GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 bought Jan '12, 17k miles

Struts replaced at a few thousand miles.

For the past six months, I (and passengers) have heard inappropriate banging when the car goes over bumps - even small ones. It's no gear or weighty items in the car, but the suspension.

It's been to the dealer twice on this matter, and in both cases the dealer's semi-mechanic said "cannot duplicate". The last time, the service writer gave me the car back saying "well, they tightened a few things."

Today, I had the pleasure of driving another Volt. It's comparatively SILENT.

What can I do to get this fixed?

·
Registered
143 Posts
The suggestion to record the sound is a good one. In addition, I would try to be observant about the exact scenarios when this occurs. Perhaps try and duplicate it consistently yourself. Even better if you can narrow down the location. For example, if the noise occurs when a specific side of the car goes over the bump. Which end you hear it from. At what speeds. Unless its a common problem or the mechanic can hear it for themselves, it can be tough trying to diagnose such things. Its not much different than trying to diagnose a problem over the internet. The more info you can gather, the more it can help the mechanic. Intermittently occurring noise is one of the more difficult problems to determine a cause for.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Might be worth a shot, but check to see if the top nut on the strut is tight.

A bang usually means the strut is worn and no longer capable of dampening the oscillations, but it can also mean other things if yours is relatively new.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Air dam

I had a sound as described and it ended up being the front airdam striking the pavement hard enough and straight down so it made a hammering sound much louder then I would have expected...... :D

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Always check the last thing that was changed. It blows my mind that the struts were replaced already. They usually last over 50k miles.

Take it to an independent shop, like Pep Boys, and see if they can find the problem. Sometimes highly trained mechanics overlook simple things. Like a loose brake caliper.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

For the past six months, I (and passengers) have heard inappropriate banging when the car goes over bumps - even small ones. It's no gear or weighty items in the car, but the suspension.

It's been to the dealer twice on this matter, and in both cases the dealer's semi-mechanic said "cannot duplicate". The last time, the service writer gave me the car back saying "well, they tightened a few things."

If I were a betting man, I would think the noise comes from the front stabilizer links (they are attached to the struts-green). Usually, that is the genesis of clunking noises in other cars (along with sway bar bushings, but I've never been under a volt to check).

3,600 Posts

Good Morning Notaguru,

I apologize that you have this concern. I would suggest a ride and drive with your dealership. This way you can show them what you are experiencing. Your Dedicated Advisor should be able to arrange that for you. If you could PM me the last 8 of your VIN and best way to be contacted, I will have your Advisor reach out to you.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Oddly, the rear suspension on my car makes noise with just me getting out of the car, like a rusty groan. Hey, at 185 lbs. I'm not that heavy! Thankfully, though, I don't hear any untoward noise on the road so for now I haven't brought it up to a dealer. And the lease is up in December, so I'm not exactly obsessing about anything related to my Volt. Its days are numbered.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I had been hearing a lot of squeaking sounds out of my suspension. It was generally when I went over bumps, really bad if I was in N at the time. I brought this up when I had my tires rotated at 22.5K miles and they replaced the struts I believe. Problem really did not go away.

A month ago, I upped the pressure in my tires to 45 PSI and I have not noticed it since then. I just had my tries rotated for 30K miles and since I was not hearing any noise I did not bring up the issue. I will make sure the noise does not return before my 36K miles warranty expires though as my GMPP has a $100 deductible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What can also sound like suspension noise is loose sheetmetal screws. I had that in my Tahoe after some front end body work and thought it was the suspension popping over bumps. The mechanic found loose sheetmetal screws and tightened them just in case. That solved the problem with mine and maybe with yours.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My Volt has incredibly noisy suspension. Several people have asked, unprovoked, if there's something wrong with the car when riding as passengers.

The dealer repaired the struts as per a bulletin and the noise was reduced by maybe 25%. Still embarrassing.

Perhaps related is that every GM rental car I've been in (many, many, many of these...) has a suspension that bangs around like an old jalopy on bumpy roads. Malibus, Cruzes, HHRs, you name it. Perhaps it's just corporate indifference to this type of NVH exacerbated by the extreme lack of other noises in the Volt? Perhaps a consistently shoddy part in the suspension that wears quickly? Who knows.

My old POS Toyota 4x4 pickup rode like a Bentley in comparison.

-Drew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts