/documents_2012/Volt/toc_Volt.html

not sure if I can post a link or not yet...
So any insight would be appreciated. I have already ordered the Coolant Sensor Defeat Plug designed by WOT... thank you for that design fix!

Cheers from the Left Coast in Washington State!

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Have you tried charging at a public station? Just to rule out your EVSE as the cause.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried twice, both at public charger and then yesterday at the Chevy Dealership with their charger...
No Dice with either additional option.
I also checked the Proximity signal using the 120 Volt EVSE and I got a nice steady 1.49 Volts as the PIP4095C directed...

looking like I will be replacing my on board charger (below the front pass headlight)... unless someone can comment as to what else I can try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts