GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Volt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I would strongly caution against trying to externally warm the battery. More than likely the actual temperature has nothing to do with your troubles. It's most likely a failed sensor. If you hook up a diagnostic tool and check the temperatures being reported I'd bet one of the 9 will read -40, indicating a failed sensor. The recall will allow that sensor to be ignored.
They won't perform the recall or anything else because they have been used before

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Volt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's what I got....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
In 2019 my family was blessed to be given a 2012 Chevy Volt from a friend.
The car has been sitting, plugged in, for two days. It will not start. It says 'battery too cold plug in to warm'. I've talked to Chevy Advisors, because of the year and mileage, the warranty is no longer existing. I've read everything I can on this issue, and have found nothing to work. I do not have the money to have it towed and a dealer look at it.

There were battery temperature sensor codes. I've disconnected the 12v and left it off overnight. I've held the power button for 5 seconds. Tried to jump it. Checked all
Fluids. Is there a way to bypass the codes? My husband has a code reader and I tried to clear the codes. Even after disconnecting 12v as soon as power turns on, check engine light turns on.

Side note... It's not been that cold. Has showed maybe twice. Where I park, the vehicle is blocked from pretty much all wind, weather from the sides.

What can I do? This is my only vehicle. I can't afford a dealer. I can't not have my car! I am a instant cart shopper and delivery person. Sitting here not making money is driving me insane!
Thanks Scott. I wonder if the OP ever got out of Service Mode.
They won't perform the recall or anything else because they have been used before
@JMcAmis16 ,
a) Just to be clear do you know that you are not in 'Service Mode'? -- ie. you say would not 'start' and are you specifically talking about the car electronics OR the gas engine. You need to be clear(er) please.
link above to post/thread.
b) potentially take a short video of you starting the car up and what happens or give a detailed step by step. ie. I [do | do not] put my foot on the brake, press the ...., see this on the display, etc.
c) Here is a related thread to the 'battery too cold plug in to warm' message and responses from a tech that used to be here:
d) There is also a 'Chevy Volt DIY repair and modding group' FB group that could give some more technical suggestions/explanations. Facebook Groups

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Volt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@JMcAmis16 ,
a) Just to be clear do you know that you are not in 'Service Mode'? -- ie. you say would not 'start' and are you specifically talking about the car electronics OR the gas engine. You need to be clear(er) please.
link above to post/thread.
b) potentially take a short video of you starting the car up and what happens or give a detailed step by step. ie. I [do | do not] put my foot on the brake, press the ...., see this on the display, etc.
c) Here is a related thread to the 'battery too cold plug in to warm' message and responses from a tech that used to be here:
d) There is also a 'Chevy Volt DIY repair and modding group' FB group that could give some more technical suggestions/explanations. Facebook Groups
I have tried many ways.

I press on break , press power button, the screen circles and says initializing. Everything except the engine comes on. The air turns on, but does not get hot or warm. Screen shows "battery too cold"When message I turn the car off by just pressing the power button once, everything shuts off. And I can hear the battery fan/heater turn on.

I have also not pressed the brake and held the button for a few seconds and everything turns on. Dash lights, radio, air etc. And it just says battery too cold.

During both of these, I can not switch through the messages, navigation, different things on dash . Also..the car ALWAYS shows it is charging. But has yet to go over 2 mile charge.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
I have tried many ways.

I press on break , press power button, the screen circles and says initializing. Everything except the engine comes on. The air turns on, but does not get hot or warm. Screen shows "battery too cold"When message I turn the car off by just pressing the power button once, everything shuts off. And I can hear the battery fan/heater turn on.

I have also not pressed the brake and held the button for a few seconds and everything turns on. Dash lights, radio, air etc. And it just says battery too cold.

During both of these, I can not switch through the messages, navigation, different things on dash . Also..the car ALWAYS shows it is charging. But has yet to go over 2 mile charge.
Thanks for the clarity and reply. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions except for my post above. I am sorry for you going through such challenging times.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

I have tried many ways.

What happens if you turn the car on as described, and then open the hood? This would normally start the engine.
And I'm assuming it won't let you take the car out of park once on?
Try keeping your foot off the brake and holding the power button. This puts the car into service mode. In this mode, the code reader may show something else, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm guessing this is saying the software recalls were already applied prior, which would show up when they pulled up the history, therefore it's not outstanding. That would eliminate the temperature sensor software fix noted. Honestly it may be best to sell it as a parts/project car.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Volt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you to all of you who tried to give me tips and ideas. I really appreciate you taking the time. It is all fine now! Charging, starts right up, no MIL, I'm SO relieved! Thank you thank you thank you!! ❤

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thank you to all of you who tried to give me tips and ideas. I really appreciate you taking the time. It is all fine now! Charging, starts right up, no MIL, I'm SO relieved! Thank you thank you thank you!! ❤
That's awesome. Glad you have this issue resolved.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Volt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well I thought I had it. Somehow it went back to service mode and will not go out. 😡😡😡

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Volt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Okay so... I just went back out to my car and literally the only thing that I did different was it was not plugged in since the last time I tried to start it and instead of pressing the button on the handle to the door I used the key fob to unlock the doors got in sat down started right up! I am now at our downtown parking garage plugged in to their chargers. Ran it in mountain mode on the way over ( literally 3 blocks) and gained a mile charge on the battery!!! So weird!!! Could there be a theft setting that enables it from starting ? Idk what it happening. It's running right now. And seems to be ok. No MIL. no messages.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
... It's running right now. And seems to be ok. No MIL. no messages.
That is great. Just remember that it is an electronic switch and only requires a quick press and immediate release to ' boot ' the car's computers. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Don't feel bad about winding up in Service Mode...it's a little harder to spot than say the TV being unplugged. lol Might I suggest that you sign up for email notification of posting to the forum and spending a half-hour or so on Saturday or Sunday to continue to familiarize yourself with the Volt? In addition, there are a couple of Youtube videos that explain how the Volt works...a little bit, anyway.

Good luck with and enjoy your Volt!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts