GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been a gear head for many years and was impressed with the novelty of electric cars, but never thought I'd get one for myself. With this movement towards electric cars, especially coming from GM, I became more of an advocate for what's on the horizon for electric cars, but its hard to really get it unless you actually drive one.

Well, two days ago, I bought a 2017 Volt, although not a Premier, but I think I will be happy with it nonetheless. The last two days have been pretty fun so far, although it takes a little getting use to. I hope to learn a lot from this group and I hope to become a better advocate for the electric car now that I am also an owner.

·
Super Moderator
6,311 Posts
Welcome aboard. Hope you have great fun for many years.

Consider trying to drive in (L)ow for a few days .... which is not a gearing thing but only a computer controls max regen braking thing. You can get use to easing up on the accelerator to slow down for corners, other cars, etc. PLUS it will save on your brake pads!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car. I'm sure you'll appreciate the quiet and smooth ride and of course not going to the gas station, the worst consumer experience in the country. :D (I actually find I'm OK with going but that's because it's part of a road trip experience).

I suspect your just driving the Volt will be good advocacy.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
...Consider trying to drive in (L)ow for a few days .... which is not a gearing thing but only a computer controls max regen.... PLUS it will save on your brake pads!
Why does this myth continue?
You can get the exact same amount of "max regen" from using the brake pedal, driving it just like a normal car,,,
BECAUSE the Volt has 'Blended Brakes'.

AFTER the regen is maxed out THEN the Brake Pads begin blending in to add braking force as commanded by the driver, just by using the Brake Pedal!

This is a feature NOT found on a Tesla.
You must ADOPT this 'One Pedal' driving style if you want regen in a Tesla. The Brake Pedal is just an old fashioned brake pedal in a Tesla.

They don't have the technology of Blended Brakes. Do you EVER see this mentioned in the swooning press???

·
4,867 Posts
...Consider trying to drive in (L)ow for a few days .... which is not a gearing thing but only a computer controls max regen.... PLUS it will save on your brake pads!
Why does this myth continue?
You can get the exact same amount of "max regen" from using the brake pedal, driving it just like a normal car,,,
BECAUSE the Volt has 'Blended Brakes'.

AFTER the regen is maxed out THEN the Brake Pads begin blending in to add braking force as commanded by the driver, just by using the Brake Pedal!

This is a feature NOT found on a Tesla.
You must ADOPT this 'One Pedal' driving style if you want regen in a Tesla. The Brake Pedal is just an old fashioned brake pedal in a Tesla.

They don't have the technology of Blended Brakes. Do you EVER see this mentioned in the swooning press???
Because it’s not a myth. One method guarantees no brake use, and the other one does not. You are confusing what something is capable of versus what happens in practice.

·
Super Moderator
6,311 Posts
Because it’s not a myth. One method guarantees no brake use, and the other one does not. You are confusing what something is capable of versus what happens in practice.
Yes, that is exactly right. With the car in (L)ow it is very simple utilize one-pedal driving and requires no "well tuned" right foot to get the easiest and most regen. It is a new person so I was going for quick to explain and simple to use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After some experimentation I have found that the economy is better when driving in D than in L, especially of you are careful to brake early so you only use the regen and not the pads. I can understand why: when coasting there is minimal regen. When in L it is hard to find the point where the car coasts, so you end up doing more regen. The problem is that regeneration isn't 100% efficient.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi, I've been a gear head for many years and was impressed with the novelty of electric cars, but never thought I'd get one for myself. With this movement towards electric cars, especially coming from GM, I became more of an advocate for what's on the horizon for electric cars, but its hard to really get it unless you actually drive one.

Well, two days ago, I bought a 2017 Volt, although not a Premier, but I think I will be happy with it nonetheless. The last two days have been pretty fun so far, although it takes a little getting use to. I hope to learn a lot from this group and I hope to become a better advocate for the electric car now that I am also an owner.
Welcome to the party! Snacks and drinks are in the other room. I bought a 2014 this summer and have never regretted the choice. I love the silent driving, without compromising on safety, style, or power (mostly... I'm not a NASCAR driver.)

My commute is 7.5 miles one way on surface streets, so the volt is a perfect choice for me. I have the extended range for out of town trips or days with lots of errands. I plug in at night and am ready for the next day's adventures.

I'm sure you with find the Volt to be a very rewarding purchase. You do get over the muscle car rumble pretty quickly. There's enough built in tech to peak the curiosity.

I do miss the stops at the gas station. Those roller bites and donuts are sure tasty. Now I don't really have an excuse to stop.

Again, welcome to the club!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
No brake use? Maybe you'd like to clear that up?

After some experimentation I have found that the economy is better when driving in D than in L, especially of you are careful to brake early so you only use the regen and not the pads. I can understand why: when coasting there is minimal regen. When in L it is hard to find the point where the car coasts, so you end up doing more regen. The problem is that regeneration isn't 100% efficient.
I've heard other people say this too.

Driving in L is the lazy way. I shift to L when it's helpful (need or want to slow down faster than usual) and back to D so as not to make the wife car sick unnecessarily. It takes a little extra effort but it's fun to use the shifter creatively. That and the car can coast like a normal car in D. That can be useful too.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
...You are confusing what something is capable of versus what happens in practice.
That totally clears up any confusion....:confused:

... utilize one-pedal driving and requires no "well tuned" right foot to get the easiest and most regen. ...
See, you have been assimilated :p into Tesla's version of DEMANDING that an EV driver MUST use this 'One-Pedal' method.
Tesla lacks the technology to offer 'Blended Brakes'.

It is not required in GM EV's to 'get the most regen'. You can get that driving just like a normal person using the brake pedal to slow down.
Plus, when TSHF while coming to a stop, you're already on the Brake Pedal to use max Friction Brakes without changing 'Driving Styles'.

After some experimentation I have found that the economy is better when driving in D than in L, ... you only use the regen and not the pads. ...when coasting there is minimal regen. When in L it is hard to find the point where the car coasts, ...
Right, if you want 'Coast' in a Tesla or when driving a Volt in 'L', YOU must work at finding what Coast is.
Your foot has to be planted on that Go Pedal for the entire trip, 'Workin' it'.

Some people like 'Workin' it'. Good for them!
But the claim that it is required to "Get the most out of Regen" is just muddying the waters for new and potential EV buyers.
GM even messed it up with such claims when the Bolt was new.

Side Note: My '14 Spark EV at 45k miles has Brake Pads that are like new and I drive 'D'.
But I found a rusted Caliper Slider Pin in one position while doing other work.
This may be an important Preventative Maintenance Item for all EV's.
They still can't make a properly sealed Caliper Slider Pin assembly....:mad:

Side side note: What's so horrible about letting your pads kiss the discs once in a while? They'll still last forever!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm with Norton on this one. Don't tell people to change the way they drive to get this mythical regen effect. The car does it automatically just fine. One can debates the merits of which method may or may not be fractionally better, but is that really helpful to a newbie EV driver? Just drive and enjoy. There is time to discover new tricks later. I find myself driving as Mister Dave mentions. Even in my wife's Bolt.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I find myself driving as Mister Dave mentions. Even in my wife's Bolt.
I miss it sometimes when I'm driving my Silverado.

Don't tell people to change the way they drive to get this mythical regen effect.
I'm more concerned with mods disseminating falsehoods. Doesn't matter which way I go - a full stop requires use of the hydraulic brakes. I'm really surprised at what I read here, in the newcomers area no less.

But I agree that driving it as it was designed to be driven is best for new owners. The manual has recommendations for when to use L. In stop-and-go traffic for example, it's really very helpful.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am still amazed at that animosity against L :)

Yes you can preserve your brakes just as well using the brake pedal regenerative braking
What I suppose the previous poster meant by L guarantees no brake is used, is that if you use the brake pedal you do not absolutely know when the friction brakes engage while in L you Know they don't.
And yes in both cases you will eventually use some friction brakes to stop.

But that is irrelevant, because L is not about optimizing efficiency, it is about the pleasure of one pedal driving.

You don't enjoy one pedal driving, that is your absolute right.
No need to denigrate L because of it though. Those of us who do enjoy one pedal driving like it just fine :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Don't tell people to change the way they drive to get this mythical regen effect.
I've got nothing against L, and I use it. But I know what happens if I tell my wife how to drive :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm with Norton on this one. Don't tell people to change the way they drive to get this mythical regen effect. The car does it automatically just fine. One can debates the merits of which method may or may not be fractionally better, but is that really helpful to a newbie EV driver? Just drive and enjoy. There is time to discover new tricks later. I find myself driving as Mister Dave mentions. Even in my wife's Bolt.
I don't think anybody is "telling" anyone how to drive.

But I think it is fine to inform new comers that some of us have tried One pedal driving, and found out they like it so much that we never use anything else.

Up to the new comers to decide if they wants to explore it or not.

Note to the OP: If you do want to explore one pedal driving (L), my recommendation is commit to it for a month, then go back to using D and decide. The reason is that it takes some getting use to, and the difference will appear a lot more obvious when you have become accustomed to it.
My 2 cents :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use L mode on my Volt a lot because I am good ad modulating the pedal and only going in to regen when I intend to.

I've told my wife not to use it on hers as she doesn't pay enough attention to modulating the pedal and ends up rollercoasting her speeds up and down which costs mileage.

I would use it less and just use the brake pedal IF it was clear when I'm passing the line of max regen vs friction brakes - it's unclear, so I know if I want to squeeze every single watt back into the battery when slowing down without bleeding any of it to heat via the friction brakes, L mode is the only way. I think that this is what a lot of people mean when they push L mode.

But, if not used carefully, it can be a negative.

·
4,867 Posts
I find myself driving as Mister Dave mentions. Even in my wife's Bolt.
I miss it sometimes when I'm driving my Silverado.

I'm more concerned with mods disseminating falsehoods. Doesn't matter which way I go - a full stop requires use of the hydraulic brakes. I'm really surprised at what I read here, in the newcomers area no less.

But I agree that driving it as it was designed to be driven is best for new owners. The manual has recommendations for when to use L. In stop-and-go traffic for example, it's really very helpful.
If you want to claim we are perpetuating falsehoods please back it up with factual evidence.

When in Low, brake pad use is guaranteed to be zero. Unless you press the brakes of course. Then brake pads may be used, just like they may be used when in D.

“But what about coasting being more efficient?” You can coast just as easily in L by feathering the accelerator. In fact D has some regeneration too so max efficiency is by feathering there too.

People can have better results in one mode versus another but that’s due to their own habits and style of driving.

I think the main point that Scott was trying to make is that L is really a neat feature available on electric vehicles. For people that understand it and use it properly it really can be more efficient, and besides that it’s great fo cruise control to hold back speed when going down hills and in stop and go traffic.

It also can be great in the winter. I’ve had multiple instances where L slowed me down more than brake pads and ABS would have. I also have a co-worker that swears L saved his life on the interstate. He was the first person in a large pileup that was able to stop by using L and not the brakes.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
If you want to claim we are perpetuating falsehoods please back it up with factual evidence.
Because it’s not a myth. One method guarantees no brake use, and the other one does not.
Sure, I can requote it.

When in Low, brake pad use is guaranteed to be zero. Unless you press the brakes of course. Then brake pads may be used, just like they may be used when in D.
Which you would do when stopping.

This isn't a Bolt.

·
4,867 Posts
Because it’s not a myth. One method guarantees no brake use, and the other one does not.
Sure, I can requote it.

Which you would do when stopping.

This isn't a Bolt.
Sure, that is true. From 3mph to 0mph I use some brake pads. From 70mph down to 3mph, with L I’m guaranteed to use none given proper technique.

Which I do 5 days a week coming off the interstate when returning from work. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts