GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told today when cancelling my full Onstar package after my free 3 months that the remote start, door unlock, and other minor features were no longer free. I read elsewhere on this forum that those features were free for 5 years. Anyone else have this problem after cancelling the full package?

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 2015 Spark EV Onstar just expired last month, but remote start functions still works...

I cannot get status anymore though.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
What does the purchase paperwork you get when you bought the car say?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
According to my.chevrolet.com, under connected services, it says my Basic Plan is good until December 30, 2019, and Chevrolet Connected Access is good until May 8, 2023. So I'm not sure when my smartphone remote start function ends.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does the purchase paperwork you get when you bought the car say?
I couldn't find any mention of it in the purchase paperwork. I guess I just assumed it was a standard feature and not something that needed to be negotiated with the salesman.
I did find reference to something on the GM Authority website called Chevrolet Connected Access which allows you to remote start with the phone app free for 10 years. I guess that's what I thought the OnStar remote start was. Maybe I had a misunderstanding about what I was losing. I thought I was losing the remote start from the app but maybe they meant I could no longer call and have them remote start it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
In 2018 GM redefined the OnStar pricing and services packages. They also changed the duration of the OnStar basic services. Owners of 2016 and 2017 Volt, Bolt vehicles received 5 years of free Basic OnStar services.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In 2018 GM redefined the OnStar pricing and services packages. They also changed the duration of the OnStar basic services. Owners of 2016 and 2017 Volt, Bolt vehicles received 5 years of free Basic OnStar services.
I bought mine on May 19, 2018 so I should have 10 years of Chevrolet Connected Access unless I'm reading it wrong.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
It is hard to find current online information regarding the changes that GM has made to OnStar Basic Service. Here is one article that appears to have factual information: http://canada.autonews.com/article/20180430/CANADA01/304309996/gm-positions-onstar-as-revenue-centre-brand-builder

Based on the information in the article, effective May 1, 2018, in Canada and the US the 5 year Basic OnStar service plan has been replaced by a 10 year plan. The new 10 year plan does not include remote access functions. You will need to sign up for one of the new OnStar fee-based plans to be able to use the MyChevrolet App remote vehicles access functions to lock, unlock, flash/honk and remote start your Volt. Pricing for the new OnStar services start at US $14.99 per month (for just the remote access functions.) You can, of course, use your Volt's key fob to perform these functions (assuming you are within key fob range of the Volt.)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll let you know in two weeks as my three month plan is over at the end of the month and I do not plan to pay for any OnStar service.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is hard to find current online information regarding the changes that GM has made to OnStar Basic Service. Here is one article that appears to have factual information: http://canada.autonews.com/article/20180430/CANADA01/304309996/gm-positions-onstar-as-revenue-centre-brand-builder

Based on the information in the article, effective May 1, 2018, in Canada and the US the 5 year Basic OnStar service plan has been replaced by a 10 year plan. The new 10 year plan does not include remote access functions. You will need to sign up for one of the new OnStar fee-based plans to be able to use the MyChevrolet App remote vehicles access functions to lock, unlock, flash/honk and remote start your Volt. Pricing for the new OnStar services start at US $14.99 per month (for just the remote access functions.) You can, of course, use your Volt's key fob to perform these functions (assuming you are within key fob range of the Volt.)
Based on this article I should have the remote apps free for 10 years:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gene...r-plans-pricing/onstar-basic-plan-info-price/

“In 2018, General Motors, its vehicle brands and OnStar rebranded the OnStar Basic Plan to [insert GM brand] Connected Access, as such:
Chevrolet Connected Access
Cadillac Connected Access
GMC Connected Access
Buick Connected Access
The change in name is accompanied by a two-fold increase in the lifespan of the service (from five years to ten). Included services consist of:
Keyfob services that enable owners to remotely start, lock/unlock doors, as well as activate the horn and lights from the myChevrolet, myBuick, myGMC or myCadillac or OnStar RemoteLink app
Vehicle Diagnostics
Dealer Maintenance Notification
Smart Driver
Marketplace (App Shop)
Though the lifespan of the service has doubled, the service is no longer transferable between owners. Instead, the connectivity is available only to the original purchaser for ten years from the date of initial vehicle purchase for model year 2018 or newer GM vehicles starting on May 1, 2018. Subsequent owners receive five years of the service from the time of their purchase.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gene.../onstar-basic-plan-info-price/#ixzz5OffmotWD”

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The two articles do not agree on whether Remote Access continue to be included in what used to be called Basic Plan, now called Connected Services. The GM Authority article does not even make any mention of Remote Access Package being available for $14.99/mo. The only way to find out what is the bottom line it contact OnStar, that's is what I would do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2018 Volt last month and just took a look at my OnStar account to see what I still have after one month. OnStar is inactive and so is Chevrolet Connectivity: Access unlimited app streaming and connected navigation services, if equipped. Plus, control your vehicle and access its status with your smartphone.

The only service that's still active is Chevrolet Connected Access through July, 2028. That service includes vehicle diagnostics, dealer maintenance notification and Marketplace.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I bought a 2018 Volt last month and just took a look at my OnStar account to see what I still have after one month. OnStar is inactive and so is Chevrolet Connectivity: Access unlimited app streaming and connected navigation services, if equipped. Plus, control your vehicle and access its status with your smartphone.

The only service that's still active is Chevrolet Connected Access through July, 2028. That service includes vehicle diagnostics, dealer maintenance notification and Marketplace.

FYI: The specific language of 'Remote Start (Precondition)' for MY2018 was sunsetted back on 4/30 when OnStar Basic Plan changed to the current 10yrs of Chevy Connected Access.

You could look this up here: 2018 Online Order / Reference Guide

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Basically, effective May 1, 2018, new Volt buyers will get 10 years of OnStar Connected Services that are of limited utility compared to the old OnStar Basic Plan. You must now pay $14.99 USD per month for the privilege of using the OnStar Remote Access Package to be able to remotely lock, unlock, honk horn and flash the lights and to be able to remotely start your GM/Chevrolet vehicle.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just logged into my.chevrolet.com. Chevrolet Connected Access is the only one that is active and it says Active through May 2028.
One of the inactive/gray items says "Chevrolet Connectivity" and I clicked Shop now. The "Chevrolet Remote Access" plan (that includes Remote key fob) is listed as as 14.99 per month.

So my initial understanding was that I would have 5 years of free connected service that includes remote key fob, but it seems that's no longer true.

However I tried to use the app, and I was able to start preconditioning (I've not really physically gone down to check), but the app says it was successful.

I have a 2018; the only thing different from my case to the OP is that I never gave them my CC to get the 3 month deal. I stayed with 1 month trial and I never had to call to cancel. So I am kinda "lucky" that I didn't do the 3 month thing?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just checked the myChevrolet app on my iPhone and all the functions are gone. I refuse to pay $15 a month to start my car a few times per week. I’ve never had that functionality before so I can’t say I’ll miss it but it would have been nice. I guess that’s one selling point they no longer have. Was that a selling point in my buying decision? No. Adaptive cruise was. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
the https://my.chevrolet.com/home web page now requires a valid email address as your user name and you can not progress tell that is done.

They did have my email address and auto filled the area but the verification email never arrived.

I tried several more times for a week - Called online support but even the password reset email's they sent which I did get did not work.

They suggested to make a new account and then attach the onstar service after I got in to the new account. ( this worked )

Setting up via a different email service (gmail.com ) this time and NOT the old email account I used before worked fine.

----

I can lock/unlock my car but app times out and it takes 10 to 15 mins to unlock. ( apps says the operation may still work )
I can NOT get any Vehicle status data with the app

Called Onstar and they can get my data and see my codes for (service high voltage charging system ) that is still to be fixed.

---------------
I noticed that voltstats was not getting my data a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Do look at the new apps

The old remotelink and the myChevrolet both are updated

at least the Owner Manual section
That you are really going to like as a in your pocket guide.

I only have the lower 2 level plas of the old 3 level plans.

--------------
The app works with my Apple watch but just the FOB commands
Lock-Honk and pre-warm up

1 - 20 of 72 Posts