GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
No start Loss of propulsion "Shift to Park" message Campaign # 16017 Cable misaligned

It's hard to believe that I was having a scary problem on the first day of my new 2017 Volt. It happened literally in less than 5 hours after bringing the car home!

I drove home yesterday morning with a brand new 2017 Volt. The car kicked in gas mode when it arrived at my garage since there were only a few EV miles remaining from the dealer. Since I have a leased 2014 Volt, the first thing I did for the 2017 Volt was to plug it in to my 240V level 2 charging station. After 3 1/2 hours of charging (not fully charged yet), I needed to drive it (in EV mode) on the freeway with my family. But within 2 miles, all of a sudden, I saw the message "Shift to Park" appearing on the car dashboard. At first, I did not know what it meant. My instinct told me to exit right away and figure out what's going on. Luckily, I was able to immediately pull over safely onto the exit ramp. I tried to stop and start the car a couple times and only to see the message "Shift to Park" again. I then determined the car was in big trouble (so were us!).

I pushed the onStar SOS emergency button for help. I asked for running the diagnostic report. But the reporting was taking forever to complete. The car seemed to have shut down with no response to the report run and start up. Fan was still working but no A/C. With only hot air coming out from the vent, in 90+ degree heat, my wife and my little girl inside, the onStar adviser finally--after some 20 minutes--confirmed that there's nothing else we could do at the point but issuing roadside assistance to tow my Volt back to the dealer for repair.

The weird thing was that this morning I went to the dealer and the car appeared to be back to normal. I test-drove again with no issue. But I insisted on having the car checked/scanned and fully charged for another check if needed. Finally, I got a phone call this afternoon from the dealer confirming a certain HV component defect requiring replacement!

After reading many similar experiences shared by 2017 Volt drivers in this forum, I have decided to register and share my ordeal. I am not sure what I can do with my new Volt or in this situation, but GM definitely needs to take our concerns and address this issue seriously, and, perhaps, provide car dealers instructions for check up before delivering the car. Otherwise, there will be safety concerns for Volt owners. My family could have been seriously hurt yesterday if I were not able to quickly maneuver the car to the off ramp.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It seems like some faulty component is common to this complaint.

Not related but maybe similar to what can happen with these types of problems:
Long time ago Volkswagen had a problem with the fuel tank boost pump in the gas tank to the main pump. They had 2 suppliers: Motometer and VDO. VDO took the requirements and used an inferior plastic bearing that would go bad. Motometer didn't. It turned out that every single VDO was going to fail and the new ones were going to fail as well. Trouble is Motometer was a very small supplier and could not supply anywhere the numbers required (million plus). So we at the dealer had to keep installing defective pumps for 6 months to a year. Worse, VDO pumps were very common on other car manufacturers as well.

It could very well be GM has a supplier issue and the replacement parts are hit and miss as well. GM may have no choice but to suffer thru them.

Either way, it has got to be frustrating to have this happen on day one. I can assure you no one is happy about this, from GM to dealer to you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It seems like some faulty component is common to this complaint.

Either way, it has got to be frustrating to have this happen on day one. I can assure you no one is happy about this, from GM to dealer to you.
Right, but the question is- will GM be proactive about this? Although there have been relatively few, I suppose based on the total number of units sold, posts about this on this board, we don't know how many people are experiencing this who are NOT on thisboard.

While I understand "Shift to Park" can be indicative of numerous things, it was seen enough with MY 2016 and is still happening with MY 2017.

I really, really, really hope GM is looking into this and is monitoring this board. I've got a bit over 11k on my 2016 and no issues, but reading continued posts like this one does not inspire confidence.

I hope someone from GM will respond on this board.

Best,
Rick

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
That's disconcerting to hear, especially since I picked up a '17 myself a couple of weeks ago. So far so good (knock on wood), but I'm hoping this isn't some widespread issue.

OP, could you post the last 5 of your VIN? Wondering if there was a certain batch of '17s that are afflicted by this issue.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Right, but the question is- will GM be proactive about this? Although there have been relatively few, I suppose based on the total number of units sold, posts about this on this board, we don't know how many people are experiencing this who are NOT on thisboard.

While I understand "Shift to Park" can be indicative of numerous things, it was seen enough with MY 2016 and is still happening with MY 2017.

I really, really, really hope GM is looking into this and is monitoring this board. I've got a bit over 11k on my 2016 and no issues, but reading continued posts like this one does not inspire confidence.

I hope someone from GM will respond on this board.

Best,
Rick
from the sounds of it, GM might have indicated the problem to the dealer after they ran out of patience and called them.

it may take more data/work to isolate the root cause and fix.

2 more useless old car stories.
Volkswagen Vanagens used to have a problem called the "mysterious miss". driving down the road the vehicles would start to sputter, sometimes completely stalling out and then taking a few minutes before restarting. others would just sputter and return to normal. always ran fine after and before. VW tried repeatedly to fix it. They had us re-positioning harnesses and all kinds of silly stuff. Some seem to help but no pattern emerged. VW engineers eventually created an expensive test environment and figured out the air passing thru the mass air flow senor (airbox on a digifant system) was charging up the sensor arm and after a static charge was sufficient it would discharge throwing the entire ECU into a frenzy. this problem existed for several years before finding the issue. the fix was to install a device to discharge the arm before it could gather strength. no parts were defective. nowadays, I dont think it would go this long. customers would never accept this.

this event was told to me so it could be here-say but it sounds probable because of the things we fixed in my previous life and the person who told me. so the story goes the customer came into the shop saying that when he went to the ice cream store an bought 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream the car always started up fine. when he bough peppermint ice cream, the car would not restart for 10-15 minutes. The shop spent a lot of time looking for the problem and came to disbelieve the customer so they went with the customer to the ice cream shop and tried it out and sure enough, just as the customer explained. it turned out the carb had a pinhole in the casting and it would leak into the manifold, flooding the engine. why the ice cream flavored mattered is because the vanilla was pre-packed and ready to go but the peppermint was not and the longer time allowed it to flood the engine. I once found a cold start valve on a fuel injection sort of like this.

anyway this is just to suggest that these things are not always cut and dry but eventually they are solved.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a new 2017 owner it's not just the frequency of this failure, but the potential danger that's a worry. The high density and speed of traffic on some local roads is not a place to have a car quit. You can be doing 75+ in the left of 4 lanes boxed in by BMW and Lexus drivers who can't wait to get home and pour up their first margarita. If your car just quits or a tire fails it's dangerous. You would think after all that's happened to car companies in recent years they would almost panic at the first report of this type of failure. This smells like a recall case building. Hope they don't wait too long. On expressways, maybe I'll start driving in the right lane or wherever the exit ramps are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Shift to Park" powertrain failure - How common?

As the new owner of a 2017 Volt, I've been browsing these forums and am somewhat alarmed by the seemingly large number of people reporting that their 2016 or 2017 Volt suddenly died and displayed a "Shift to Park" message. Do we have any sense of how pervasive this problem is, and how well GM understands the root cause of the issue? Is this limited to a handful of defective parts, or is it possible that there's a more systemic flaw here that will lead most 2016/2017 Volts to eventually have this problem?

Basically, I'm wondering how much I need to worry that my Volt will suddenly die while I'm driving down the road. This sounds like a potentially scary safety issue. And also really embarrassing, considering how effusively I've been singing the Volt's praises to anyone who will listen. :p

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
How many cars has this occurred on? What is your source? If it was a major safety the fed's would be all over ANY issue with a GM vehicle and it would be reported and GM forced to issue a recall.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I checked the NHTSA website, and there are 2 official complaints logged for the '17 Volt: 1 reported brake issue, and 1 that sounds like it could have been the "Shift to park", car dying on road issue. If the problem was truly widespread, you'd think there would be more complaints logged. But it seems that several owners have experienced the Shift to Park problem, so there does seem to be an issue with at least a few Volts.

"6/13/2016 - AUSTIN, TX
I WAS APPROACHING A SUDDEN RED LIGHT AND APPLIED MY BRAKES HARD BUT NOT TOO HARD (I DID NOT SUDDENLY SLAM THE BRAKES). THE BRAKES APPLIED AS EXPECTED AT FIRST BUT THE BRAKES LET UP SOME AND MY VEHICLE FAILED TO DECELERATE FOR ABOUT HALF A SECOND BEFORE THE BRAKES APPLIED AGAIN AND DECELERATED TO A STOP. I WAS NOT ABLE TO DEPRESS THE PEDAL FURTHER WHEN IT WAS CLEAR THAT THE BRAKES WERE NOT DECELERATING."

"4/3/2016 - CASTRO VALLEY, CA
2017 CHEVROLET VOLT EXTREME ENGINE HAZARD: ON 22-MAR-2016 I PURCHASED A 2017 CHEVROLET VOLT PREMIER, ALL SAFETY OPTIONS. DRIVING ON FREEWAY AT 65 MPH, STRAIGHT DRIVING, RELATIVELY LIGHT TRAFFIC, THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON YELLOW AND STEADY (EMISSIONS SYSTEM SERVICE WARNING) BUT THE CAR UNCONTROLLABLY DECELERATED. THE FREEWAY HAD NO SHOULDER DUE TO CONSTRUCTION. THE CAR SMELLED OF BURNING ELECTRICAL INSULATION CONFIRMED BY THE TOW TRUCK DRIVER. THE CAR, WITH LESS THAN 150 TOTAL MILES, IN CLEAR WEATHER, AT TWILIGHT, 76 DEGREES, CALIFORNIA AT SEA LEVEL, STRAIGHTAWAY, HAD A SUDDEN AND NEAR TOTAL LOSS OF ALL PROPULSION. THIS CAUSED A LACK OF CONTROL (OBVIOUSLY) IN THE FORWARD DIRECTION, CAUSING AN EXTREME HAZARD ON THE FREEWAY. I AM AN EXPERIENCED DRIVER: MAKE NO MISTAKE, THIS WAS A SERIOUS MANUFACTURE'S ERROR. I CHECKED, NO PARKING BRAKE, THE CAR WAS IN DRIVE GEAR, I HAD BOTH ELECTRIC RANGE AND OVER 7/8 TANK OF GAS SHOWING A GAS RANGE OF 360 MILES - AND I HAD JUST DRIVEN 60 MILES. THERE WAS NO BRAKE SMELL, AS I DID NOT NEED TO APPLY THE BRAKE BECAUSE THE ENGINE GAVE NO PROPULSION. MY HAND WAS OFF THE REGEN SWITCH. THE CAR HAD A MAJOR MALFUNCTION CAUSING AN EXTREME HAZARD, AND BASED ON THE SMELL, POSSIBLE FIRE HAZARD."

2016 Volt had 1 complaint filed about the driver being blinded by sunlight bouncing off some chrome. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
657 Posts
It was a bit scary in my case, just finished passing a bunch of cars and starting pulling back into the right lane just ahead of them when I got the shift to park, reduced propulsion messages and a GREAT loss of power. This was on a straight section of simple turnpike, I can only imagine how scary this would be in a complicated section of highway with cars merging in and out. Bright news is that since the replacement, have been driving in 98 degree weather without incident. I hear you about being boxed in by BMWs etc. Around here they drive like real A-holes and think they own the road.
As a new 2017 owner it's not just the frequency of this failure, but the potential danger that's a worry. The high density and speed of traffic on some local roads is not a place to have a car quit. You can be doing 75+ in the left of 4 lanes boxed in by BMW and Lexus drivers who can't wait to get home and pour up their first margarita. If your car just quits or a tire fails it's dangerous. You would think after all that's happened to car companies in recent years they would almost panic at the first report of this type of failure. This smells like a recall case building. Hope they don't wait too long. On expressways, maybe I'll start driving in the right lane or wherever the exit ramps are.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
657 Posts
Apart from my instance I have seen about 6-7 other similar reports on this site. Not everyone reports these failures and only a fraction of VOLT owners are on this site. The dealer in Florida that fixed mine ( no in-state G2 models there at that time) reported that they have fixed quite a few new models with this problem (accurate?, seemed to be knowledgable Volt tech).

·
Registered
28 Posts
"6/13/2016 - AUSTIN, TX
I WAS APPROACHING A SUDDEN RED LIGHT AND APPLIED MY BRAKES HARD BUT NOT TOO HARD (I DID NOT SUDDENLY SLAM THE BRAKES). THE BRAKES APPLIED AS EXPECTED AT FIRST BUT THE BRAKES LET UP SOME AND MY VEHICLE FAILED TO DECELERATE FOR ABOUT HALF A SECOND BEFORE THE BRAKES APPLIED AGAIN AND DECELERATED TO A STOP. I WAS NOT ABLE TO DEPRESS THE PEDAL FURTHER WHEN IT WAS CLEAR THAT THE BRAKES WERE NOT DECELERATING."

I noticed this once on my '16, but I attributed it to the fact that at that moment I was braking and going over a rough spot at the same time, thus cancelling out the abs briefly.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
"6/13/2016 - AUSTIN, TX

I noticed this once on my '16, but I attributed it to the fact that at that moment I was braking and going over a rough spot at the same time, thus cancelling out the abs briefly.
If you hit a large bump while slowing down using regen, regen will deactivate for a split second (probably due to traction control) before re-engaging again. This actually feels like you are speeding up, when you are still slowing, just not at as fast a rate.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you hit a large bump while slowing down using regen, regen will deactivate for a split second (probably due to traction control) before re-engaging again. This actually feels like you are speeding up, when you are still slowing, just not at as fast a rate.
I get this in my 17 quite often. Not a fan, but I've gotten used to it and it doesn't scare the crap out of me when it happens any more.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I had the issue and my service advisor seemed to have not seen this before...About 10 Gen2 for sale on their lot...

Bottom line, its too early to tell...

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
I have many miles driven on a gen 3 Prius and a gen 1 Insight and this was common ... especially in the Insight. As best I can tell, any car with regenerative braking will do this.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I am concerned about this as well but as someone correctly pointed out above, the numbers are relative. The main issue is that most people come to this forum if they have a question/problem. The perfectly satisfied customers may never even see this site. Also - with the low number of volts sold - especially with Gen2 just hitting wide availability, it is too early to tell if this will be a widespread problem.

The fact that everyone affected seems to have been linked to the same module does indicate a potential TSB or recall point but only if the % of cars on the road support it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have many miles driven on a gen 3 Prius and a gen 1 Insight and this was common ... especially in the Insight. As best I can tell, any car with regenerative braking will do this.
Add the gen 2 Prius and original RAV4-EV to the list.. very disconcerting to have regen turn off although over time I got used to the bumpy locations on my commute where this would commonly happen to the point where I'd anticipate where I'd lose braking power. I would try to get as much region braking as possible before the bump and then try to coast through the bump. Often times region wouldn't return until the accelerator was pressed (which was usually after coming to a complete stop). I don't notice this behavior on the Leaf but then the Leaf has such crappy regen maybe it's just less noticeable.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Standard ABS behavior...

I get this in my 17 quite often. Not a fan, but I've gotten used to it and it doesn't scare the crap out of me when it happens any more.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts