GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a non-studdable LRR winter tire with carbide granules in the compound to give traction on ice.

I finally got to use these "in anger" last night and this morning after a record-setting warm autumn and early winter.

Last night for the first 20 miles I was driving in 1"-2" of slush at a temp of 33F. They weren't fantastic here, it was easy to ride up on top and start hydroplaning. Mine are the same width as the stock tires - narrower would have been better. Energy usage was insane - 20.4 miles used 9.4kWh - 460Wh/mile while never exceeding 50mph!

After that the temperature dropped to 30F, the snow was more dry and packed, and I covered another 60 miles with much more grip.

This morning temperatures were in the low teens. I pushed through a 10" plow berm at the end of the driveway with no drama. 45 on my snow-packed side road was uneventful. The state highway had some firmly packed snow on it, but 60 was fine here with plenty of grip.

On dry roads these tires are exceptionally quiet - not at all like other winter tires I have used in the past ( Hakka 2, General Arctic Claw). Rolling resistance has also been decent on dry roads - 30-35 miles EV range (9.7kWh) at 32F - about 1/2 that on interstate (300 Wh/mile). I have them at 44psi cold (set at 32F).

Steering feel is a tiny bit vague, nothing compared to older winter tires, but a bit "squishy" compared to my all-seasons.

So far - quite happy with these, aside from the price - roughly $150/tire + mounting, taxes, etc.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
I paid $138 per tire installed for Yokohama snow and ice tires. Under $600 with sales taxes. But only tons of rain here so I can't give any sort of review until the snow starts and I slap them on.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Drop the 44psi to 38psi in order to get grip on slush. Overinflating the tires increase the hydroplane tendency.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dropping pressure can gain you a couple mph before planing starts, yeah. The most awseome winter driving I ever saw was a winter rallycross with an old Saab 99 with 155-width unstudded snow tires. He blitzed the field, beating several Subarus and AWD Audis with various studded, snow and rally tires by 5-10 seconds per run on a 45-second course. Narrower is better in the sloppy stuff.

10" of cold dry snow due here by this evening - they're going to get a good workout tonight.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So that was no issue at all, at 60 I was the second-quickest thing on the road and could have gone 75 without issues. Some of that was the tires, some of it the stability control.

15" plow berm at the end of the driveway and 8" of snow on the driveway was also no problem, other than the snow coming up over the windshield making it hard to see for a moment. When I parked there was 4" of snow on the hood, it was bare before the plow berm...

Only Q now is how many miles they last...

Attachments

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
So that was no issue at all, at 60 I was the second-quickest thing on the road and could have gone 75 without issues. Some of that was the tires, some of it the stability control.

15" plow berm at the end of the driveway and 8" of snow on the driveway was also no problem, other than the snow coming up over the windshield making it hard to see for a moment. When I parked there was 4" of snow on the hood, it was bare before the plow berm...

Only Q now is how many miles they last...
I'm not sure that being quick on a snowy road even with snow tires is a good idea. Don't get too overconfident or you might find yourself in a ditch. All the installers in my tire shop where I got my snows installed said over and over again, the tread is a really soft compound in all snow and ice tires and will wear out very quickly on dry pavement. So I plan to install them as needed and take them off as soon as the weather isn't severe.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well yeah, the goal isn't to be fastest, but to have a large performance envelope "in reserve" while still getting where I need to be in a reasonable amount of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts