GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yup...I have been watching it stall. I get the issues that the Bay Area is facing though. I think the distribution of Green/White stickers is uneven. The White Sticker distribution is probably heavily in SFO/Bay Area as well very SoCal.

Although I'm sure the "money" up north is really pressing them to keep this initiative going, there really should be a study on where the carpools are getting hurt the most. I traverse the 405 freeway from OC to LA (going against traffic...if there is such a thing) and the amount of green/white HOV stickers is low. I imagine that other areas are very populated and do cause the average speed to fall low.

But also given the amount of people in CA (North or South), carpooling does not solve the issue. Toll roads only help those who can afford it (and I'm sure they could just give some discounted rates to EV/PHEV drivers instead of free) to keep congestion down but also distribute the traffic.

EDIT: It says for the year....so we'll see what happens next cycle. Depends on who is elected.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Good. We need to reduce the number of vehicles on the road just as much as the pollution levels of the vehicles. The stickers remove the incentive to carpool.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wonder if this sentiment will affect the Governor's likelihood of signing SB838 which will add stickers but not extend the expiration.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sad?!?! No! It's wonderful for us, and for GM.

Most of the green stickers are on Volts.

Great news for those of us that have Volts with green stickers - the value of our cars goes up by a few thousand bucks.

Great news for GM, because a key component of their Bolt customer base will be Volt owners. Anything that increases the value of the trade-in (like, say, ride pool lane stickers) will increase sales of the Bolt for GM. And, we wouldn't have to give up car pool lane stickers either - we'd just change their color.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sad?!?! No! It's wonderful for us, and for GM.

Most of the green stickers are on Volts.

Great news for those of us that have Volts with green stickers - the value of our cars goes up by a few thousand bucks.

Great news for GM, because a key component of their Bolt customer base will be Volt owners. Anything that increases the value of the trade-in (like, say, ride pool lane stickers) will increase sales of the Bolt for GM. And, we wouldn't have to give up car pool lane stickers either - we'd just change their color.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I can sell my fully loaded, green-stickered 2015 Volt bought in October (only 6K miles) at a better price in a few months, pick up a similarly equipped 2017 Bolt, and still keep my coveted HOV access (30-40 minutes of commute time savings per day). Win-win!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I can sell my fully loaded, green-stickered 2015 Volt bought in October (only 6K miles) at a better price in a few months, pick up a similarly equipped 2017 Bolt, and still keep my coveted HOV access (30-40 minutes of commute time savings per day). Win-win!!!
Yup! I was talking with the manager of a dealership. His comment was along the lines that the sticker was worth about $3k in value on a car if they're still giving them out. If they happen to run out, the value goes up to about $5-$6k in value.

My Volt was my (early) retirement car. I commuted 66 miles on So Cal freeways every day. Then, 8 days after I retired, I got the coveted green sticker. I had to - for only $8, it adds a few thousand dollars to the value of my car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This New Site to which I am responding, is based on Old News,,,,,see the site and post listed below.

See post No. 19 in the site labeled: CA green HOV stickers, what is the latest news?

We will have green stickers very soon !!

As for a premium sales price on existing gen1's, be happy that the stickers today MAY assist you in selling your car. If you are following

sales on this GM site you will see that a perfect 2015, with every option sold 2 days ago for $17,500,,WITH HOV STICKERS.

Worth $thousands more,,,,,,NOPE !! BUT IT SOLD !!!!!!!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Perhaps the thread should have "in California" in its subject line?
I can still get HOV stickers for my Volt in MD.

Of course, MD only has 2 stretches of highway totaling about 15 miles that I could even use the stickers....and I never drive along those stretches, so they are pretty worthless to me. Hence why I haven't bothered getting them.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I'm sure glad I live in the boonies and flat land here in southern Illinois. Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers to drive our cars.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm sure glad I live in the boonies and flat land here in southern Illinois. Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers to drive our cars.
We don't need no stickers to drive here, it just takes longer. I have HOV stickers on my LEAF and Volt, but do not commute to work. I only walk about 20 steps to my computer, and don't run into any time-consuming event unless the wife asks me to do something. When I do go on the freeways during commuter time, I notice the HOV lane can get quite crowded. So I try to avoid driving on them during those times, and instead try to take surface streets.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2017 Volt owner now, but was in a C-Max with CA green stickers the last 3 years.

I live in the San Fernando Valley and work in the Valencia area. My 2013 C-MAX has the green stickers. My 19 mile 25 minute commute northbound through the Newhall Pass only has about 2 miles of carpool lane available, which due to generally light traffic, rarely adds any opportunity for time savings, but sometimes might keep my time from growing 5 minutes.

On those occasions that I need to head southbound through the Sepulveda Pass to the airport the carpool lanes on the 405 Fwy are an absolute joke. They're as much a parking lot as the other 4 lanes, and sometimes even slower.

On a recent trip to San Diego during morning commute hours it was largely the same story, the carpool lanes were so jammed most of the trip they were meaningless.

YMMV, of course, and while I'm anxious to get stickers for the Volt just in case I may benefit in the future, realistically in my current situation they're not a big benefit for me.

Re: green stickers adding thousands of dollars to several years old cars, I'm highly dubious. I'd need to see sales data comparing identically equipped, identical condition/mileage vehicles sold at the same time in the same market to believe it.

One interesting observation regarding the CA White stickers and Teslas around here is that I see an awful lot of Teslas without them. Pretty strange...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think it will become law automatically if he doesn't specifically veto it. copied and pasted:

The governor must sign or veto legislation within 12 days of the day of transmittal, or it becomes law without his/her signature. However, if the 12th day is a Sunday or a holiday, the governor has until the next working day to act. The governor has until September 30 to sign or veto legislation in his/her possession on the day the legislature adjourns (usually August 31), or it becomes law without being signed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts