GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Volt. I often place the car in ACC (or Service) mode when the vehicle is stopped if nothing else but to listen to the radio and operated my windows while sitting in the car. To enter this mode, I simply press the power button without placing my foot on the brake for 10 seconds. A few times now, I forget I'm in this mode and when I'm ready to drive off, I put my foot on the brake, unlatch the emergency brake and put the car into drive (or reverse depending on terrain). To my surprise, there is no power to the wheels or brake (even though the mechanical brake does work... good thing!). This can be scary depending on circumstance since the the accelerator has no effect. Why doesn't Chevy engineering prevent me from possibly having an incident by inhibiting me from coming out of park while in ACC mode?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
IT'S NOT ACC MODE!

I have a 2013 Volt. I often place the car in ACC (or Service) mode when the vehicle is stopped if nothing else but to listen to the radio and operated my windows while sitting in the car. To enter this mode, I simply press the power button without placing my foot on the brake for 10 seconds. A few times now, I forget I'm in this mode and when I'm ready to drive off, I put my foot on the brake, unlatch the emergency brake and put the car into drive (or reverse depending on terrain). To my surprise, there is no power to the wheels or brake (even though the mechanical brake does work... good thing!). This can be scary depending on circumstance since the the accelerator has no effect. Why doesn't Chevy engineering prevent me from possibly having an incident by inhibiting me from coming out of park while in ACC mode?
It's quite simple. It's SERVICE mode and was intended to be used exclusively during the diagnosis ad repair of the Volt and not intended to be used as an accessory mode. How could a technician safely check the operation of the shifter, N and L modes etc in the service bay if it went into propulsion? Additionally since the 12V battery isn't being charged in service mode you could easily drain the battery laving you stranded.
If you want to "listen to radio" anytime while the car is OFF, simply press the radio button!

Welcome to the gm-volt.com forums
WopOnTour

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Yes, it's really best to avoid Service Mode. Folks have been greatly inconvenienced by doing that. I don't think you'd lose much in battery capacity just by leaving the car ON actually.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The ability to power up the center stack simply by pushing its power button is one of the less known features of the car.

This is also handy if you parked, opened the door and realized that you forgot to switch to 12A charging. No need to power the car back up. Just press the button in the middle of the volume knob and then the leaf button.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your suggestions

For us "old timers", the ACC position meant that you could listen to the radio while still being able to lower and raise the electric windows without turning on the car. It just seems counter intuitive having to turn on the high voltage system to have access to both features. True, I can turn on the radio simply having the FOB nearby however the windows do not operate without either turning on the car or placing it in "Service mode". Good point about possibly draining the aux battery in Service mode by the way. I still believe that having the vehicle in Service Mode is a bit risky so I guess if I want access to both radio and having the ability to lower the windows, I'll have to turn the car on.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
You can read many threads here about people having a drained 12 volt battery and ended up getting a tow.
Generally they or the people they called did not know other options to get the car going.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Both the radio and the windows work after you turn off the car until you open a door. You don't need to do anything to get that functionality. If a door has opened, then you need to turn the car back on, or be very careful how you use service mode. The car uses very little power when it is stopped and "running", unlike a gas car, which burns gas continually just turning the engine and creating waste heat. If you don't want the climate control system drawing power, turn it off instead of the whole car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts