GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi kids, so this is my second winter with an early build 2014... love the rig overall of course. I've been lurking at this site for a while, answering most of my questions without needing to post.

However, finally I have to break the silence. I bought in late 2013, so I had the choice between a "deal" on a clearance 2013, or pay full freight for a 2014. Because of the updated battery and engine management systems I chose a 14, with the idea that I want to have the car for a while, so might as well get the best version possible

I live in the Cascade range, so we see lots of freezing temps. I have noticed that my ICE starts at 35F, most of the time. I thought I read somewhere that the 2014s were supposed to have an updated programming that started the ICE at lower temps than that. This was one of the main reasons I went with a 14 instead of a 13, because I wanted to maximize electric driving and where I live that means working around the ICE temp cutoff as much as possible.

Anyways, is this fixable with firmware updates (fingers crossed)? Am I just stuck with some 2013 internal parts because its an early build 2014? Has anyone encountered this before?

I would have posted this in the ICE section of the forum but this newbie zone seems to get more traffic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Glad you were able to answer your own question!:)

BTW: Unless you were lucky enough to get a very late model 14 equipped with the 17.1 kWh battery pack used in the 2015s, you more than likely have the same 16.5 kWh battery pack capacity as used in the 2013 thru 2014...

·
8,680 Posts
ok I answered most of my questions with the help of this thread

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?10629-quot-Engine-Running-due-to-Temperature-quot/page5

I SWEAR i searched a bunch of times for these threads, but didn't find them until I posted this one and saw the suggested other threads... oh well

Guess I will go try and find the config setting for extra cold! Glad it exists!
I see you found your answer. The forum's search engine isn't great - I often search with Google instead, using "site:gm-volt.com" as an argument gives you Google's engine on just our threads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swear i also "read somewhere" that the battery of a 2014 was upgraded capacity from the 2013, separate from the upgraded capacity for the 2015s... take it that isn't the case?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey just went out to the garage and found the setting... its under the config menu for "climate and air quality" which probably explains why I never found it before hahaha...

anyways bunch of other interesting things to click on there too, hope I didn't break anything!

I tried to change some of the settings for the warning honks I am always getting, like for getting out of the car and fussing with the wipers, leaving the door open even if the car is off, etc

If anyone has advice on how to turn that crap off I would really appreciate it. I always seem to cause a warning honk when its as embarrassing as possible, in some kind of public parking lot (yikes)... and other than the very occasional "remote left in vehicle" warning, i don't really find the warnings that helpful

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I swear i also "read somewhere" that the battery of a 2014 was upgraded capacity from the 2013, separate from the upgraded capacity for the 2015s... take it that isn't the case?
Nope, just like for 2012's, some later models got the 2013 battery (and bunch of other upgrades 13 got over 12).
Early 2014's are same battery wise as a 2013, later 2014's got the 2015 battery.

Though a 14 also has some decent infotainment upgrades over a 2013, so it's still nice to have.
e.g. 2014 will read texts to you, 2013 does not.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nope, just like for 2012's, some later models got the 2013 battery (and bunch of other upgrades 13 got over 12).
Early 2014's are same battery wise as a 2013, later 2014's got the 2015 battery.

Though a 14 also has some decent infotainment upgrades over a 2013, so it's still nice to have.
e.g. 2014 will read texts to you, 2013 does not.
Alas, some text messages are better left unread. ;)

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
There's another forum thread posting today that seems to be counterintuitive to your desire to avoid erdtt. If you drive long distances where you know you will burn some fuel, you might be better off at the default higher setting. If your commute is short, then the low setting might work better for you.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Really? Haven't been able to figure that out yet...
Apart form pairing my Z10, I did nothing to make this work. A text comes in on the phone, the console display offers to read it. You can also send a few canned responses such as "Yes, "No", "I'm driving".

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may want to try down loading motospeak app if you can.. my 2012 will read texts with it

·
Administrator
20,586 Posts
I tried to change some of the settings for the warning honks I am always getting, like for getting out of the car and fussing with the wipers, leaving the door open even if the car is off, etc

If anyone has advice on how to turn that crap off I would really appreciate it.
These are telling you the car is on (if you exit and shut the door with the key in your pocket while the car is running), or your key is in the car.

We've had several posts where people have ignored the warnings and were then shocked! and surprised! to find their car still running when they returned from shopping, lunch, etc. They thought they had turned off the car even though the dash was fully active, the car chimes sounded when the door was opened, and the car honked (MY 2014+) when the door was shut.

This often ends with the poster wondering why the car did not alert them (besides all the above ways it did alert them) in some way. Then there is often some thoughts that this is a safety issue and something must be done! (besides all the things the car already does). Someone once suggested tongue-in-cheek maybe a punch in the face needs to be added. :)

As a further response, starting in 2014 GM has the car shut down after 150 minutes of inactivity.

So I don't think GM wants you disabling these particular alerts. You could try asking your dealer, perhaps they can.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am with you on the alerts. I know when I have left my car on, I can hear it (even in electric mode). I find the honking to be so embarrassing when I am pulling the car out of the garage to put my son in his car seat. It honks when I get out of my seat, then honks when I close the back door, and dings the entire time if my door open. Its very very annoying.

·
4,872 Posts
They opened up the charge window a bit more than the 2013's, but it's the same battery.

So you are correct that a 2014 should have a bit more usable energy than a 2013, even if yours doesn't have the 2015's 17.1kWh pack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what i can't stand is that i specifically started being very conscientious about turning the car off every time i got out, which cut back on the warning honks... but it didn't stop them altogether. Mine warns me even after the car is off, if I get out and leave the door open, and then get back in and start it... I can't understand any safety purpose that helps

·
Registered
303 Posts
what i can't stand is that i specifically started being very conscientious about turning the car off every time i got out, which cut back on the warning honks... but it didn't stop them altogether. Mine warns me even after the car is off, if I get out and leave the door open, and then get back in and start it... I can't understand any safety purpose that helps
That's the car thinking the fob was left inside. It's a proximity sensor with the key fob and door open/closed in combination.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts