GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of this talk you've read about interest in the Volt "waning" is nothing more than protected speech (i.e. political hogwash). Currently, there are over 50,000 buyers on the Volt waiting list, and many of those have been waiting for a Volt for nearly a year. I ordered mine on October 9, 2010, but am one of the lucky ones:

07/20/2011 (3100) Order available to sequence.
07/20/2011 (3400) Order Broadcast (internal plant paperwork order produced). Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together.
08/16/2011 (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping. For Cadillac, GMC and Buick customers, please contact your dealer or customer service for further updates as no further updates available at this time.
08/17/2011 (4000) Vehicle available to ship.
08/17/2011 (4150) Invoiced (order is invoiced to the dealer).
08/17/2011 (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.​

I spoke with my Chevrolet dealer today, and I may have the car as soon as next week. I can assure you that there is no "waning" going on at my house. In fact, the people I work with are excited, and have not stopped asking about the Volt. I have had to promise most of the staff a ride in the car, and several have told me that if the Volt turns out well for me, they will get one also. None of them are on that 50,000 strong waiting list.

I have not seen *any* dampening of enthusiam for the Volt.

It is inevitable that as more and more people observe good experiences with the Volt first hand, the opinions of the GM haters will be quietly moved from the Internet publications folders to the Recycle Bins on web servers around the world.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
No waning here either, James! My wife and I are as enthused today as we were 4800 miles ago! It only seems to get better. When we arrived home with our Volt we have a lifetime of 41.5 MPG, now we are closing in on lifetime 100 MPG :) I know that pales in comparison to what others with shorter commutes or work plug-in are getting, but it's a thrill for me. And the drive quality is not shabby either, haha.

·
Registered
81 Posts
frankie joe

There is also no waning here in Riverton Ct. I ordered my volt 2 weeks ago and have gotten word that it will be made in early Sept. To say I'm excited is an understatement!

·
Registered
274 Posts
"Currently, there are over 50,000 buyers on the Volt waiting list"

I'd really like to believe that number. Where does it come from? If its not based on reality then it only serves to fan the intense flames of vitriol that Volt haters spew.

Stuart #2209

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Currently, there are over 50,000 buyers on the Volt waiting list

Hello Stuart,

This is a list of qualified buyers, who indicated their desire to purchase the Volt:

http://gm-volt.com/wait-list-data/

Thank you,

James

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
No waning here .. I just drove to 1600+ miles R/T to Wills Point Chevy in TX (thanks guys) to get my volt. The 800+ miles drive back will mean I don't get high lifetime MPG for a while (though I averaged 42MPG-CS) and plugged in along the way home to allow my initial lifetime average to be ~50mpg. But no gas since I got her home and slowly climbing in MPG. And to those that think that kind of drive is crazy, we feel it was worth the trip. (They won't sell them in CO until Nov/Dec.. and the dealer we talked to here wanted 1000s above list. Wills Point sold us a 2011 below list :)

I must agree with Suart, I think the 50,000 on the gm-want list is a bit old. I was #157 there.. but there is no way to remove a satisfied customer from it (or someone that gave up earlier and bought something else.). Bashing bashers for bad data means we must clean up our own. Anyone know where the actual list went and when it was last updated?

boultvolt #3745

·
Registered
700 Posts
No dampened enthusiasm personally. I am eagerly awaiting my Volt and really look forward to getting past 3000 where it has been stuck for a couple of weeks.

I did hear from my dealer that their other allocation unit for the year did back out (and lost their $1000 down payment). I don't know why, but it is a data point that at least one person has lost interest.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
3,600 Posts
That is great tboult! Congratulations! We're so happy to hear you are enjoying your new Volt. You are not alone when it comes to people who left their home state to buy one. Several others bought in other states, some even traveled clear across the country to get one!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
That is great tboult! Congratulations! We're so happy to hear you are enjoying your new Volt. You are not alone when it comes to people who left their home state to buy one. Several others bought in other states, some even traveled clear across the country to get one!
Yep had mine shipped in from Michigan! Not Cheap but exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No Waning here either - but lets face facts, please

Originally Posted by JamesMcQuaid
"Hello Stuart,

This is a list of qualified buyers, who indicated their desire to purchase the Volt:

http://gm-volt.com/wait-list-data/

Thank you,

James"

James: I would like nothing better to know that there are 50,000 people waiting to buy their volts. Unfortunately, the list you reference dates back to July 2010, perhaps earlier than that, and must be taken with a grain of salt. As others have commented, people have moved on; people have taken delivery of their Volts but remain on the wait list. The single most alarming part of the waiting list is the parameter that says that the average price that people on the list are willing pay is $31,532.43. That should tell you that many of the people on the list had an unreasonably low expectation of the Volt's price and as such, will never get one. Kind of like me deciding that I would love to get a new Karma or Tesla and sign up on the waiting list and would be willing to spend $75,000 for it...nice idea - but not gonna happen. Between the US and Canada, there were 25,000 people on the list one year ago. The country of origin for the other 27,125 interested parties is not identified.

As I have said in other posts...I live just north of NYC in the town that Money Magazine, in its september 2011 issue, just rated as the third wealthiest town in the USA. I have the only Volt I have seen (excepting the two demo Volts at two local Chevy dealers.) I used to own a car leasing business and have been a "car guy" for the past 30 years. My neighbors and friends look to me as a barometer of what's next: I was one of the first to have a rotary engine Mazda (1972); one of the first with a Honda Accord (1976); 300SD Mercedes (1983); first E-Class Mercedes (1986); first Audi A6; First Toyota Highlander Hybrid (boy did that car suck!)

I am confident that My Volt is a wonderfully well engineered next generation vehicle of world class quality and the economic equation is borne out every day: 70% of my nearly 3000 miles have been EV miles and since April, when we got it, we have spent approximately $500 less on gasoline than we had been spending on our 2008 Rav4 LTD. Over that same time period, our electric bill (thank you Con Edison for having some of the highest rates in the USA) has increased an average of $50 per month.

Bottom line: Let's stop believing our own BS and helping the Volt bashers

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stuart: Your point on the currency of that list is well taken.

August's Volt production is being used to fill backorders, and the same may be true of September. The so-called Tier 1 auto manufacturers have demonstrated that there is plenty of demand for the highest quality vehicles. In the first six months of this year, Mercedes Benz sold 118,021 vehicles in the United States. Consequently, I am confident that GM can sell 50,000 Volts in the twelve months of 2012.

The real intent of my post was to encourage folks to stay positive in the face of the FUD peddlers and the haters.

Thank you,

James

·
Registered
134 Posts
All of this talk you've read about interest in the Volt "waning" is nothing more than protected speech (i.e. political hogwash). Currently, there are over 50,000 buyers on the Volt waiting list, and many of those have been waiting for a Volt for nearly a year. I ordered mine on October 9, 2010, but am one of the lucky ones:

07/20/2011 (3100) Order available to sequence.
07/20/2011 (3400) Order Broadcast (internal plant paperwork order produced). Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together.
08/16/2011 (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping. For Cadillac, GMC and Buick customers, please contact your dealer or customer service for further updates as no further updates available at this time.
08/17/2011 (4000) Vehicle available to ship.
08/17/2011 (4150) Invoiced (order is invoiced to the dealer).
08/17/2011 (4B00) Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor.​

I spoke with my Chevrolet dealer today, and I may have the car as soon as next week. I can assure you that there is no "waning" going on at my house. In fact, the people I work with are excited, and have not stopped asking about the Volt. I have had to promise most of the staff a ride in the car, and several have told me that if the Volt turns out well for me, they will get one also. None of them are on that 50,000 strong waiting list.

I have not seen *any* dampening of enthusiam for the Volt.

It is inevitable that as more and more people observe good experiences with the Volt first hand, the opinions of the GM haters will be quietly moved from the Internet publications folders to the Recycle Bins on web servers around the world.
Great post, James. I run across the same thing every weekend. At least one or two people stop and ask me about my Volt. I have probably taken 20 -25 people for a ride in the VOLT. SO NO WANING HERE, EITHER

Paul S -Red Volt #2169 Lifetime now 109 mpg!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts