GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I had the 12 volt battery disconnected for maybe half an hour while installing a backup camera in my 2013 Volt. All went well and after reconnecting the battery I had to reset the time and date but I no longer have any readings on the TPMS, just a couple of dashed lines where each of the tire pressure readings should be. Is this something that will return when I drive the car next or will I need to take it to the Chevy garage to have something reset? It was working fine before this project.
I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I did check and couldn't find a solution to this problem. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Little Joe, Rob from South Australia here, I was told by the local techs that if/when one of the valves went faulty and a new one was installed it would soon, I presume after covering some kilometers that it would return a correct reading, I have not experienced a problem yet, so perhaps when you go for your next ride, after you we will all be the next to know!!

Rob

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Colchiro is correct; driving should cause the sensors to begin sending. Worst case, if the stored data was lost, any tire store can run the relearn process on the sensors in about 5 minutes. Americas Tires/Discount Tire might do it for free, but it shouldn't cost much if anything. How did the camera install go?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Today I had the 12 volt battery disconnected for maybe half an hour while installing a backup camera in my 2013 Volt. All went well and after reconnecting the battery I had to reset the time and date but I no longer have any readings on the TPMS, just a couple of dashed lines where each of the tire pressure readings should be.
TPMS not getting a reading - Replacing Body Control Module

I would suggest unplugging the newly installed camera's power adapter long enough to verify it isn't creating RF interference causing the TPMS to malfunction...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
If the TPMS sent data all the time the small primary cell battery would go dead in a short time.

remember-- you also reset est range and some service flags ( some states do look at them for yearly testing)

Took me 3 years to get them back where I could pass Texas state inspection.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I finished the backup camera project late in the afternoon and I haven't driven the car since then. I'll be driving into town tomorrow, about a 25 mile round trip, so maybe that will get the TPMS working again.
The backup camera system is working well. I found a combo camera/license plate light that replaces one of the original lights. This way I didn't have to drill any holes in the plastic bumper cover and it isn't as obvious as the kind that mount on the license plate. It uses the backup light for power and is closed circuit to the display that I located in the opening behind the gear shift. Not as fancy as OEM but not bad for about $50.

Update:
I'm happy to report that those who said the tire pressure readings would return after driving the car were right. I probably wasn't even a mile down the road when the readings popped up. That was the first time I disconnected the 12 volt battery since buying the car in February and wasn't sure what to expect.
I'm very happy with the Volt and the backup camera should make it a little easier to live with.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Not sure on their actual design, but my hunch is that they don't send signal unless there is fluctuation in pressure (i.e. driving or inflating/deflating the tire) in order to save battery.
So sitting there without change, they're not doing much. But get moving and they come to life.

Also explains how the relearn procedure works - in some cars you just let air out of one tire at a time and it registers it.
Relearn tool likely just 'zaps' them to wake them up one at a time without need to change the pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts