GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Volt with 49,000 miles on it. It's been great! I commute 26 miles daily and plug in at work as well as home. I forget how to open the gas door! I drive another vehicle on the weekends and my habit has been to leave the Volt on the street after charging Friday night until Monday morning.
Last month I was rear-ended, hard, on the freeway by a 1961 Morgan. The Volt shows minor damage on the bumper cover which, I'm certain will reveal more damage when it's removed. There is no indication of damage to the rear panel in the trunk area and the 12v battery is secure with no physical damage.
Beginning on the Monday after the accident the car will not start unless jumped. The screen remains blank but there is power to the door lock actuators as the car unlocks when the button is pushed. I've tested the battery after commuting to work and it's fine. I have yet to test it when it won't start, but I'm leaving the tester in the car in order to test it at the next no start.
I'm curious if anyone has experienced a no start after a collision and what the fix may have been?
Thanks!

·
8,680 Posts
If the car works normally after jumping, it pretty much has to be a dead 12V battery causing the problem. Whether that's because it's just a dead battery or because something is draining the battery will require more effort to figure out. I think in your shoes I'd start with replacing the 12V, and see if the issue went away.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Last month I was rear-ended, hard, on the freeway by a 1961 Morgan.
You don't read that every day. Tough luck on your part, but I hope the Moggie didn't suffer too much either. There was a thread here recently about getting aluminum Bolts repaired. I don't know how many places could fix a Morgan.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
You don't read that every day. Tough luck on your part, but I hope the Moggie didn't suffer too much either. There was a thread here recently about getting aluminum Bolts repaired. I don't know how many places could fix a Morgan.
Only because it's tough to find a garage that has a carpenter anymore...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only because it's tough to find a garage that has a carpenter anymore...
Yep the frame is made from Ash and it's a five year waiting list for a new car from order.

The battery going flat may be the tip of an Ice Berg and a small indication of bigger problems.
I think a full under body inspection and diagnostic check with a 12volt battery load test at a Chevy dealer is called for, on the Morgan's insurance.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
No photo's??????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the interesting posts. The Morgan will live to drive another day...pretty bad hit though. The driver probably won't drive another day. The 93 year old mixed up the pedals and told the CHP officer that he ran in to a big white truck. He's getting a retest at the DMV, poor guy. Bumper into the radiator, into the engine compartment. Both fenders folded up pretty well. It felt like being hit by a cement truck.

The Volt only needed a rear cover and lower valance. The reinforcement bar was unscathed...amazing.

Oh yeah...the battery. Damnedest thing. Tests good sitting upright...fails test on it's side. I suspect a plate was broken during the impact. I had to fight the insurance company all the way to a VP to get paid for that one!

Picked it up from the body shop and the "SERVICE HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGING SYSTEM" message was on. I drove it home and will check coolant level and scan for codes in the morning. The fun never ends. May have a leak caused by the impact.

The hardest part of this was to lose commute lane access while driving an Impala LTZ rental. 1.5 extra commute hours per day for my 26 mile commute! Not a TYPO! 26 miles,1 hour in the AM, an hour 40 in the PM. Gotta love the SF Bay Area!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update on the No Start condition:
No problems after replacing battery....but, never really tested it because vehicle was always plugged in twice a day. Once overnight and again when arriving at work. Last month I retired and now my wife takes the Volt to work. She does not plug in during her work day. Last week it wouldn't start without a jump after sitting at work about 10 hours. A jumper battery is now part of our standard equipment in the vehicle and she was able to jump it on her own.
The 12v battery tests fine, it simply needs a charge after sitting. Next step will be testing for Parasitic Draw which has to be 1 amp or more to drag it down in 10 hours.Then I suppose I'll be checking connections and operation of the 14V Power Module (AKA Trunk Inverter). I actually heard the fan going on it while riding in the car last week which makes me think that the fan motor may be worn or have something hitting the fan blades. I certainly should not hear it running from inside the car.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone that may have been in a rear-ender and later had 12v battery problems.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
An update on the No Start condition:
No problems after replacing battery....but, never really tested it because vehicle was always plugged in twice a day. Once overnight and again when arriving at work. Last month I retired and now my wife takes the Volt to work. She does not plug in during her work day. Last week it wouldn't start without a jump after sitting at work about 10 hours. A jumper battery is now part of our standard equipment in the vehicle and she was able to jump it on her own.
The 12v battery tests fine, it simply needs a charge after sitting. Next step will be testing for Parasitic Draw which has to be 1 amp or more to drag it down in 10 hours.Then I suppose I'll be checking connections and operation of the 14V Power Module (AKA Trunk Inverter). I actually heard the fan going on it while riding in the car last week which makes me think that the fan motor may be worn or have something hitting the fan blades. I certainly should not hear it running from inside the car.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone that may have been in a rear-ender and later had 12v battery problems.
If it needs a charge after sitting for 10 hours on the replacement battery, there's definitely a short someplace, and you're probably going to need another AGM after they find and fix that. Because constant draining that far is REALLY hard on acid batteries, even AGMs.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
...Because constant draining that far is REALLY hard on acid batteries, even AGMs.
It's the sitting in the discharged state that chemically damages a Lead Acid battery.

That's why anytime you approach a car on a lot and the it needs a jump, demand a brand new battery be installed before buying it.

And if the salesman starts yapping about batteries,,, you know how to tell if a car salesman is lying, right?????:cool:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
One of those tiny lithium based battery jumpers?? Which model?? I've been looking at them to toss in the car....
I'm carrying around a Wagan IonBoost v8. Which seems kind of like overkill, but on Amazon the v6 didn't cost appreciably less. And it's also a TREMENDOUSLY long-lived flashlight, which is always handy to have in a car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts