GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
It always amazes me that people make major purchases, like a car, and then never take the time to read the manual and understand the various features and quirks of the car they just purchased. Had you read the manual you would've learned about mountain mode. When using mountain mode, I have crested many mountains at 75 mph with no issues whatsoever and definitely no PPR messages. This car was in fact designed to be a hill climber.

·
Registered
419 Posts
...and further to AlomostEV's response above why anyone would purchase a plug-in hybrid vehicle when they don't have ready access to at least a working 120VAC outlet is simply beyond me....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for the incredibly positive responses guys. I expected better...

FYI, I researched this car for months before I bought it. I know about mountain mode, it was in mountain mode. I never intended it to be my go to vehicle for going to the mountains - that's what my trucks are for. It's just a commuter. I charge the car DAILY at work at a dedicated and reserved spot, so there's no real "need" to charge it at home. And yes, I knew this all before I got it. Less than 10% of the miles I drive with this car is on the ICE and 99% of those are on flat roads and my lifetime mpgs are at about 110 mpg, so not sure why your attacking me. But you do you!

Thanks for the help....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not to be mean on your first post here, but...

Seriously, read your manual, watch a YouTube video, do anything to learn how the car works and you won't have these problems.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe the OP had a working 120V at home when he bought the car, and still has access to a 240V outlet at work.

OP - I suggest you get a good extension cord and start charging at home again if you intend to climb the mountains. And to answer your questions, yes this is how the Gen 1 works. Gen 2 has a more powerful ICE, which will likely climb your mountain without struggling - and without battery power available.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
1) As others have said: RTFM. Mountain mode is made for exactly this reason and would completely solve your problem. In fact, Volt is fun in the hills because of this... smooth, steady power with no gear shifting (though it can be a bit loud with the ICE when pushing it).

2) You can probably charge at home again if you replace that garage outlet with something quality, and inspect all other outlets on that circuit (make sure the wires are screwed on, not pushed into the back). I've charged for 5 years on good 'ol 120V without issues, but it's because I use quality outlets on a dedicated line. I also rent, but was able to get landlord to put in a special outlet for me. You can get by on 8A charging (switch on your EVSE) with a non-dedicated circuit, mostly likely, if you have quality outlets correctly installed.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The 1.4 liter ICE in the Gen 1 Volt is good for about 86 HP by itself. Not nearly enough to climb I-70 west out of Denver. Use Mountain Mode to give yourself some battery to assist that small engine. The 1.5 liter ICE engine in the Gen 2 Volt is more than sufficient to get over any Colorado mountain pass without EV assist.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Be sure to select "mountain mode" 15-20 minutes before you start climbing. That gives the car enough time to build up the battery charge for the climb.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When climbing mountains (Gen2), I do not experience a significant difference in power between "engine power" and "engine and battery power" as displayed on the energy flow indicator.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Could we please name it HILL mode so I can use it in Texas :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
As others have mentioned, engage Mountain Mode which will charge the battery up to about 4 bars on the Gen 1 (2 bars on the Gen 2) about 15-20 minutes prior to your hill climb and you will not have any issues.

Attempting to climb a steep grade with a fully depleted battery and no buffer will result in a PPR message. This is normal for the car and not a cause for concern.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, you guys are rude....I didn't realize it was such a ridiculous question. I've been on about 20 different online forums over the last 12 years and have never had a greeting like this.

FYI I was in Mountain Mode, I did read the manual, and I did research the car very thoroughly before the purchase. I guess I'll save any further questions for the dealership.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Man, you guys are rude....I didn't realize it was such a ridiculous question. I've been on about 20 different online forums over the last 12 years and have never had a greeting like this.

FYI I was in Mountain Mode, I did read the manual, and I did research the car very thoroughly before the purchase. I guess I'll save any further questions for the dealership.
Your first post gave the impression that you could not charge using Level 2 and Level 1 charging was not an option since there was a problem with the 120V outlet you were using to charge using Level 1. You made no mention of having engaged Mountain mode prior to attempting any of the mountain ascents. When using Mountain mode at least 20 minutes prior to starting an ascent your Volt should have started the ascent with 4 bars of battery charge showing on the battery meter. Reduced propulsion should not have appeared. Maybe there is a problem with the Volt's battery.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your first post gave the impression that you could not charge using Level 2 and Level 1 charging was not an option since there was a problem with the 120V outlet you were using to charge using Level 1....
and that's an acceptable reason to act so rudely?

No worries, I'll take my questions elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

You need a thick skin before discussing anything on the internet, but I have to say, he has a point. Quite a few replies in this thread were unnecessarily harsh. I don't blame him for leaving. It kind of looks like some people were getting defensive over an unjustified perceived criticism of the Volt, and then attacking the author. Totally unnecessary. Folks, let's keep the traditionally friendly tone here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts