GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been hot lately so I have running the AC more often in Comfort mode and I have noticed that my 2013 will make a horrible noise. (horrible to be me at least since for the most part my volt is usually silent) I found a video on youtube from years ago where someone recorded it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5UY2jfF-uY

My AC appears to work fine it is blowing cold. Is that sound normal when running the AC on comfort? Or should I take it to the dealer? (my bumper to bumper warranty ran out :( already)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds normal to me from the video. Just the AC compressor ramping up then the fan coming on to move air across the condenser.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The noise in the video is a normal noise. If your car has the same noise, then there is no issue. You may stop by and ask for a volt tech to hear the noise to see what he/she thinks but most likely normal. With the system on comfort, the compressor is spun much faster to build up pressure and the cooling fans are on high speed to remove the heat from the system more so then when in eco mode. Try this, start the car and go to your a/c screen. With the system on eco, look to the lower left side of the screen and you should see a % number, should be around 30-40% on eco. This % number is how much energy the a/c system is using, 0% is min amount of power, 100% is the max. The higher the number, the more power the compressor is using (when on a/c, not heat). Now turn the system to comfort and watch the % go up and the noise level should follow.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes that is normal. Inside a closed garage like in the video makes it seem even louder. Keep in mind that if you have a regular ICE car the AC noise is masked somewhat by all the other engine noises. On the Volt you have both the AC pump with a direct electric motor attached with no belts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts